PDA

View Full Version : Come Back Kids

Scout
10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Edmonton Journal Family Packs

POWER PLAY PROWESS COMES UP BIG IN THE CLUTCH

Edmonton, AB - Start calling them the comeback kids. The Edmonton Oil Kings snapped their 2 game losing streak with a 5 - 4 come from behind win over the visiting Prince Albert Raiders. Karey Pieper's late powerplay goal lifted the home team to their third win of the year in a close game from start to finish.

Both teams were actually very cautious off the start combining for only 10 shots in the opening period. The visitors were on the board first. Prince Albert native Ryan McDonald pounced on a juicy rebound and swept the puck into a yawning cage. Bryce Lamb and Matt Robertson picked up the assists at 5:57 mark of the period.

The Oil Kings evened things up before the end of the frame on a similar goal. Edmonton rookie Shayne Niegum took the initial shot on Raiders goalie Dustin Butler. Brett Breitkreuz came driving in to sweep in his team leading third goal of the year. The teams headed into the dressing rooms tied 1 - 1.

Intensity picked up in the second period with both teams trading quality chances. Oil Kings goalie Alex Archibald and Butler were equal to the task matching each other with 11 saves apiece.

The flood gates opened eventually opened 63 seconds in the third period. McDonald's big night continued when he set up Bryce Lamb for his first goal of the year. Ryan Button added the second assist and Prince Albert had their one goal lead back. A coaching adjustment from Oil Kings bench boss Steve Pleau paid dividends right away too. He decided to bump Brandon Lockerby up to the line with Brent Raedeke and Craig McCallum. Raedeke set up Lockerby for the tying goal at the 3:20 mark.

Talk about an adrenalin rush for new comer Adrian Van de Mosselaer. The 17 year old defenceman who was just acquired in a trade this week made his Edmonton Oil King and Western Hockey League regular season debut count with his first WHL goal! Another rookie Shayne Neigum was able to the poke the puck to Van de Mosselaer who was joining the rush. He stepped over the blue line and blasted a howitzer past Butler for the go ahead goal.

"I just wanted to make sure I didn't fan on it." laughed Van de Mosselaer. "I wasn't told to join the rush more in the third period, it just worked out that way. I'm just glad I could help out my new team with some offence tonight."

"We don't expect much offence out of Adrian this season, that's not what he's here for." said Edmonton coach Steve Pleau. "I'm happy right now if that's his only goal this season. I give

Midway through the third period, Edmonton fans welcomed another player making his Oil Kings debut. Robin Figren playing his first game since sports hernia surgery this off-season came flying down the right wing. A slight fake wind up got the goalie to bite and the Swedish native held on an extra step and sent the puck top shelf into a wide open net. His first of the year from Brenden Dowd and Karey Pieper gave the home team a 2 goal cushion.

The Raiders wouldn't go down without a fight. 2 minutes later Czech native Tomas Voracek notched his first of the year from Nathan Deck and Devon LeBlanc to make it a 1 goal game.

Then 47 seconds later, Lamb picked up his second of the night from McDonald and Robertson to tie the game at 4 and set up the dramatics.

Cue the number one powerplay in the Western Hockey League. Robin Figren set up the Oil Kings in the offensive zone near the hash marks on the left side. He chipped it down to Brenden Dowd who had a head of steam heading towards the back of the goal. He spotted a wide open Karey Pieper in the slot who's one-timer found the back of the net in the hurray. Pieper's second of the year turned out to be the game winner.

Edmonton's record improves to 3 - 1 - 0 - 1. The Raiders drop to 2 - 4 - 1 - 0. Next up for the Oil Kings on this busy Thanksgiving weekend will be the Regina Pats make their first trip to Rexall Place. Game time is at 2 P.M.