PDA

View Full Version : Sutter?

ProStaff
10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Guys what is all the hype about this kid? I am not to impressed! he is a first rounder? com on! Gillies showed why he is a first rounder, I think Sutter is way overrated! and can not believe he got draft earlier than Gillies. oh well time will tell I guess, it must be nice to have the last name he does, it gives him more chances to get better! some guy with different last name would have been cut already!

Eye.Of.The.Tiger
10-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Sutter is not the most flashy guy out there, but there is nobody better in the in the defensive zone, and he also excels in the faceoff circle(a lot of people overlook the importance of faceoffs). He is not going to be a 1st line stud that will score you 30 goals each season and Carolina knew that when they drafted him, their not looking for anyone to replace Eric Staal. What Sutter brings to the table is that he is very smart and he can play within a system and his offensive game will come around yet.

CrazyGeorge
10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Gillies and Sutter are different style players. When they were drafted, there respective teams saw something in both of them that that was an area of need.

sbtatter
10-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm not convinced that Sutter's defensive zone play is as good as the reputation he now has. I remember his Dad telling the media that his son was the best defensive forward in the dub, but other players don't think that. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but i think his last name and having his Dad pick him for the super series has helped him a lot. But having said that, if I had a famous name I'd use it to my advantage to!!!

icegoth
10-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Last year seemed like a "let's get Brandon drafted on the first round" development camp in RD. They brought in Hanzal and Krill to surround BS with some talent. He didn't look too good in some Team Canada games where daddy wasn't coaching but once he was drafted and the Russian series came..he showed he can be tough when he does an open ice hit. Often he looks winded near the end of his shift, so his conditioning may not be the best. Interesting that someone moved on to NJ after he was drafted and my prediction if Brent stays, that the Canes and the Horns will make a trade to bring him into the fold.

SectionNDeserter
10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Guys what is all the hype about this kid? I am not to impressed! he is a first rounder? com on! Gillies showed why he is a first rounder, I think Sutter is way overrated! and can not believe he got draft earlier than Gillies. oh well time will tell I guess, it must be nice to have the last name he does, it gives him more chances to get better! some guy with different last name would have been cut already!Hehe, funny you should say this, every time I have seen Gillies, I have wondered how he got drafted as high as he did as well. I would be surprised to see either of them ever playing on the first line on an NHL team, as neither of them have enough raw offensive talent, but I can see them developing into some pretty decent checkers.

hobster
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Well ever since Gillies as returned from minni he has been our best foward by far and is averageing a point per game. Gillies is way better than last season his skating looks amazing now and he his hitting way less and paying more atension too scoring goals. Oh and another thing i think Brett Sutter was the better one of the 2 Sutters

sbtatter
10-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Well ever since Gillies as returned from minni he has been our best foward by far and is averageing a point per game. Gillies is way better than last season his skating looks amazing now and he his hitting way less and paying more atension too scoring goals. Oh and another thing i think Brett Sutter was the better one of the 2 Sutters
Are you concerned that he's only scored in one game out of four? I hear he's skating better than ever, but doesn't look like his hands have improved any...not a criticism b/c there's a role in the NHL for a "shut down" centre against elite players on the opposition. If he had hands to go along with his skating, aggression and passion he'd be an elite prospect...

hobster
10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Well he's not a center for one thing, and another thing is if it wasn't for Remier Gillies could have had 2 goals last night easilly, he'll be good for 25 goals this season.

sbtatter
10-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Well he's not a center for one thing, and another thing is if it wasn't for Remier Gillies could have had 2 goals last night easilly, he'll be good for 25 goals this season.
Don't you think he could easily convert into a centre though? With that good skating ability and physical play I think he could, but you see him more than i do, so I'll defer to your judgement. And Reimer stoning Gillies on 2 attempts just further reinforces the fact he's not a natural goal scorer. I think anything less than 25 goals and a point per game this season would be under performing for him and his draft pick position.

ProStaff
10-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Hehe, funny you should say this, every time I have seen Gillies, I have wondered how he got drafted as high as he did as well. I would be surprised to see either of them ever playing on the first line on an NHL team, as neither of them have enough raw offensive talent, but I can see them developing into some pretty decent checkers.

Your funny SectionNDeserter! haha and you said that about Setoguchi and look how well he is doing! even thou he was sent down to the AHL he will be a good player in the NHL very soon just like Gillies will, players with his size skating and raw talent hardly ever not make it!

ProStaff
10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Some thing you guy's are forgetting about Gillies and because and since most of you guys don't see him as much as a season ticket holder would I can understand that. The blades where the youngest team in the league last year, Gillies didn't have the line support as Sutter did last year, also most don't know but for most of the last part of the season Gillies was playing Defence because we had alot of d-men injuried now this year he has Durand and Fiala as line mates and we are starting to see the true Gillies, this kid is gifted and if you ever see him in a shoot-out or a break away you will take that garbage talk that he has no hands and put it where the sun don't shine! because the kid has moves!

sbtatter
10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Some thing you guy's are forgetting about Gillies and because and since most of you guys don't see him as much as a season ticket holder would I can understand that. The blades where the youngest team in the league last year, Gillies didn't have the line support as Sutter did last year, also most don't know but for most of the last part of the season Gillies was playing Defence because we had alot of d-men injuried now this year he has Durand and Fiala as line mates and we are starting to see the true Gillies, this kid is gifted and if you ever see him in a shoot-out or a break away you will take that garbage talk that he has no hands and put it where the sun don't shine! because the kid has moves!
He was better as a dman my Stoon ST buddy said. He also says he has moves, but no hands. But all our talk is cheap, this season will tell the tale, and we'll see how many goals he scores....

ProStaff
10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I agree lets see, but lets see how many points! not goals I say 45 A and 37G

hobster
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Don't you think he could easily convert into a centre though? With that good skating ability and physical play I think he could, but you see him more than i do, so I'll defer to your judgement. And Reimer stoning Gillies on 2 attempts just further reinforces the fact he's not a natural goal scorer. I think anything less than 25 goals and a point per game this season would be under performing for him and his draft pick position.
He was a center for ost of last season people thought he would be better on the wing with his size and they were right, he really showes off his speed on the wing now. People seem too forget that last year he was only 17 and now he is 18, i think he's good for 25 or more goals and next season well watch out.

sbtatter
10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree lets see, but lets see how many points! not goals I say 45 A and 37G
If he gets that many goals and assists I will definately agree with you that he has developed better hands than I predict!! Just for fun, I'll predict 55 points for him this year if he plays 60 or so games. He'll probably miss some dub games for the WJC right?

hobster
10-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Im sure he'll atleast get a invite so he will miss about 5 or 6 games right there, i think 60 points is realistic as a 18 year old, next seaon he will do much better i say he will go 26-34-60 this season.

dagley
10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Sutter is better than Gillies in more than one area.

ProStaff
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
you have no clue what you are talking about! I will bet you anything that Gillies kills Sutter in ever stat their is this year!

hobster
10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree with prostaff all the way Gillies has players too play with ,Sutter really only has himself cause JD Watt is a idiot, so if Sutter can get more points than Gillies with really no one too play with then he has my repect .

ProStaff
10-16-2007, 12:28 AM
One thing some have forgotten, Gillies has actual talent, were Sutter has just a name.

Bocephus
10-19-2007, 08:47 AM
30 points and a -20 in his draft year. Enough said. Gillies blows.

hobster
10-19-2007, 09:39 AM
30 points and a -20 in his draft year. Enough said. Gillies blows.

Gillies does not blowe as much as you do, Gillies is averaging a point per game right now, playing a rough game, huge leader and will be better than sutter in every part of the game this season enough said GO GILLIES GO.

RebelsFan
10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Sutter showed better than Gillies last year. He played with better line mates and his Dad gave him in every opportunity on the ice. Last year Sutter had better results than Gillies, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. Gillies looked a lot more "raw" than Sutter did. Gillies took a series of bad checking from behind penalties that dogged him all year with a bad reputation. This year, Sutter is playing with a revolving door of line mates. Gillies is now playing with Fiala and Durand. I would think by the end of the year, Gillies may have better points numbers than Sutter simply because of line mates. Sutter has some work to do this year to maintain his reputation. In the end, it will be a few years until any of us can say with certainty " I told you so".