PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Eager For Home Opener

Scout
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Broncos eager to open home schedule at the iplex

BY STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

After eight road games to begin the season the Swift Current Broncos are ready to play in front of their hometown fans on Friday night when they will face the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings at the newly renovated and renamed Credit Union iplex for the first time.

The Broncos have jumped out to an excellent start to the season with a 5-2-0-1 record over a very tough stretch of games against some quality hockey teams.

Lifted by the hot play of veterans such as Michael Wilson, Eric Doyle, Dale Weise, Geordie Wudrick, and Travis Yonkman, the Broncos have announced themselves as legitimate contenders in the WHL's East Division and Eastern Conference.

On Sunday the Broncos earned a single point in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Oil Kings. Weise and Felde each scored, while Weise was the only Bronco to score in the shootout among their five shooters.

The shootout loss snapped a two-game winning streak that included a 6-1 win over Prince George on Friday and a 2-1 victory over the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday.

The Broncos coaching staff is pleased with the team's start to the season.

"I think that with the way our team has played, particularly on the road where it is always hard to win at the junior hockey level, we are really happy with the level of talent and depth that our group has shown," says Broncos' Assistant Coach Tim Kehler.

The Broncos also seem to have elevated their play after the addition of forwards Erik Felde and Keegan Dansereau from the Tri-City Americans and Kootenay Ice respectively via trades.

Kehler believes that the addition of a pair of top six forwards has been a lift to the Broncos both on the ice and psychologically.

"It was very well received when Dean (Chynoweth) made the announcement to the team. I think that they were really excited about the additions of Erik and Keegan to our group. Not that Paul and Kyle won't be missed, they were good kids and well liked in the dressing room. We needed to add some offensive scoring and some punch to our top two lines and they have certainly been able to bring that. I think that there is certainly lots of evidence to suggest that they are going to be instrumental in our offensive production this year."

"Erik had an exceptional trip with some pretty good point production over the course of the five games," said Kehler. "Keegan is starting to get his legs, but he had a little further to go because he just had not been on the ice leading up to the trade."

The Broncos returned to Swift Current on Monday night having earned seven of a possible 10 points on a five game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia in seven days.

As with any successful junior hockey team, goaltending has been an important factor.

"Travis has been exceptional. In my mind he has not been out-goaltended in any of the starts he has had. He has really given us a great opportunity every time he has been in the net. Ian Curtis got his first taste in Prince George and put in a great performance and I think he was inserted with some confidence based on all the run support as well," noted Kehler.

"I feel really comfortable," said Yonkman. "I've spent two years on the bench behind Kyle Moir and he showed me the ropes and now it is my time to shine and I think that I have done a pretty good job so far."

Yonkman was quick to point out the strong defensive work of his teammates as crucial to his success.

"I feel comfortable with pretty much everybody on the ice. Defensively they are doing a very good job of making my job easier, letting me see the puck, and blocking lots of shots."

The Broncos' powerplay, which is operating at a 22 per cent clip, has also been a strength thus far.

Kehler noted some strong individual performances that have aided the powerplay effort.

"Both of those players have been key parts. Erik has shown that he can be very effective at the back end and with his great speed gaining the offensive zone and reeking some havoc with his speed and bringing the puck up ice. Keegan has got an excellent shot and he is a goal scorer. I think that once he gets more comfortable and his conditioning catches up with the rest of his game then he is going to be very dangerous for us as well. We also have Mike Wilson, who is contributing 12 points through his first eight games; he really quarterbacks things on the powerplay and makes it go for us. It has been satisfying for us to see that kind of success."

Defenseman Eric Doyle has also been a solid producer on the powerplay.

"I have always put a lot of pride into playing an offensive game. I am playing with a lot of talented guys on the powerplay like Mike Wilson, Dale Weise, and Geordie Wudrick so it is pretty easy to put up those numbers I guess," said Doyle.

Kehler also conceded that the coaching staff is still shuffling around the Broncos line combinations eight games into the season, and that's not necessarily a negative thing.

"There has been some shuffling going on to find some things that work with the addition of the new players and in an effort to keep kids in the lineup. With 23 players still on the roster and everybody healthy for the most part, they are all playing well enough to deserve minutes," said Kehler. "We have had to rotate a couple of guys in and out and that has necessitated some different line combinations. I think that we have seen a number of things that have worked particularly on the top two lines so we are getting close to have some stability there. There is a series of interchangeable parts through lines three and four with kids that have the ability to play up in larger rolls as well so that is really satisfying and speaks to our depth which is our single biggest weapon."

Kehler is positive that his team is rearing to go for their long awaited home opener on Friday night against the Oil Kings.

"More then anything else I think that the guys are really excited to be christening the iplex and getting going," said Kehler. "We have not only been on the road for eight days, we have been on the road since the start of training camp. Early this morning when we returned from our trip that was our first walk into our dressing room and you could see the excitement there."

For the majority of Broncos fans who have yet to see the team play, Kehler explained what they can expect to see on the ice this season.

"I think that what they can expect is a real exciting up-tempo team. We have speed and scoring through four lines and we pressure the puck in all areas. We have defenseman who can really move the puck up ice and join the play offensively which I think makes us a real dynamic group. The way that we put pressure on the puck and the way that we attack with all of our guys on the ice I think is going to make it very enjoyable for our fans."

17-year-old forward Phil Gervais pointed out team speed as a strength of the Broncos.

"I think that we are showing a lot of speed on the attack and we are really coming together as a team and working in all areas of the ice, and we are finding a way to win every night."

Doyle has been impressed with the Broncos' comeback ability.

"I like the fact that we don't let up if we have the lead and if we are coming from behind most of the time we find a way to pull through like in Moose Jaw and in Lethbridge," said Doyle. "It's a hard working team and we all take a lot of pride in the jersey we put on."

Excitement may best sum up the feeling of the Broncos players heading into Friday night's home opener.

"It is going to be exciting. I can't wait to play in front of a home crowd. Hopefully the rink will be somewhat complete by then, but it will be exciting and I cannot wait to get our fans into it," said Yonkman.

16-year-old forward Brad Hoban is also anticipating his first regular season home game with the Broncos.

"I am looking forward to it, especially as a home opener," said Hoban.

"We are definitely all very excited. It has been a long time since we have played in the rink and we are all very anxious to get back there and hopefully we get a good crowd," said Doyle.

"I think that it has been a long wait and everyone is real excited to get back in a home jersey in front of the home crowd. Our new arena is going to be real nice so it is going to be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it," added Gervais.