PDA

View Full Version : 'Fresh' start after diagnosis

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/10/05/4551728-sun.html

October 5, 2007

'Fresh' start after diagnosis
By JASON HILLS

Adrian Van De Mosselaer has been given a breath of fresh air, literally.

The Oil Kings newest defenceman will make his debut tonight.

Van De Mosselaer, 17, came to Edmonton in a midweek trade with the Medicine Hat Tigers for a sixth round pick in the 2008 bantam draft.

"I am excited. I am looking at this as a fresh start," said Van De Mosselaer.

"This year I was really looking to make the team (Medicine Hat), but they sat me out the first two games and then they sent me home.

"They said my conditioning wasn't good enough."

When Van De Mosselaer went back to his hometown of Kelowna, B.C., he went to see a physician and he took a pulmonary test and it was revealed he had asthma.

"I think it was a key reason why they thought I was out of shape.

"I kind of had a clue sometimes in practice when we'd do a simple drill and I would have trouble catching my breath," he said.

"It's resolved now. I have my puffer, but I just have to be careful in some cases."

After his diagnosis, Van De Mosselaer did some research and found out that certain foods can trigger asthma attacks. One of those is tomato pasta sauce.

"That used to be one of my pre-game meals," said Van De Mosselaer.

"I talked to my billet the other day and I asked about fettuccini and she said, 'I dunno, that might be a little heavy, so we might have to look into it more.' "

The six-foot-two 210-pound stay-at-home defenceman isn't coming to the Oil Kings completely a stranger.

Oil Kings GM Bob Green drafted Van De Mosselaer back in 2005 when he was head scout for the Medicine Hat Tigers.

"It's makes me feel comfortable coming here, knowing Bob," said Van De Mosselaer.

"He's familiar with the way I play and I know he's going to build a great team here in Edmonton."