PDA

View Full Version : Against All Odds

Scout
10-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Keen's Korner

Saturday, October 20, 2007
Against All Odds
The Prince George Cougars battled through all sorts of adversity for the 5-4 shootout win and a 4-2 east division road swing record.

The Broncos didn't help matters. Their 4-1 third period lead evaporated quickly - mostly because of the lacklustre "this game is in the bag attitude".

Here's how the Cougars defied the odds:

- They were down 4-1 and scored three to tie it up.

- They killed off four third period powerplays including a 5-on-3 for 1:42. They also didn't get a third period man advantage.

- They killed off a full two minute 4-on-3 powerplay in overtime.

- They lost their best defenseman Ty Wishart for the 2nd half of the third period after he took a 10 minute misconduct.

- It was their sixth and final game of their long east division road swing. Fatigue was supposed to be a factor. It wasn't.

We can rip on the Broncos all we want for the way they shut it down in the 3rd but I think the bigger story is how impressive the Cougars comeback really was.

------------------------------

Scout
10-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Cougars stun Broncos in shootout
The Southwest Booster

Win number nine on the season didn't materialize for the Swift Current Broncos on Saturday night, with the team guilty of going into auto pilot and allowing the Prince George Cougars to score three unanswered third period goals before stunning the Broncos 5-4 in a shootout.
Ty Wishart scored the only shootout goal as the Cougars capped an impressive comeback from a three-goal deficit.
After taking a comfortable 4-1 lead into the third period, the Broncos got a little too comfortable and allowed the Cougars to get back in the game.
The Prince George trio of Evan Fuller, Art Bidlevskii and Parker Stanfield all scored during an 8:21 span midway through the third period to force overtime. Dana Tyrell also scored once for the winners.
Broncos rookie goaltender Ian Curtis was pulled after allowing the tying goal, with all three goals beating the rookie high from well out. Travis Yonkman faced only one shot during his 11:09 stint in goal during the end of the third and the five minute overtime, but he takes the shootout loss after yielding the goal to Wishart while turning aside the other two Cougars shooters.
Overage Cougars netminder Real Cyr 4-4 stopped 31 of 35 shots and did not allow a shootout goal to collect his fourth win of the season.
"Everyone was really disappointed on the loss. We should have came out with the win after being up 4-1 going into the third," explained Broncos rookie forward Justin Dowling. "Everyone was playing pretty good up until the third, and then we just shut it down."
The Broncos had taken a 4-1 second period lead when defencemen R.J. LaRochelle and Spencer McAvoy along with rookie forward Dowling, all collected their first markers of the year between 4:55 and 10:44 of the middle period. Captain Zack Smith also scored for the Broncos in the opening period.
Dowling expects the Broncos will come out hungry in Tuesday's home game against the Prince Albert Raiders.
"We'll take how it feels in the dressing room after this loss, and we don't want that feeling ever again."
The Cougars improve their record to 5-8-0-0 and move into fourth place in the B.C. Division, while the Broncos remain second in the East Division at 8-2-0-2.
The teams split their two game regular season series, with Swift Current earning a 6-1 win in Prince George on October 6.

WestLEAFfan
10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Keen's Korner

Saturday, October 20, 2007
Against All Odds
The Prince George Cougars battled through all sorts of adversity for the 5-4 shootout win and a 4-2 east division road swing record.

The Broncos didn't help matters. Their 4-1 third period lead evaporated quickly - mostly because of the lacklustre "this game is in the bag attitude".

Here's how the Cougars defied the odds:

- They were down 4-1 and scored three to tie it up.

- They killed off four third period powerplays including a 5-on-3 for 1:42. They also didn't get a third period man advantage.

- They killed off a full two minute 4-on-3 powerplay in overtime.

- They lost their best defenseman Ty Wishart for the 2nd half of the third period after he took a 10 minute misconduct.

- It was their sixth and final game of their long east division road swing. Fatigue was supposed to be a factor. It wasn't.

We can rip on the Broncos all we want for the way they shut it down in the 3rd but I think the bigger story is how impressive the Cougars comeback really was.

------------------------------

Do you want in on a little secret? This PG fan was stunned by the victory as well! haha I hope the team can use this comeback as fuel for Chilliwack next week.

Bocephus
10-21-2007, 08:56 AM
We feel your pain SC. Lethbridge lost a 4-2 lead with less than 5 minutes left to Kooteney this year and lost 5-4 in regulation on home ice. A dreadful collapse on our part. We didn't even get a single point. We were actually up 4-0 at one point. IT HAPPENS.

Viper40
10-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Really? I was at the same game, but do not recall a tremendous comeback from Prince George....I agree that it may seem that way on the score sheet due to stats previously quoted such as killing off a 5-3, killing off a 4-3 in O.T., losing Wishart, ect. but we all saw the game. A lack luster practice drill of pass the puck on a 5-3, a "chalk up another win I am not gonna hurt myself now" performance by our Vets in the third and I don't want to call out a rookie goaltender while he is learning, but we did not give up any HIGH quality scoring chances in the third, and 3 went in. I am not looking for a fight, but lets not sugar coat anything, we gave away a win, it's that simple. My recap of the game, from the third period in..... Prince George mounted a minimal offensive attack in the third at best, scoring 2 possibly 3, 'AAA' caliber goals and withstood the only pressure Swift Current provided ........... from their rookie line, which was the best on the ice the entire game. A dialed in third by the Bronco's sends this game to overtime, and a "Big League" shoot out goal by Wishart spells the difference. Cougars win 5-4........... Just my opinion.

Flathead
10-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Really? I was at the same game, but do not recall a tremendous comeback from Prince George....I agree that it may seem that way on the score sheet due to stats previously quoted such as killing off a 5-3, killing off a 4-3 in O.T., losing Wishart, ect. but we all saw the game. A lack luster practice drill of pass the puck on a 5-3, a "chalk up another win I am not gonna hurt myself now" performance by our Vets in the third and I don't want to call out a rookie goaltender while he is learning, but we did not give up any HIGH quality scoring chances in the third, and 3 went in. I am not looking for a fight, but lets not sugar coat anything, we gave away a win, it's that simple. My recap of the game, from the third period in..... Prince George mounted a minimal offensive attack in the third at best, scoring 2 possibly 3, 'AAA' caliber goals and withstood the only pressure Swift Current provided ........... from their rookie line, which was the best on the ice the entire game. A dialed in third by the Bronco's sends this game to overtime, and a "Big League" shoot out goal by Wishart spells the difference. Cougars win 5-4........... Just my opinion.
I'm with Viper, that's the way I saw it as well. I was disappointed with the outcome as well. But we 're not going to win them all and hopefully we can learn something from this, and young Curtis isn't going to get better riding the bench all year, I'm sure he would be the first to tell ya that he would like two or three of those goals back again. What I did really like last night was our rookies didn't look like rookies at all, they played their butts off. I also really liked Wudricks effort last, he was throwing some big league hits and had a few scoring chances. At least we salvaged 1 point out it. best of luck on Tuesday against the Raiders.

SuckItUp
10-21-2007, 04:05 PM
How can anyone really blame the goaltender after the effort put infront of him. Some people last night blamed the whole thing on young Curtis. Give your head a freakin shake man. Yeah a few of the goals were weak I give you that but come on. If some of the vets actually put a little effort into it they would not have been able to get the shots off in the first place. BRUTAL effort by some who should no better.

Enough negative KUDOS to the rookies. Man they sure look great out their. Eakin, Hoban, Brown, Dowling and Rogers do not look out of place at all. They actually put their bodies on the line more than some 3rd or 4th year players. Job well done. To all the players, learn from this and dont let i become a habit.

Viper40
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
First off, I beleive I did right from the start, point out the lack luster play of the vets in front of Curtis, and never would I point out an individual effort as being the cause of a loss. Not to defend the skaters in front of Curtis, but at least 2 of the 3 third period goals were broken play, attempts on net, low percentage shots, not to mention not a single shot on Yonkman after the goalie change. This just re-emphisizes my point about us giving a win, and PG not earning it. You score 3 unanswered goals to tie one of the top teams in the league, and don't accomplish a shot on net the remainder of the game, with every ounce of momentum in your favor......ouch. I never posted my opinion as a knock on Curtis. I was only stating that I disagreed with the statement that the Cougars deserved any credit for a good win.

d-man
10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
How can anyone really blame the goaltender after the effort put infront of him. Some people last night blamed the whole thing on young Curtis. Give your head a freakin shake man. Yeah a few of the goals were weak I give you that but come on. If some of the vets actually put a little effort into it they would not have been able to get the shots off in the first place. BRUTAL effort by some who should no better.

Enough negative KUDOS to the rookies. Man they sure look great out their. Eakin, Hoban, Brown, Dowling and Rogers do not look out of place at all. They actually put their bodies on the line more than some 3rd or 4th year players. Job well done. To all the players, learn from this and dont let i become a habit.
Dalecky was also great. Worked hard, had some chances and created opportunities in the third.

Flathead
10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Dalecky was also great. Worked hard, had some chances and created opportunities in the third.
The young Euro likes to throw the body and muck it up in the corners as well as his offensive creativeness, he does look very good so far. Should be a good pick up, way to go scouting staff.