PDA

View Full Version : Toigo considers taking G-men to GM Place

Beaner
03-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Steve Ewen
The Province

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Vancouver Giants majority owner Ron Toigo is expecting an offer from Orca Bay to move to GM Place and says that he'll consider it.

Toigo confirmed Wednesday that he has had a brief discussion with new Orca Bay co-owner Francesco Aquilini about the WHL club switching from the Pacific Coliseum to the downtown arena.

And he's heard from a third party, MOJO 730 AM's John McKeachie, that the Vancouver Canucks parent company was quizzing its suite holders about whether they would purchase Giants tickets.

The Giants have another year left on their Pacific Coliseum lease with the PNE. That could be bought out if Toigo and Orca Bay didn't want to wait and wanted to make a deal for next year.

Of course, having talk about leaving the Pacific Coliseum is an effective negotiation tool with the PNE as well.

"We have to look at how things are going to be in five or six or seven years," said Toigo. "We can't be thinking in the short term. We have to think about what is best for our future overall.

"No matter what, our games have to be affordable. A family of four has to be able to come to one of our games and get tickets and get parking and get something to eat and get a program."

Toigo acknowledged that he's looking for amenities to be improved at the Pacific Coliseum.

The PNE has already approved new seats for the building, but it needs to update its scoreboard, as well as make upgrades to its sound system and lighting, according to Toigo.

There are plans to do all that in time for the 2010 Olympics, but Toigo would like to see the schedule sped up.

"It's an old building and it needs some help," he said.

An NHL team sharing a venue with a WHL team works well in Calgary, with the Flames and the Hitmen, but Toigo points out that's a different situation than what could be with the Canucks and Giants.

The Flames own the Hitmen, and Toigo said he isn't about to give up his stake in the Giants. "I have no interest in selling," he said.

Toigo knows that a move to GM Place would mean that his team would be "second fiddle to the Canucks in all aspects," at the venue, but said, "I don't know if that's an issue, to be honest."

No one from Orca Bay or the PNE could be reached.

© The Vancouver Province 2005

Interesting, could be just a ploy by Toigo to get a better deal out fo the Coliseum.

Personally, I love the old Coliseum, even though it needs a lot of work. Too many to really list, but maybe this will get the PNE to bump up it's Reno schedule.

With Olympic Figure Skating competition being held in the Coliseum, you know they are going to do a great job fixing that place up as Figure Skating is probably one of the largest draws for the entire Winter Games.

Once they get it done it is going to be an amazing building to be in.

rinkrat
03-17-2005, 07:31 PM
sounds like a "win,win" situation.Either the Coliseum gets upgraded or they move to GM place.How many teams have that option? I can vouch for the seats.I have sat in more than one seat that fell apart!I'm only 190 lbs.lol

C.F
03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Keep them in the Coliseum. Not only do they get 1st dibs on schedule times(while they would be 2nd in GM place), but what's the point? It's not as if we need a bigger building, we haven't even sold out our current one once. Besides, the PC is a much better hockey arena, if you ask me.

Beaner
03-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I honestly think it's a ploy by Toigo to get them to get the reno process going.

If he can get the Renos done before 2007, maybe he thinks he can get the Memorial Cup by '07.

amisk
03-17-2005, 09:55 PM
And a good one too...way to go Ron

Jovorock
03-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I honestly think it's a ploy by Toigo to get them to get the reno process going.

If he can get the Renos done before 2007, maybe he thinks he can get the Memorial Cup by '07.
Toigo is a idiot and should sell the Giants and stick to making hamburgers. I wouldn't get too excited about Memorial Cup 2007, Calgary has it in the bag.

Beaner
03-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Toigo is a idiot and should sell the Giants and stick to making hamburgers.
:laugh:

I wouldn't get too excited about Memorial Cup 2007, Calgary has it in the bag.

I'm not, but I can pretty much guarentee that Vancouver and Toigo will be trying to get it. It's the easts turn IMHO.

The only problem I see with Calgary's bid is the use of the Saddledome since they share it with Flames. If the Flames are in the playoffs, it could create a real mess with NHL schedule and the Memorial Cup schedule.

Sput
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
:laugh:

The only problem I see with Calgary's bid is the use of the Saddledome since they share it with Flames. If the Flames are in the playoffs, it could create a real mess with NHL schedule and the Memorial Cup schedule.

The NHL has to get back on the ice before the Flames can be in the playoffs.

rinkrat
03-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Please explain why Toigo is an idiot,Jovorock?

Jovorock
03-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Please explain why Toigo is an idiot,Jovorock?
Just how bad he screwed up the Ams franchise six years ago.

rinkrat
03-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I think he's doing good things here.Decent team on the ice,top prospects game,next years world juniors.The players are accessible to the kids etc.

Beaner
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Just as an update on this, but according to the media the PNE is going to be putting the new seats in this summer.

This is part of the 27M in upgrades to the coliseum that have to happen before the Olympics.

C.F
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Just as an update on this, but according to the media the PNE is going to be putting the new seats in this summer.

This is part of the 27M in upgrades to the coliseum that have to happen before the Olympics.
Thank god!

kelownakarl
04-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Good! I have always enjoyed the Coliseum. Reminds me of the old Canucks on Renfrew days..... Too bad the Giants dont have that goal horn the Canucks used to have, it was awesome.

AMS Princess
04-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Just how bad he screwed up the Ams franchise six years ago.

And Toigo is leading the pack to screw the AMS over again (and he doesn't even own the team!) :burningma Him and Kelowna's Hamilton are trying to reverse votes! Idiots...