View Full Version : Spring in his step

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/10/05/4551729-sun.html

October 5, 2007

Spring in his step
Robin Figren ready to jump back on the ice

By JASON HILLS, SUN MEDIA

The Edmonton Oil Kings will get some much needed energy back into their lineup.

Forwards Robin Figren and Brenden Dowd will both be in the lineup tonight when the Oil Kings (2-1-0-1) face the Prince Albert Raiders (2-3-1) at Rexall Place.

Dowd only missed one game, but for Figren this will be the first time the 19-year-old will be able to don a Oil Kings jersey.

"It was a very long summer for me and I have been waiting for this day a long time," said Figren, who has fully recovered from his offseason sports hernia surgery.

"My last game was against Medicine Hat last year in the playoffs - it's been too long."

Figren and Dowd will both be linemates against the Raiders. They'll join gritty forward Karey Pieper to form a solid scoring line for the Oil Kings.

"I think we all bring a little bit of everything," said Dowd.

"I started the year with Pieps (Pieper), but this will be our first chance to play with Figs (Figren). He's definitely the most skilled player I have ever played alongside."

It was a long week of practice for the Oil Kings who are coming off their worst performance of their young season in a 3-0 loss to the Lethbridge Hurricanes Sunday.

"We had some things to work on this week. There was some tension that we needed to get out," said Pleau.

"When you get beat 3-0 in your own building and you fail to show up, you have to make sure the guys are practising and playing with an edge. And we did that this week."

The Raiders come into Edmonton coming off a 2-1 victory over the Kootenay Ice Wednesday night. The Raiders are led by defenceman Mike Gauthier who has five points in six games. Up front the Raiders have Matt Robertson and Ryan DePage. Both led the Raiders in points last season.

"They have a real punishing defence and offensively they have a veteran guy like Robertson who scored over 30 goals for them last season," said Pleau.

The Oil Kings have had a light schedule in the early part of the WHL season.

They have only played in four games, while everyone else in their division has played between five and seven. This Thanksgiving weekend will be the first real long stretch of hockey games, with three games in four nights.

After tonight's game against Prince Albert, the Oil Kings will face Regina on Sunday and Swift Current on the holiday Monday.

"It's welcomed," said Pleau.

"I know I am sick of practicing and I think the guys are. We are ready to play some games. When I look in the paper today and I see us sitting in second last place in our division, it's not where we want to be."

QUICK HITS: Local product J.P. Szaszkiewicz will miss his second straight game, but will be ready to play Sunday against Regina.

After a strong showing against Lethbridge, Alex Archibald will get his second straight start against Prince Albert.