PDA

View Full Version : Bronco News Courtesy Southwest Booster

Scout
10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Last updated at 9:01 AM on 19/10/07

Bronco fall food drive
This coming Saturday we are asking the public to come out and support the Bronco's and bring along some food items for the food bank. The Salvation Army will be at the doors with their food barrels collecting needed non perishable items.

The food bank gives food to many people throughout the year. At this time, there are many items we need to stock up on to ensure that we are meeting the need. This fall we have seen the number of people needing our help rise and we anticipate this to continue to growing. Also we are anticipating a greater need this Christmas food food assistance. Any non perishable food item is appreciated.

Thank You!

Captains Paul and Jennifer Loner

The Salvation Army

Scout
10-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Felde a welcome addition to Broncos

STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

Fans of the Swift Current Broncos must be pleased with the acquisition of Erik Felde after seeing Felde score five goals and picking up seven assists in eight games with the Broncos.

Felde was acquired from the Tri-City Americans on Sept. 29th in a three-way deal that saw the Broncos send defenseman Paul Postma and forward Kyle Bortis to the Calgary Hitmen for Keegan Dansereau and Brett Plouffe.

The Broncos turned around and traded Plouffe to Tri-City to acquire the 20-year-old Felde.

Felde explained that he was hoping for a trade.

"I was expecting the trade at that point. I asked for the trade at the beginning of the season when I arrived in Tri. Through a couple of games in Tri this option came in hand and I took the option. So far it has been a great opportunity for me to come play in front of a great crowd, with great teammates and a good coach."

Felde has skated on a few different line combination but has settled on the left wing in the past few games with Broncos captain Zack Smith and Keegan Dansereau. The threesome combined for six goals and six assists in two weekend wins at the Credit Union iplex.

"My line of Zack and Keegan has been an unbelievable line," said Felde. "We are starting to click with chemistry. They are good teammates to play with, highly skilled, and overall it is just fun."

The acquisition of Felde has also bolstered the Broncos powerplay which was operating at a 20.9 per cent success rate heading into Tuesday's game against Lethbridge.

"In Tri-City I played on the point and quarterbacked their powerplay when I first got there. Coach Dean gave me that opportunity again and I ran with it and I love it now."

Felde's speed and ability to gain the offensive zone with ease has given the Broncos three viable options on the blueline with the man-advantage along with Michael Wilson and Eric Doyle.

Felde, who seriously considered playing college hockey in the United States took the long route to the Western Hockey League.

Felde played one season with the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders in Iowa, who play in the United States Hockey League.

The following season, 2005/06, Felde suited up for the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL and led the team in scoring with 32 goals and 49 assists.

Felde, now with his fourth team in as many years, admitted that playing for different teams and coaches and in different leagues has helped him grow on the ice.

"Different coaches have different styles of play, so that has helped me a little bit with developing my game from being a defenseman and jumping up to forward. I am glad that I came and jumped into the WHL instead of going the college route."

After his first two home games as a Bronco, fans are already talking about Felde's speed.

"I have always had that speed since I was young and it has just kind of developed with me over the years since I have been playing hockey," said Felde.

Felde realizes that a strong season with the Broncos could help earn him a professional contract next season and he is focused on making that happen.

"I just need to use my assets and my speed. But also I have to be strong and be a team player and just play within the system."

Felde left an Americans team that was undefeated when he was traded to Swift Current. After seven games in a Broncos' uniform Felde like his team's chances this season.

"I think the Broncos chances are huge. With the way the team is looking, our skill, and the way we are improving each and every day, day in and day out, I think that we have a pretty good chance of contending in our division and in the league this year."

With the addition of Felde's speed and tenacity to the lineup the Broncos have surely increased their chances of challenging the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

Scout
10-19-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.swbooster.com/index.cfm?main=broadcast&bcid=310