PDA

View Full Version : Silvertips playing better hockey after horrible start

nivek_wahs
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20071012/SPORTS/710120093/1003/SPORTS08

Published: Friday, October 12, 2007

Silvertips playing better hockey after horrible start

Can reversal of fortune continue against Kamloops?

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- The nightmare is over. Or is it?

After a disastrous first two weeks of the season, the Everett Silvertips got themselves untracked, taking two of their three games last week to finally get into the win column.

But as Everett heads into tonight's game against the Kamloops Blazers, the question remains: Have the Tips turned the corner?

"I don't know if we're turning any corners," Everett coach John Becanic said. "But we're playing better hockey every game."

Everett began the season in ugly fashion. The Tips lost their first four games, surrendering 20 goals in the process. Those games were riddled with defensive breakdowns, bad penalties and subpar goaltending.

But last week the Tips managed to get some of those things sorted out. They posted a 4-0 shutout at home against a high-flying Spokane team on Oct. 3 and got a dramatic come-from-behind 5-3 victory in Portland last Saturday.

Those wins aren't an indication that everything is now right in Silvertip land. Spokane hasn't won since losing to Everett, and Portland's only victory of the season is against the Tips. Even in victory, Everett had some of the same problems, and the Tips were 15 minutes away from being swept in its home-and-home weekend against the lowly Winter Hawks.

But the Tips believe they've got things headed back in the right direction.

"I think (we're turning the corner)," newly selected captain Jonathan Harty said. "I think we started out a little rough, but I think we're coming together now. With the new coaching and new philosophies, being on the same page is the biggest thing, and I think we're putting it together."

Slowly but surely Everett has improved its play. The Tips aren't giving up the same number of odd-man rushes as they surrendered during the first two weeks of the season. Goaltender Leland Irving, who appeared to be suffering a hangover from his preseason travels with Team Canada and the NHL's Calgary Flames, has gradually improved. Neither the defense nor Irving has yet played up to full capability, but they're getting closer.

The slow start could be attributable to the regime change. It's taken a while for the Tips to adjust to the system changes Becanic installed as the new head coach. It's also taken time getting used to the kinder, gentler approach to coaching Becanic brings, compared to predecessor Kevin Constantine.

"(Constantine) was good at getting you on your edge and making you play your best," Irving said. "Under Coach B you've really got to demand the best out of yourself. I think it's a better environment for everyone, but it takes a little bit for the young guys to understand what's going on here."

It's possible Saturday's victory in Portland provided the turning point. Everett trailed 3-1 going into the third period and began the period by taking three quick penalties. But the Tips managed to survive those penalties and scored four goals in the final 14 minutes to pull off a confidence-building win.

"I think that was huge for our guys because we didn't change our gameplan," Becanic said. "When you don't change your gameplan and it eventually pays off in a victory, they start to have more confidence in what we're trying to do."

Does that mean the Tips have figured it out? Tonight's game against Kamloops will provide evidence of whether Everett has truly turned the corner, or if that turn just caused the Tips to bang themselves into another wall.

Slap shots: Thursday's overager cutdown date came and went with the Tips standing pat, as expected. Everett still has four overagers -- forwards Dan Gendur and Brennan Sonne, defenseman Dane Crowley and goaltender David Reekie -- one more than the limit. However, Reekie is on the 60-day injured list because of mononucleosis, and therefore is exempt from the limit until he's ready to return. ... Everett right wing Matt Ius, who suffered a concussion last Saturday, has fully recovered and is expected to play tonight. Center Zack Dailey, also recovering from a concussion, is almost ready to return but is not expected in the lineup tonight.

Nick Patterson's Silvertips blog: http://www.heraldnet.com/silvertipsblog

hockeymom091
10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know what happened to 16 year old Jeff Regier. I hear he's been sent home. Can anyone confirm this?

Highlander_Yank
10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Jeff Regier has been assigned. No word yet as to where he's headed for the rest of this season, but I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see him next season, if not at the end of this season and/or in the playoffs.

The only announcement has been in Nick Patterson's blog (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20071013/BLOG12/71013002). No news on the Tips website yet.

Redwic
10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Regier was deleted from the Silvertips' roster, on both the Silvertips' and WHL Web sites. At last check, no word yet as to his where he is being reassigned.