View Full Version : Harty named Tips Captain

Tipped Off
10-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Posted : : 10/08/2007

Harty becomes the sixth captain in franchise history
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett Silvertips Image

Captain Jonathan Harty
Everett, WA - The Everett Silvertips announced today that defenseman Jonathan Harty will be the franchise's sixth team captain, continuing on the strong leadership of former captains Bryan Nathe (2003-04), Mitch Love (2004-05), Torrie Wheat (2005-06), Cody Thoring (2007-08) and Jason Fransoo (2007-08).

"Jonathan has shown unbelievable leadership both on and off the ice. He is the first 19-year old player to be named team captain in the history of the organization and think that shows a lot about what he brings to our locker room" said Coach John Becanic.

Known for his steady hustle and fierce loyalty to his teammates, Harty has also been a productive member of the team statistically in his four seasons with the club. Following last weekend's action, Harty has now played in 187 WHL games, all with Everett. He has tallied twelve goals and 36 assists for 48 points while racking up 285 penalty minutes and recording a +11 rating.

"I'm extremely honored right now. I don't really know what to say," Harty said. "I have seen so many great captains during my three years here and having the opportunity to follow in their footsteps makes it even more special. I want to prove myself as much as they did. It's a nice feather in my cap but I won't change the way that I play or who I am. Hopefully, I can lead the team in a way a leader should."

Harty's presence in the community has also garnered a well-earned respect with his teammates and coaches. The recipient of the 2006-07 Silvertips Community Relations Player of the Year, Jonathan can often be found on non-game days reading to children at various schools and hospitals around the North Sound region. No stranger to the classroom himself, Harty maintained a 3.75 GPA in his senior year at Everett High School and was awarded the 2005-06 Silvertips Scholastic Award. In the 2006-07, while serving the team as an alternate captain, Harty helped steer the Silvertips to a 54-15-1-2 record, reaching a league-high 111 points.

Also Zach Hamill, Dane Crowley, and Brennan Sonne were named Alternate Captains for 2007-08.

The regular season continues on Friday, October 12th at Comcast Arena at Everett Events Center as the Silvertips host the Kamloops Blazers in a Western Hockey League contest beginning at 7:35 pm and then on Saturday as the Silvertips host the Portland Winter Hawks at 7:05.

For ticket information, including season seats and ticket packages, please call the Silvertips' front office at (425) 252-5100. As always, radio coverage of Silvertips hockey will be provided by ESPN Radio KRKO 1380, while highlights of audio broadcast, video packages and relevant multimedia will be provided by the Western Hockey League's website, www.whl.ca.