PDA

View Full Version : Good artical on Cutter

Jovorock
03-17-2005, 01:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Cuthbert cut from same cloth as first

Copied from the Kelowna Capital News Mar 16/05

By Warren Henderson
Staff Reporter
Mar 16 2005

Craig Cuthbert may not be a precise replica of his older brother Ryan.
But there are enough similarities between the 16-year-old Western Hockey League rookie and the team's former captain to have caused a few mild cases of deja vu around the Kelowna Rockets' dressing room.
"Like Ryan, he lives, eats and breathes hockey, and he always puts in an honest day's work," said Rockets head coach Jeff Truitt. "He has that same competitive nature, the same leadership skills and he's a real student of the game. Having him here this season was a no-brainer for us."
Craig Cuthbert is following in the footsteps of one of the most popular and respected players in the history of the organization. Ryan played five seasons in Rocket colours-two as captain-and established himself as a bona fide leader, as well as one of the grittiest players and best fighters in all of junior hockey. Add to his legacy a WHL championship run in 2002-03 and perhaps no player before or after has had a more significant impact on the Rockets than Ryan Cuthbert.
It sounds like an awful lot to live up to for the younger sibling from Swift Current, Sask., but so far Craig hasn't felt pressure from anyone to be the second-coming of Ryan.
"I guess there are some expectations, but no one treats me like I'm Ryan." said Craig, who like his older sibling has been labeled with the nickname Cutter. "I'm doing what I can, playing my own game and I think if you play hard, people are going to respect that. For sure, people are going to compare us but I just have to believe in myself and things should go OK."
Truitt and the Rockets have been encouraged by Cuthbert's progress despite the fact he's seen action in only 41 of the team's 69 games and his ice time has, at times, been scarce.
Still, Cuthbert understands and accepts whatever role the coaching staff sends his way.
"Even when I'm not playing, I've got the best seat in the house to learn from," said Cuthbert, the Rockets first-round choice in the 2003 bantam draft. "I get to watch guys like Weber and Mosienko play and I learn a lot from them. It's pretty important for me to be in the WHL no matter how much I play. Being around the team, learning at practise and learning people skills is all part of being here. I wouldn't get that anywhere else."
One thing Cuthbert is still waiting patiently for is a chance to celebrate his first career goal in the WHL.
"It was under my skin for a while and I was trying too hard," said Cuthbert who has a pair of assists and 15 penalty minutes this season. "I just need to stay positive, shoot the puck a little more and keep plugging away."
Added Jeff Truitt: "Sure, we'd like to see him scoring but it isn't for a lack of trying. It's been frustrating for him-but we're not too worried about it. The goals will come."
whenderson@kelownacapnews.com