PDA

View Full Version : Blades/Silvertips Make Trade

Scout
10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Blades Acquire Fiala From Silvertips

The Saskatoon Blades have acquired 20 year old Ondrej Fiala from the Everett Silvertips in exchange for the Blades 3rd round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

Fiala, who was born in Stenberk, Czech Rep. was a 2nd round (40th overall) draft choice of the Minnesota Wild in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The 6’1”, 195lbs. centre/left winger has represented his country at the 2004/05 U-18 IIHF World Junior Championships and was also a member of Team Orr at the 2006 Home Hardware Top Prospects Game.

“We are excited to have acquired a player of Ondrej’s calibre and feel that he will bring an element of offense to our team that has been lacking in our first handful of games,” commented Blades GM/Head Coach Lorne Molleken. “Ondrej is a highly skilled creative player that competes hard in all areas and will fit well in our top two lines. We feel that he sees the ice well and is a player who can perform in all situations for us.”

Fiala’s WHL statistics:

Year GP G A PTS PIM
2005/06 51 21 14 35 26
2006/07 39 12 21 33 26

To accommodate the move the Blades have released 19 year old Slovakian forward Robert Brandis.

The trade leaves the Blades with four overage players. The hockey club must have their 20 year old situation narrowed down to three players by the WHL deadline of October 11th.

Trav
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Fiala should help up front, Brandis was doing nothing. Pattersson the odd man out among the 20's.

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes I do like this deal as well even though Fiala takes up 2 spots,that does not matter too much. I really hope this can kick start the forwards into gear and the team can win some games because they need to start soon. It is also good that he can play Centre and Left Wing. I really like these versatile forwards.

dagley
10-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Good job on Saskatoon for getting him, I wanted him here in Brandon since I heard about Everett's log jam.

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=959b473f-44a7-4e21-9fe1-dc701bef8575

Blades add Czech player, looking for better finish

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, October 05, 2007

With his team struggling to score goals, Saskatoon Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken searched far and wide for a sniper this week.

He found one in Everett, Wash.

On Thursday, the Blades acquired Czech forward Ondrej Fiala from the Everett Silvertips in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2009 WHL bantam draft.

"He's one of the elite players in our league," said Molleken, who watched Fiala register an assist Wednesday in Everett's 4-0 home win over the Spokane Chiefs.

Fiala, who turns 20 next month, comes to Saskatoon with plenty of plaudits -- but also something to prove. During two seasons with Everett, he missed 54 games due to injuries. Knee surgery prevented him from competing in the Silvertips' playoff run last season. All signs point to a full recovery, though, as Fiala was a late cut from the NHL's Minnesota Wild, who drafted him 40th overall in 2006. Minnesota retains his rights until June.

"He's a first-line player in this league," Everett GM Doug Soetaert told the Everett Herald last week. "He's very talented and he's 100 per cent healthy and cleared to play. He was flying in our training camp."

During his first two seasons with Everett, Fiala registered 33 goals and 35 assists in 90 games.

"He'll give our power play a boost and he can play all three (forward) positions," said Molleken, who'll have Fiala in the lineup for Monday's game against the Regina Pats (2:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre).

BLADES RELEASE BRANDIS

Fiala counts against the Blades' import and overage quotas. WHL teams can carry two imports and three overage players. To make room for Fiala, Molleken released 19-year-old Slovakian winger Robert Brandis.

"He's a character kid who works extremely hard, but we had an opportunity to upgrade our team," Molleken said of Brandis.

Finnish defenceman Jyri Niemi, 17, holds the other import spot.

The Blades now have four overage players and one must go by Oct. 11. Fiala and centre Chris Durand are likely safe, leaving winger Michael Kaye and defenceman Curtis Patterson to battle for the other spot.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Scout
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Molleken Speaks About Fiala Trade
Posted by Les Lazaruk on Friday, October 5, 2007 at 07:42:00 AM.

The Saskatoon Blades made a move yesterday to shore up their offence, acquiring 20-year-old Czech forward Ondrej Fiala from Everett for a third round pick in the 2009 Bantam draft. Fiala, a Minnesota Wild second round draft pick in 2006, scored 33 goals in 90 games over the past two seasons with the Silvertips. His acquisition meant Slovak import Robert Brandis was released and that the Blades have until Thursday to release one of their now four 20-year-olds. Forwards Michael Kaye and Chris Durand plus defenceman Curtis Patterson are the other 1987-born players on the Blades' now 27-man roster.
Other bloggers do this so I figured I would as well, giving readers a bit of a public service. I spoke with Blades' general manager and head coach Lorne Molleken after the deal was done. Here's how the conversation went...

L.L.: Lorne, you've addressed a two-spot situation, one an import, the other a 20-year-old, all wrapped up in one player. You've acquired Ondrej Fiala from Everett. What's the story behind the deal?
L.M.: Well, first of all Les, in our first few hockey games, I've been concerned as far as our offensive output goes. And, certainly Fiala is a player that brings that dimension to our team. Very highly skilled player, sees the ice extremely well and can score. We traded a third round Bantam pick for him in 2009, but we really think that he'll come in and really add to our offence which is much-needed at this time!
L.L.: He's a fellow who has experience, he's been in the Top Prospect's Game. Obviously well thought of. And, being a Minnesota Wild draft pick, he's familiar already with one of your players in Colton Gillies.
L.M.: Well, he was a second round pick, 40th overall, a couple of years ago, and last year had a knee injury that limited his game action, but certainly I had an opportunity to watch him play in Everett against Spokane last (Wednesday) night and I was really impressed with his skill level and his work ethic and I think he will be a dimension that we were lacking on our hockey club.
L.L.: Now, as I mentioned, he's one of those "twp-spot" sort of players...an import and a 20-year-old. To that end, you have released Robert Brandis. It leaves you with four 20-year-olds. What do you do in that sitiuation?
L.M.: Well, we'll have until October 11th, so we'll make a decision when that time comes. Obviously, we'll have to do something. I haven't quite decided what direction to go yet, but certainly I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity to bring in this type of player.
L.L.: Are you still on the look for something else?
L.M.: Well, we're always on the look. I think that if you can improve without selling the farm, I think it's really important that you look at it. I feel that our hockey club is really close to having all kinds of success. An addition, here or there, I think will get us over the hill, but at the same time, we've stockpiled some draft picks in recent trades and we're just not going to give those away to bring someone in so we'll be patient and we'll move forward. But, I really think this will be a real good addition to our hockey club and it gives us two European players now that we feel will be very successful for the Blades.

Fiala should be in the Blades' line-up Monday when they host Regina at 2:05 p.m. at Credit Union Centre. HOT-93 has the broadcast starting at 1:30 with "The Kia of Saskatoon Cutting Edge Pre-Game Show."

howley
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I said on the grey board that I had heard it was a conditional pick. It appears it isn't. But still in the end this trade is basically Brett Ward for Ondrej Fiala. Not to shabby.

Trav
10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Its a 09 3rd round pick unless the Blades get a 3rd round pick this year from another team. The Blades get a 4th round pick this year from Moose Jaw which they dont have right now and if it stays like that then the pick from MJ will be a 3rd round pick in 09 so it's pretty much Ward for Fiala and I'd take that any day of the week.

Trav
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I'd say we got the best euro duo in the eastern conference, combined with central.

MVNWriter23
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
So I can follow both Fiala and Gillies just by talking to one team's fans! Nice!

Blades 4 Life!
10-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Great pickup by the Blades. Smart move getting more offence.

MVNWriter23
10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Both Gillies and Fiala got off to a good start. Keep me posted!