PDA

View Full Version : Hunchak gets a look at rivalry tonight

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=52b1dc08-83c6-40f2-825b-46efd25c8c91

Hunchak gets a look at rivalry tonight

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, October 05, 2007

Dave Hunchak wouldn't take the bait. The new head coach of the Moose Jaw Warriors politely declined a tongue-in-cheek invitation to disparage the arch-rival Regina Pats, who are playing host to his club tonight at the Brandt Centre.

In fact, Hunchak saw right through the attempt.

"You're trying to stir the pot, aren't you?" chuckled the former Swift Current Broncos' assistant. "There's nothing bad to say about Regina. Number one, you have to respect the fact they're in their 90th year and they're the oldest junior team in Canada. Having said that, I certainly haven't forgotten about the playoffs last year (when Regina eliminated Swift Current in the first round). From our team's standpoint, the rivalry will be alive and kicking (tonight)."

Hunchak guided the Kindersley Klippers to a pair of SJHL titles before joining the Broncos in 2004-05. Moose Jaw hired him this summer to replace interim bench boss Rene Lemire, who subsequently agreed to return as associate coach. Lemire was promoted last season after the firing of Steve Young.

Now it's Hunchak's turn to run the Warriors, who represent one-half of the WHL's most-infamous feud. The head coach will receive his official initiation tonight.

"When you're on the outside looking in, you like to see the outcome of the games and you understand the intensity and the emotion," he said. "Now, going into my first game of being a part of the rivalry, I expect no different. There's a lot of emotion between the two cities and there's a lot of passion within the games. I'm just really looking forward to being a part of it."

Hunchak may be new to the rivalry, but he has a history with the Pats.

Three years ago, he interviewed for the team's vacant assistant coaching job. He ended up accepting the same post with Swift Current while Regina hired Mike Blaisdell, who has since been replaced by Terry Perkins.

"I had an offer from Swift and made the decision to go there," said Hunchak, who was regarded as one of the brightest WHL coaching prospects."

Hunchak's connection to the Pats also relates to a mutual respect between himself and Curtis Hunt. The pair joined Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence around the same time, winning a silver medal together at the 2005 world under-18 championship -- Hunt as an assistant coach, Hunchak as the video coach.

Hunchak had the same title with Canada's gold medal-winning world junior team in 2006. Hunt was an assistant with the 2007 squad that won gold.

"The respect obviously goes both ways," offered Hunchak. "I hold Curtis in very high regard. Having said that, when the puck drops, we're adversaries. We have a lot of the same philosophies, a lot of the same ideas when it comes to the game, but I also think we have sort of the same foundation as far as what's expected from our players and our teams. We're both competitive coaches and we'll do what it takes to win."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007