PDA

View Full Version : Ofukany relieved injury is merely a sprained knee

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=400a0277-267a-4d36-919f-b379b77d091b

Ofukany relieved injury is merely a sprained knee

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, October 05, 2007

Troy Ofukany made sure he was sitting down when he received the prognosis on his ailing knee.

Team doctors re-examined the joint earlier this week after the swelling had subsided, at which time it was determined -- much to the relief of the Regina Pats -- that the original diagnosis was indeed correct. Ofukany suffered a sprain of the medial collateral ligament, which is expected to keep him out for 4-6 weeks.

Although his MCL appears to have sustained a minor tear, it will simply require rest, with the aid of a stabilizing brace. There was originally some fear that he had suffered a more severe tear, which may have required surgery or, at the very least, a long-term rehabilitation.

"It could have been a lot worse," Ofukany said Thursday while his teammates prepared for tonight's home-ice meeting with the Moose Jaw Warriors. "It's not a career-ending injury or anything. It's pretty minor. I'll be back in no time."

Ofukany was originally slated to undergo an MRI this week, but those plans were shelved.

"There was some concern that it might be significantly more than was initially diagnosed," confirmed GM Brent Parker. "But once it settled down and they were able to get a good look at it, they feel more confident that he'll heal in time. It's not a great situation, but it could have been worse."

Ofukany suffered the injury during Friday's 7-2 loss to the visiting Red Deer Rebels. He's already showing improvement, but Parker cautioned that Ofukany won't likely see any game action this month, targeting an early November return.

Ofukany is more optimistic.

"I'll probably be back in about three more weeks," he said. "It's just a minor injury. Everybody goes through it. I'm 20 and I thankfully haven't gone through a serious injury before. It's just a matter of time (before it happens)."

That said, Ofukany is relieved his problem isn't more severe.

"I've had a few buddies who've basically done the same thing but they pulled their ACL and they've torn it right off," said the veteran power forward. "One buddy has been about nine months and he's still not back. That's pretty severe and luckily mine is minor. In saying that, it's still pretty stressful (to have this happen) at the start of the season. I want to play."

Ofukany was off to a solid start, recording one goal and three assists in the team's first three games. He's confident the Pats will hold the fort in his absence, yet four weeks seems like an eternity for a 20-year-old who's in his final season of junior eligibility.

"The first few games I was producing on the scoreboard and getting some points," he said.

"Obviously it's frustrating because I wanted to build off that but the team comes first. I would rather get a win over me getting a lot of points. In saying that, we have a good team, we have an older team, so hopefully I can be a bonus in the lineup when I come back."

Ofukany's loss is still a significant blow to the Pats, who have their eyes set on the East Division pennant this season. Since elite teams only go as far as their veterans take them, the Pats are eager to get Ofukany back.

"I don't think you can, long term, have the type of success we want to have without having our older guys healthy and contributing," added Parker.

"Injuries are a part of (hockey). You never like to see anyone go down, certainly not your key guys, but it creates other opportunities for guys to step into a different role and contribute."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007