PDA

View Full Version : Rockets vs Giants Mar 18&19th

Jovorock
03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Well it comes down to the last two games for the WHL title, what do you expect?

Go CHIEFS Go

RocketMan
03-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Well it comes down to the last two games for the WHL title, what do you expect?Hopefully, I expect the Rockets to sweep. Realistically, I expect 2 points. My crystal ball foresees a tie between the mice and rockets - 104 points each. Unfortunately, the morons in the league office chose to settle it using a bogus tie-breaker such as total wins instead of head-to-head match-ups. Here's hoping it doesn't come down to that.
Go CHIEFS Go :clap:

rinkrat
03-17-2005, 08:23 PM
good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?

RocketMan
03-17-2005, 08:34 PM
good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?First, facts shouldn't have to be made more believable. The tie-breaker can not be defended. I can't help it if you don't like that. Second, I thought it was a bogus tie-breaker as soon as I heard it. (BTW, what does the NHL or NFL use?).

C.F
03-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I have a slight feeling that if the Rockets played exciting hockey, their fans wouldn't be so opposed to the most wins tie-breaker method! I don't see the problem with it, wins are better than ties, afterall.

Teaps
03-17-2005, 09:31 PM
If we win and tie, that gives us 105 pts...1 more point than Kootenay's maximum amount achieveable this year

Beaner
03-17-2005, 09:58 PM
First, facts shouldn't have to be made more believable. The tie-breaker can not be defended. I can't help it if you don't like that. Second, I thought it was a bogus tie-breaker as soon as I heard it. (BTW, what does the NHL or NFL use?).

NHL system is as follows;

1. Total Wins
2. Points obtained in games against tied teams - If they play an uneven amount of games then the last game they played does not count.
3. Goal differential for entire season.

I can't remember if they play a tiebreaker game for the last playoff spot or not. I think they do but its been a while since that has happened and I cant remember.

The NFL uses some complex formula based on Strength of schedule that I dont really understand nor do I ever want to. ;)

I do not believe they have a tiebreaker game, but then again I could be wrong - thats for the last playoff spot.

RocketMan
03-17-2005, 11:40 PM
NHL system is as follows;

1. Total Wins
2. Points obtained in games against tied teams - If they play an uneven amount of games then the last game they played does not count.
3. Goal differential for entire season.

I can't remember if they play a tiebreaker game for the last playoff spot or not. I think they do but its been a while since that has happened and I cant remember.The NHL uses this system b/c teams within the same division play each other more often and also play nearly identical schedules. There are no teams or divisions in the NHL analogous to the situation in the WHL's BC division where 4 of the teams play similar schedules while the fifth team (Kootenay) plays one completely unlike any other team in the league. Kootenay hardly played Vancouver and they are in the same division. That never happens in the NHL. The ICE played far more games against another conference, than did any other Western team. In the NHL, the potential problem with inequities in schedule difficulty such as this can not arise.
The NFL uses some complex formula based on Strength of schedule that I dont really understand nor do I ever want to. ;)
NFL teams play only 16 games, but there are 32 teams. They can't play a balanced schedule and maintain some kind of inter-division, inter-conference interest and rivalry. As result, their tie-breaking procedures are a little more complicated, but only because they are striving to make them fair. In every case of the procedure, head to head match-ups is the first tie-breaker and always comes before total wins. Head-to-head match-ups also have priority in Arena football, the NBA, and in both major leagues of baseball.

There really is no argument for a case where head-to-head match-ups should not be the first tie-breaker as it is in every other major league team sport on the continent. The NHL uses a different system, but there the teams in each division play very similar schedules. Of course, that's certainly not the case in the WHL's BC division.

Beaner
03-18-2005, 01:16 AM
I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. Just answering your question. Football I dont really follow, I just knew they had this weird strength of schedule system, that I have never bothered to look at.

The Ice are in a weird situation, that is for sure. The shame of it all is, I only got to see the Ice play twice this year in Vancouver, and yet, we will most likely face them in the first round. We haven't played them since November :(

I have said it before and I will say it again, if the Ice are going to be in the BC Division, then at the least, they should be playing games against their Division Foes at the end of the year, not the beginning. This will at least let the teams in the division fight it out amongst themselves for who finishes first or last.

RocketMan
03-18-2005, 08:42 AM
I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. Just answering your question.Thanks, I think we both cleared it up
Football I dont really follow, I just knew they had this weird strength of schedule system, that I have never bothered to look at.It may look weird from a hockey perspective, but I think the NFL system, unlike the WHL, strives for fairness. In any regard, they like every other team sport except the NHL uses head-to-head match ups as the first priority in settling ties.
The Ice are in a weird situation, that is for sure. The shame of it all is, I only got to see the Ice play twice this year in Vancouver, and yet, we will most likely face them in the first round. We haven't played them since November :(Yes and the Giants only played them a total of 3 times this season. As far as facing them, with the bogus tie-breaker situation, that possibility is quite uncertain.
I have said it before and I will say it again, if the Ice are going to be in the BC Division, then at the least, they should be playing games against their Division Foes at the end of the year, not the beginning. This will at least let the teams in the division fight it out amongst themselves for who finishes first or last.Agreed. The match-ups should occur after the trade deadline, preferrably at the end of the season. Some teams, Kamloops for one, are better now than they were before. But, the league blew it once again and hasn't thought this problem through very well.

Jovorock
03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?
Someone voices their opinion and you say it's "whining", thanks for your great input to this board.

Beaner
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
In any regard, they like every other team sport except the NHL uses head-to-head match ups as the first priority in settling ties.

I just though of this now, but the main reason I believe hockey uses this sytem is the tie Situation.

In NFL, they do have ties but it is a very rare occurence. You may get 1-2 ties for the entire season throughout the entire league, thus any teams that are tied more than likely already have the same amount of wins, making that tiebreaking solution pointless (total Wins). MLB and the NBA dont have ties period, so its really only hockey where you can have teams get a lot of points for ties/OTL.

I guess the Head to Head solution sounds good, but I am sure someone somewhere will be able to poke a bunch of holes in that arguement as well.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter, Kelowna just has to win its last 2 games period to finish first. They control their own destiny.

GO GIANTS. :laugh:

Jovorock
03-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I like the head to head better then wins as a second tie breaker. But the rules are set and its the same for everyone. Live by the sword and die by it also.

Go Rockets kick the Giants Ass.

RocketMan
03-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I just though of this now, but the main reason I believe hockey uses this sytem is the tie Situation.Yes, good point. But, again I point out that the NHL maintains similar schedules among teams within a division. In that case, the use of total wins can be supported, I still don't think it's as good though
I guess the Head to Head solution sounds good, but I am sure someone somewhere will be able to poke a bunch of holes in that arguement as well.I am still waiting for someone to do that. I think most realize there just isn't one when the two teams play such different schedules (like the NFL situation). This year it may cost the Rockets, another year it will be some other team, maybe even Vancouver ;). Someday it may work in reverse and cost Kootenay, though I think the West will be even more dominate next year.
Kelowna just has to win its last 2 games period to finish first. They control their own destiny.Agreed, they'll have to do it the hard way rather than have it gift-wrapped. If the Rockets do it, at least they can say they earned it.

RocketMan
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Live by the sword and die by it also.

Go Rockets kick the Giants Ass.Exactly! :clap:

Beaner
03-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Exactly!

No please dont. Our asses are sore enough from all the times you've kicked it already this year. :laugh:

Jovorock
03-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Sorry Beaner hopefully two more ass kickings then it's Kootenays turn. :clap:

RocketMan
03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Sorry Beaner hopefully two more ass kickings then it's Kootenays turn. :clap:Perhaps, but I think a Van/Ice matchup has upset written all over it. The big-city and extra attention maybe something the Ice are not familar with having hardly ever gone there. The Giants are under-achievers and they have a superstar who can win games by doing something magical. That's always a dangerous opponent come play-off time (e.g., 94 Canucks).

kelownakarl
03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
enough talk....

LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEY!

RocketMan
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
enough talk....

LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEY!And we did. A 3-2 win to guarantee no worse than a tie for top spot overall. :thumb: Now all we need is a tie.

I just got back from the game, after a few barley sandwichs of course. The rink was packed even though the game was on TV. Overall I saw it as follows: Rockets outplayed them in the first, slight edge to the giants in the second. Big edge to the giants in the third. Apart from a soft 1st goal, Yeomans was solid. There were some brutal giveaways on both sides especially by one of the giants to Comeau in the third and by Couteur in the first. The Giants put up a hellva fight. Maybe they do want to face Kelowna in the first round. No one can say they threw it to the Rockets to get the Ice instead. Perhaps they dread the travel all the way to Cranbrook. In any event, they played well and could've won the game. I expect them to come out hard tomorrow as well -- those bastards :D

Jovorock
03-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Yes it was a solid win but the boys will have to put up a better effort tonite in front of the Giant fans. I sure wish this game was the one that is televised and not the Friday night game.

Couture give away in the second was brutal, can't afford that stuff in the playoffs. Well tonite it all comes down to one game takes all, kick the Giants ass one more time boys.

Beaner
03-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Another good close game against Kelowna. Wish the result had been better but c'est la vie.

Well, one more game for the Giants to try and save some face against Kelowna and knock them out of the top spot. Should be a good game to watch yet again tonight.

kelownakarl
03-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I think we could do with a tie tonight too... either way a win would be oh so sweet.

Kassian
03-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Go Rockets!! :laugh:

Vancouver has no shot of beating you guys in the playoffs. So I'd rather take our chances against Kootenay. I'll still be cheering for the Giants (too hard to cheer against them) but in the back of my mind I will be happy if the Rockets win tonight.

Spungy
03-19-2005, 04:53 PM
The Ice are in a weird situation, that is for sure. The shame of it all is, I only got to see the Ice play twice this year in Vancouver, and yet, we will most likely face them in the first round. We haven't played them since November :(

I have said it before and I will say it again, if the Ice are going to be in the BC Division, then at the least, they should be playing games against their Division Foes at the end of the year, not the beginning. This will at least let the teams in the division fight it out amongst themselves for who finishes first or last.
:thumb: Totally agree on this one!

For the opinion of the fans we would love to play a more balanced schedule. We get to build the rivalries in the playoffs but we don't get to fan the flames during the regular season much

The big-city and extra attention maybe something the Ice are not familar with having hardly ever gone there. The Giants are under-achievers and they have a superstar who can win games by doing something magical. That's always a dangerous opponent come play-off time (e.g., 94 Canucks.

I think the 18028 fans at the last hitman game gave the boys a taste of what a huge crowd is like. They seemed to love it from what i heard!

Go Giants Go!!

kevanie97
03-19-2005, 06:32 PM
I would much rather play Vancouver in the 1st round then the Blazers, it just seems to me after 6 straight years going out in the 1st round that the Blazers are due to win a round and a hot goalie (Dubynk) can win you one round.

RocketMan
03-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Hopefully, I expect the Rockets to sweep. Realistically, I expect 2 points. My crystal ball foresees a tie between the mice and rockets - 104 points each.A perfect example of when you wish you weren't right. :burningma
Now if I could only get that crystal ball to work on the stock market :D

One thing's for sure -- it won't be a short series. With Fistrick back, Van's a different team. We all know what Schwartz can do if he get's hot.

Congrats to the rockets on a great season. Now, on to the playoffs. :thumb:

scamperdog
03-19-2005, 11:46 PM
what rocket fans getting scared allready

RocketMan
03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I can't remember who
The big-city and extra attention maybe something the Ice are not familar with having hardly ever gone there. The Giants are under-achievers and they have a superstar who can win games by doing something magical. That's always a dangerous opponent come play-off time (e.g., 94 Canucks.So the memory's gone, how's the eye sight?

RocketMan
03-19-2005, 11:58 PM
what rocket fans getting scared allreadyHow so? I prefer cautiously optimisitic.

C.F
03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Hopfully the Rockette fans have a longggg bus trip home!

amisk
03-20-2005, 12:33 AM
It was nice to see you all out at the arena tonight, that made the game even more exciting. Good luck to you in the up coming games..I know it will be a strech to say the G-men in 5 streight..but it could happen! :groovy:

Knuckles Muldoon
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Looking forward to a great series with some tough, hard-nosed hockey. The Giants win tonight makes the prospect of a great series much more likely, being that they finally have at least SOME confidence that they can actually beat Kelowna. That's key. If it becomes a technical series, the Rockets win easily. If the Giants use their all too-infrequent physically impassioned style of play, it could be a long one. And a great one. As a Giants fan, I don't like the goalie matchup at all. Schwarz has demonstrated that he's never too far away from letting his next weak one in. On the plus side, its clear that when the Giants are up to it, their physical play bothers Kelowna. And that will be the key for the Giants to have a chance to win. But as we've seen since September, consistency to the Giants is a foreign concept. And I do hope that someone sends Comeau's head thru the boards. He's the only Rocket that bugs the hell out of me with his mouthy, stick-you-from-behind crap. Out of the group of hard-working, classy players on Kelowna's roster, this fool sticks out like a sore thumb. Actually, I'm not crazy about Howarth, either. But I don't want to see him destroyed nearly as much as Comeau. Lets hope for two weeks of great hockey.

rinkrat
03-20-2005, 01:00 AM
I like the head to head better then wins as a second tie breaker. But the rules are set and its the same for everyone. Live by the sword and die by it also.

Yup,live by the sword...HAHAHA
Who got their ass kicked? Nice touch chanting go rockets go during our pre game awards ceremony! Don't worry,your tears will go unnoticed in the Vancouver rain.Have a nice quiet bus ride home girls!
P.S. get Sylvester to a doctor when you get home.HAHAHA

Teaps
03-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Honestly...Your just as bad as the drunks...Cat Calls, snide remarks, GEEZUS Vancouver fans need to get some CLASS!!! I will NEVER be going back to Vancouver AGAIN! Nothing but HORRRIBLE experiences...

Jovorock
03-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Yup,live by the sword...HAHAHA
Who got their ass kicked? Nice touch chanting go rockets go during our pre game awards ceremony! Don't worry,your tears will go unnoticed in the Vancouver rain.Have a nice quiet bus ride home girls!
P.S. get Sylvester to a doctor when you get home.HAHAHA
No big deal, the last time the Rockets were down they won the Memorial Cup! One bad game, read what you want into one game.

You being a Giant fan should be scared, ROCKETS IN FIVE!

C.F
03-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Honestly...Your just as bad as the drunks...Cat Calls, snide remarks, GEEZUS Vancouver fans need to get some CLASS!!! I will NEVER be going back to Vancouver AGAIN! Nothing but HORRRIBLE experiences...
Speaking of class, Rockette fans were the complete opposite. I apoligize if you're not apart of the several fans I'm talking about, but if you are, then you're not welcome back anyways.