PDA

View Full Version : Best WHL Player you've ever seen?

Pirate005
03-16-2005, 12:53 PM
First of all, How long have you been following the league and who is the best player you've ever seen in the league for any team? Also who is the best player ever on the team you follow you've seen?

Beat player ever in the WHL I've seen? Theo Fleury, he was also the most exciting. He could rack up the goals if he wanted to and was so pesky and gritty for 5'5 that he was a delight to follow for me. In my opinion he is the best player I've seen in the league. Followed by Mike Modano of the Raiders.

Best player on my favorite team or team I follow? Frank Banham! WOW was that ever exciting back in 95 when he scored those 80+ goals playing with Mark Deyell. I think he had the best slap shot/snap shot I've seen from a player in this league but couldn't play defense so didn't make the next leval for more than a hand full of games. What a line that was with Deyell/Banham/Wilm.

Flathead
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
He only got to play 2 seasons because he was so damn good! The best player I've ever seen in the dub is easily Joe Sakic. Then a very close second is Fleury.

Nielson11
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I started watching the dub in 1998 and there was no one better then Pavel Brendl, he was simply amazing to me for those two seasons.

It's a shame it hasn't translated to the NHL yet....I still have patience with him.

Nielson11

In the crowd
03-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I started watching the dub around 93-94, but only one team (Kamloops Blazers). But really started watching in 98 when the Ice came to Cranbrook. The guys that stood out before the Ice came were Darcy Tucker and Jarome Iginla. But I would have to say either Pavel Brendl or Mike Comrie (may be a little biased, but he dominated like i've never seen anyone before, though it only was for about 30 games). Honerable mention would have to go to Scott Gomez, Brad Stuart and Dion Phanuef.

Jovorock
03-20-2005, 08:28 AM
I started watching the dub in 1998 and there was no one better then Pavel Brendl, he was simply amazing to me for those two seasons.

It's a shame it hasn't translated to the NHL yet....I still have patience with him.

Nielson11
The Atlanta Thrashers put on a secret power skating school in Kelowna that summer before Brendl and Patrick Stephan were drafted into the NHL. They were both clients of Rich Winters, so they invited 8-10 total players to show case their skills.

Why has Brendl and Stephan not done anything at the NHL level? Both can't skate, watching the two at this camp it was easy to they were overrated. So why did these two went one and two?

The two can skate at the WHL level. but not at the professional level.

Scout
03-20-2005, 10:05 AM
The best player i've seen play in the Dub was Joe Sakic followed closely by Theo. Joe played in Swift and Theo 90 miles east in Moose Jaw. It was great to see those two in the league at the same time and go head to head a couple of years.

Oh and i've been a season ticket holder of the Bronco's since 86. Even billetted for a while.

Scout

Knuckles Muldoon
03-20-2005, 11:11 AM
I reaquainted myself again with the dub in 1990. Since then Iginla and S. Neidermayer stand out as having been especially great. But since I saw mostly Seattle games, I'd have to say Patrick Marleau was as good as any. Although he seemed to play on auto-pilot some nights and showed a lack of passion at times, when he stepped it up, he could flat out dominate at will. His incredible leg strength would allow him to pull away from anyone at any time. Great hands, great shot, great vision. A terrific physical package. He scored 125 points as a 17 yo.

Joe Hallenback
03-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Shane Doan and Jerome Iginla were simply dominating when they won the Mem Cup. Anyone who remembers the finals that year will remember 2 men dominating boys. It wasnt even close

kelownakarl
03-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Troy Bodie.

:groovy:

smackitsakic
03-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I've been attending Bronco games for probably close to 15 years now, however it has only been in the last 5-7 years that i have paid more attention to players and their skills moreso than the fact that they were just hockey players playing the sport i loved. What can i say, i was young!
A lot of the amazing players seem to come out of the West, from teams i rarely get to see. A few stick out though. Daymond Langkow i remember was a force when he came to Swift. I remember he had a penalty shot the one night and our tender got the better of him and it almost shocked people out of their seats that he didn't score. I also remember Hnat Dominichelli as a big threat, but perhaps that was moreso the fact that his last name was cool b/c it took up most of his jersey :laugh:
Brad Stuart, Sergei Varlamov, Barret Jackman, and Dan Blackburn are others that i can recall the most who were incredibly gifted in the dub.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Troy Bodie.

:groovy:

Karl, you're banned. Clean out your locker and leave the premises. :D