PDA

View Full Version : Changes Bring Success

Scout
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Changes Bring Initial Success for the Blades
Posted by Les Lazaruk on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 07:55:00 AM.

After two periods Monday, the question was still being asked, "So, who is going to score the goals for the Saskatoon Blades?" By the end of the game, the Blades won 7-3 over the visiting Regina Pats in front of 3,593 fans at Credit Union Centre.

After seven days between games, the Bridge City Bunch had trouble solving Linden Rowat in the Pats' net in the first two periods and trailed 3-2. But, the Blades responded for five unanswered goals in the third period to up their record to 2-4-1-0 and end a modest three-game winless streak while ending Regina's three-game winning streak. It was the first time in four games that the 5-3-0-0 Pats lost a game after leading through 40 minutes.

Changing their 20-year-old content paid instant dividends for the Blades. Ondrej Fiala scored twice and added two assists...playing on a line with Chris Durand and Colton Gillies. That trio accounted for five goals and 11 points...Gillies with two goals and three assists while Durand had a goal and a helper. Fiala was acquired last week from Everett for a third round Bantam draft pick in 2009. Also, defenceman John Flatters brought stability and toughness to the Saskatoon blue-line, chipping in with an assist in his Blades' debut. He was picked up from Prince Albert Sunday for 18-year-old left winger Dustin Cameron.

Also scoring for the Blades were Gaelan Patterson and 16-year-old rookie Curtis Hamilton. The latter scored just seven seconds after Fiala had given the Blades a 5-3 lead. It was the first WHL goal for Hamilton, the son of former Blades' forward from the 70s and now president and G.M. of the Kelowna Rockets, Bruce Hamilton.

The Blades are idle until a Friday home game with Red Deer. The question now is, can they put forth more of those efforts for 60 minutes, on a consistent basis, that they got in the third period Monday? If they can, they climb back into playoff contention. If not, well I guess we'll see.

I, for one, like the moves. While I would've liked to see Saskatoon kids like Curtis Patterson, Michael Kaye and Dustin Cameron succeed with their home teams...I wish them all the best wherever their hockey careers now take them!