PDA

View Full Version : Oil Kings Anticipate Old Time Hockey

Scout
10-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Fri, October 12, 2007

Oil Kings anticipating some old-time hockey
By DEREK VAN DIEST, SUN MEDIA

The Edmonton Oil Kings represent the new phase of the Western Hockey League.

They're a bright lights, big city, play-out-of-an-NHL-rink club.

This weekend however, the newest entry in the Western Hockey League goes back to the roots of the major junior circuit, hitting the road for a pair of encounters against the Swift Current Broncos and Medicine Hat Tigers.

"Swift Current is a tough place to play for sure," said Oil Kings goaltender Alex Archibald.

"And Medicine Hat has to be one of the toughest buildings in the league to win in. They have that reputation. The fans are good and I know we're in for a good game."

Tonight the Oil Kings visit the Broncos for the team's home opener. The old Centennial Civic Centre in Swift Current, Sask., now known as the Credit Union Iplex, underwent renovations this year forcing the team to open the season with eight consecutive road games.

The two teams met Monday in Edmonton with the Oil Kings pulling out a 3-2 shootout victory.

"It's going to be a challenge," said Oil Kings head coach Steve Pleau. "I think it's fun when you play teams back to back. It kind of raises the interest from the coach's perspective because you can make adjustments.

"I was really impressed with their power play and their first couple of lines. Obviously on the road it's going to be a challenge because we don't have last change."

In their first meeting the Oil Kings took a 2-0 lead on the Broncos before Swift Current came back to tie the game, sending it to overtime.

The contest was the third in four days for the Oil Kings who were trounced 6-2 the previous day 6-2 by Regina.

"I think the game in Swift Current will be a little more physical just based on the fact they have a big team, they may try to intimidate us," said Oil Kings captain Bretton Stamler. "It's a small community, the rink isn't very big and it'll be very loud.

"I think we'll be fine, but I do think the game will be more physical based on the atmosphere created in Swift Current."

Following their game in Swift Current, the Oil Kings will return to Medicine Hat - where they stayed last night - to face the Tigers tomorrow.

The arena in Medicine Hat has become legendary in the past few years and the Tigers are the defending WHL champions. The barn holds just over 4,000 fans and is considered to be one of the loudest in the league.

"I've got plenty people around me that know it quite well," said Oil Kings head coach Steve Pleau.

"I've been fairly warned that it's a great atmosphere to play in but a tough one and one that you have to keep your composure in and stay disciplined."

This season the Tigers are once again having a strong season getting off to a 5-2-0-1 start. The Oil Kings meanwhile sit two points back of the Tigers at 4-2-0-1.

"Traditionally Medicine Hat, their teams have been small and quick," Stamler said. "It's obviously always sold out there, 4,006, every time. I don't where they get those six people from, but there's a lot of excitement in that city."