PDA

View Full Version : Bortis Fitting In

Scout
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Title: Bortis breaks out
Date: October 15, 2007

By Linda Coward hitmenhockey.com

Kyle Bortis didn’t take long to blend in with his new team. In fact, the 5’11”, 190lb centre from Saskatoon has averaged nearly a point per game since putting on a Hitmen jersey September 29.

After joining the team in Moose Jaw, following a trade with fellow Swift Current Bronco Paul Postma, in exchange for Keegan Dansereau and Brett Plouffe, the 19-year- old has lit it up offensively registering eight points in nine games. He is currently a plus six which is a Western Hockey League high for him.

Bortis was drafted by the Swift Current Broncos in the first round (16th overall) at the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft. Prior to that, he was a member of the gold medal winning Saskatoon Contacts in the prestigious Mac’s Midget Tournament in Calgary, AB in January 2004. Bortis and the Saskatoon Contacts added the 2005 Telus Cup Midget Championship to their resume with a resounding victory in Gatineau, QC.

He was awarded both the Top Scorer and Top Forward awards for his efforts and, as impressive as that sounds, Bortis’s accolades don’t stop there.

In January 2005, he was a member of the gold medal winning Team West in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Lethbridge, where he played alongside future teammates Ryan White and Ian Duval. Scoring a goal and an assist in their 3-1 victory over Team Pacific (with Karl Alzner, Eric Frere, and Dan Spence on the roster), it’s no surprise that Bortis earned himself Player of the Game.

Last season, Bortis was the recipient of the Most Sportsmanlike Player award in Swift Current, and it’s easy to see why this softly-spoken young man has so much to offer the Calgary Hitmen.

Bortis enjoyed his time with the Saskatoon Contacts and has fond memories of his AAA Midget days.

“It was great,” Bortis said with a huge smile. “Jim McIntyre (Coach and President) was a lot of fun. The way he looks at things is a little bit different, but he gets the most out of his players and does a great job there. He has a great program with the Saskatoon Contacts and he always will because he finds a way to do it.”

Ex-Saskatoon Contacts teammate and current goaltender for the Saskatoon Blades, Garrett Zemlak, remembers Bortis fondly.

“He is a super nice kid and will be thought of as a complete beauty by his teammates,” said Zemlak. “He’s also one of the most pure goal scorers I think I’ve ever played with or against. You guys made a great deal!”

Bortis’s response is simple.

“I go out there and I try my best to be offensive,” Bortis said with a smile.

“You’ve always got to be working hard all around and just try and be a great player defensively then move on up to offence.”

As is usually the case with most trades, Bortis suspected that a change was in the air.

“I knew something was happening, and it was just a matter of time. It was Saturday morning when I found out, and it was very exciting news for me,” said Bortis.

Making the transition from a small town like Swift Current to a big city like Calgary hasn’t been too overwhelming for Bortis; although, he does miss the small town lifestyle.

“It’s been a little tough just figuring out how to get around everywhere but the guys have been great helping me out and making sure I’m getting everywhere on time so everything’s going well so far,” said Bortis.

“(I miss) the small town life where everybody knows you and they’ll say hi to you out on the streets because they just recognize you and wish you the best at all times.”

Bortis made a mark in his first Hitmen home game when he scored his first goal (and an assist) against his old team.

“It was awesome,” smiled Bortis when he recalls his second period power play goal.

“I was just by the net and Sonn’s (Brett Sonne) was in the corner and he found me. I just went back door, great pass, and it wasn’t really that tough for me. It was more of a relief than anything. I guess it couldn’t have come at a better time than against your old team. You kind of want to prove something to them and to your new team so it was, overall, a great time for it.”

Bortis is certainly living up to his expectations and has been a force on the ice every single night. Having been here for a few weeks now, he is beginning to feel right at home and his confidence is growing with each passing day.

“I like the big city life I guess, and it’s a great organization here,” commented Bortis.

“It’s first class and they make sure you’re looked after. They have a very good hockey system and they’re top of the league, so it’s very exciting to be here.”