View Full Version : Broncos continue to win important road games

nivek_wahs
10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.swbooster.com/index.cfm?sid=68758&sc=36

Last updated at 9:20 AM on 05/10/07

Broncos continue to win important road games

STEVEN MAH
Southwest Booster Sports

The Swift Current Broncos are proving that a daunting road schedule to begin the season will not deter them from challenging to be one of the top teams in the Western Hockey League's Eastern Conference.

Facing eight straight games on the road to begin the season due to the current expansion to the Credit Union iplex, the Broncos have won their last two road games in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge.

On Tuesday night the Broncos were outshot 28-19 by the Hurricanes but scored twice on the first two shots of the third period to break a 1-1 tie and win 3-1.

Levi Nelson, Geordie Wudrick, and Dale Weise each scored in the win which begins a five game Broncos road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.

Travis Yonkman picked up his third win of the season with 27 saves on 28 shots.

The road win improved the Broncos record to 3-1 and tied them with the Brandon Wheat Kings for top spot in the East Division.

On Saturday night Broncos overcame a slow first period and capitalized on their goal-scoring chances to post a 7-2 victory over the Tigers.

Earlier Saturday morning the Broncos announced a three-team, four-player trade that sent forward Kyle Bortis and defenseman Paul Postma to the Calgary Hitmen for 19-year-old forward Keegan Dansereau and 18-year-old defenseman Brett Plouffe.

The Broncos then sent Plouffe to Tri-City for 20-year-old winger Erik Felde.

Only the spectacular first period play of Travis Yonkman in the Broncos' goal allowed the Broncos to escape the period without facing a deficit after being outshot 13-4.

In his first period in a Broncos uniform, Dansereau made his impact midway through the frame when he skated behind the Tigers net and caught an unsuspecting Tiger with his head down and sent him flying. The hit caused the puck to squirt out in front of the net where an opportunistic Matt Tassone collected it and fired it over the shoulder of Thomas Vosvrda.

The second period got off to a great start when Geordie Wudrick silenced the Medicine Hat crowd with his second goal in as many games only 17 seconds in with a perfect deflection of an Eric Doyle shot.

Only 2:37 later Wudrick scored his second goal of the game, this time on the powerplay, to stretch the lead to 3-0.

Levi Nelson added his first goal of the season minutes later when he converted a rebound to chase Vosvrada from the Tigers net.

Tyler Ennis gave Tigers fans a glimmer of hope when he scored his fifth goal of the season on the powerplay, beating a helpless Yonkman to close the deficit to 4-1.

Any hopes of a Tigers comeback were dashed late in the second period when Doyle finished one of the prettiest passing plays in recent Broncos memory to make it a 5-1 lead heading to the second intermission. On the powerplay, Zack Smith entered the Tigers zone along the left boards before being intercepted by a Tigers defender. Smith spun around and sent a backhand pass to Nelson who spun to avoid a defender and sent a perfect backhand pass to a wide open Doyle who faked left and the went right past a helpless Ryan Holfeld and lifted it into the open net.

The third period saw import forward Jan Dalecky score his first goal of his Western Hockey League career and then beautifully set up Nelson for his second of the game to make it a 7-2 final.

Travis Yonkman earned his second win of the season in goal stopping 28 of 30 shots.

Vosvrda took the loss with only seven saves on 11 shots in 25:22 of work. Holfeld stopped nine of 12 shots he faced in 34:38 or relief.

Doyle finished the game with a goal and three assists to give him six points in three games this season.

20-year-old Michael Wilson also collected three assists in the contest.

Wilson, who has landed one of the Broncos three overage spots, said last week's trade momentarily lingered in the players' minds.

"Everyone is thinking about who is getting traded and everyone's mind is all over the place, but I think that we did a good job of putting our heads together and we had a good win today."

Nelson, who scored his first two goals of the season, admitted that the first period was a little shaky.

"Yeah there were some bus legs in the first period and we got the jitterbugs out. Coming into this building we haven't won in a long time here and we knew what we had to do. I think that it was a gut check after the first period and I think that we improved each period."

Head Coach Dean Chynoweth agreed.

"I thought that we were sloppy in our play. Our guys needed to see this team. We did not see them in the pre-season and I warned them that they are very similar to the past. They can really skate, their transition game is very good and if you don't make high percentage plays and start floating pucks in the middle you are going to have a tough time."

Nelson was excited about his new linemates in Dansereau and Smith.

"(Dansereau) is a real good player. It was his first game and he has not been out on the ice in a while and I think that he played real well. He was a key player on the first goal. He went in and made that body check and that goal was all because of him. There is lots more to see from him this year. He is a real good player."

Chynoweth commented that his team was really excited about the trades and pointed out a few strong individual performers.

"It was nice. I thought that there was some real good things from some certain guys. I thought that Dansereau had an impact on four of the goals and did not get a point out of it. He definitely made some things happen for a guy that has not skated in a couple of weeks. I thought that Jan Dalecky had a good game. I thought that Doyle was strong and Wilson was good again."

Last night the Broncos were in Calgary to face the Hitmen in their fifth of eight road games to start the season. Check swbooster.com for full results.

On Friday the Broncos will be in Kamloops to face the Blazers. Then on Saturday the Broncos will visit the Prince George Cougars.

On Thanksgiving Day the Broncos will conclude their long road schedule to begin their season with a meeting with the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings.

On Oct. 12th the Broncos will play their anxiously anticipated first home game in the newly renovated and renamed Credit Union iplex.

Broncos Bits: former Bronco Jason Jaffary was assigned to the Manitoba Moose by the Vancouver Canucks. Netminder Todd Ford was assigned by the Maple Leafs to the Toronto Marlies. Lawrence Nycholat was assigned to Binghamton of the AHL by the Ottawa Senators. Defenseman Aaron Rome was assigned to the Portland Pirates by the Anaheim Ducks. The Oil Kings assigned former Broncos defenseman Karl Benke to the Grande Prairie Storm of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

www.swbooster.com