PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Acquires European from the Blades

nivek_wahs
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
http://whl.ca/news/?id=7648

Brandon Acquires European from the Blades
Created: Oct 9, 2007

Brandon, Manitoba -- The Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings have announced the acquisition of 19-year old right-winger Robert Brandis from the Saskatoon Blades.
A 6'1” 195 lb Slovakian native, Brandis was the Blades' second selection (66th overall) in July's Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

Brandis became expendable in Saskatoon this weekend when the Blades obtained 20-year old Andrej Fiala from the Everett Silvertips. Western Hockey League teams are permitted to carry two European players.

Brandis joins Daniel Bartek of the Czech Republic as Brandon's Import players. Like Brandis, Bartek was picked up from Tri-City in September, 2006 when the Americans found themselves with one too many imports. Since arriving in Brandon, the 19-year old Bartek has become a solid two-way player. In six games this season, Bartek has a goal and 7 points.

As for Brandis, who is expected to arrive in Brandon Tuesday night andpractice with his new club on Wednesday, he had played in four games with the Blades this year, collecting nine minutes in penalties.

As a member of HK Spartak / Trencin during the 2006-07 campaign, Brandis had 17 goals, 30 points and 66 minutes in penalties. In seven playoff games for Trencin, he scored twice and set up two others.

In other Wheat Kings news today, 20-year old Tyler Dittmer has been chosen the Western Hockey League's Player of the Week. A former member of the 2004 National Midget Champion AAA Wheat Kings, Dittmer scored five goals and 7 points this past weekend as Brandon won back to back games on the road to improve its record to 5-1-0 on the season.

Dittmer, Brandis and the Wheat Kings return to action this weekend when they play host to Prince George and Kootenay on Friday and Saturday nights at Westman Place. Tickets to both games are on sale now at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca

dagley
10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know what to think of this deal. Since hes an import, and has only played 4 games in his WHL career...what can we expect of him? I'm wondering if Kelly acquired him to fill a spot upfront cause of a pending trade to fill in the 3rd/4th line to package a deal with Yeo/Louis or if he's a role player. This is weird, wonder if he did it just for the fact of adding another European. Perhaps Fehr, with his concussion will be out longer than expected.

Interesting move.

booboo
10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I can't quite figure out this move. There is no sense in having a European player just because you are allowed two.If he could not make Saskatoon how do we figure he can help us other than this is a precursor to some other deal or itis just a warm body filling a roster spot. You may also be right in that Fehr may be hurt worse than we know. Strange move?????

Triton
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
What did we give up for Brandis?

dagley
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
At least somebody agrees with me. I don't understand this move at all unless Fehr's concussion is more serious than expected. I don't know if they did this just for the hell of having a European spot available. And thinking towards next year I cannot see him being in future plans taking a 20 year old spot and a European spot...awkward, maybe he'll end up contributing. Time will only tell.
applause

dagley
10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
What did we give up for Brandis?

Doesn't say, probably like a 6th round pick.

Triton
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
At least somebody agrees with me. I don't understand this move at all unless Fehr's concussion is more serious than expected. I don't know if they did this just for the hell of having a European spot available. And thinking towards next year I cannot see him being in future plans taking a 20 year old spot and a European spot...awkward, maybe he'll end up contributing. Time will only tell.
applause

Could be a guy not given the opportunity in Saskatoon and as we all know Kelly McCrimmon seems to be able to take nobody's and turn them into stars. Maybe Brandis puts up some numbers this year with actual playing time. All about the confidence.

booboo
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
If Brandis is given a lot of ice time to see if he can contribute it may be at the expense of one of their other roster players. He will not be back next year for sure as he is 19 this year.Kelly has gotten a lot out of other people's cast offs before like Steven Later for example so maybe this is another attempt.

Triton
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Anyone fond of what Cowan brings? I think we need to also let Smith go.

dagley
10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Smith needs to be tossed, and surely will be sent back down sooner or later. Perhaps Brandis can bring some goal scoring ability and you're right about Kelly getting players that are nobody's and making them somebody's.

dagley
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM

He's a good 4th line grinder, he fits in good there instead of Hale that's slow on his feet.

booboo
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I sure don't like what I am hearing from those who have seen Brandis play, but I guess we should make up our own mind.This trade just does not make sense to me because I can't see what he brings to the team. If he is a bad skater I would not let Hale go because he is only 17 years old and keep a 19 year euro. For that matter I would keep Cowan ahead od Brandis.

Brandonite
10-09-2007, 06:28 PM

I personally havent been to fond of Del Cowan. Being an 18 year old rookie, you have to bring something special every night and show some flashes but Cowan really hasn't shown that at all. He played Jr.A last year but didn't put up big numbers there neither. I don't think Brandon expects him to score but he has looked out of place thats for sure. Jordan Hale also looked a little lost in his first game but again "1st game". He is a big boy and hopefully will use that size to his advantage. Smith is another guy that needs to probably go back to Jr.A which is the best thing right now for Matt Smith. Being 18 years old, your going to want to play in all situations and logs some ice time. Something he is not going to do in Brandon so he should just go back to JrA which in time i think will happen...

Triton
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Found out Brandis was released outright, therefore, Saskatoon didn't receive anything from us. I'm thinking whats the worst that can happen, we give him a few games and if Kelly doesn't like what he see's, we drop his ass. I have a feeling a trade may be involved with the Tigers again. They need another 20, and quite possibly we throw Hallick in the deal so he can play infront of his hometown crowd and maybe we get something from the deal who can help us out now. We will probably need to include something else, but maybe I'm wrong and nobody bites at either Yeo or Louis.