PDA

View Full Version : Harty back Friday

Tipped Off
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Silvertips' Harty back sooner than expected?

Everett defenseman and captain still out for tonight's game, but might be able to play Friday

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- When the Everett Silvertips take the ice tonight against the Saskatoon Blades, they'll do so without their captain.

However, it looks as though the Tips will have Jonathan Harty's services available again sooner rather than later.

The Everett defenseman is still recovering from the hip injury he suffered during Friday's 4-3 victory at Kelowna. However, the injury turned out to be less serious than it appeared when Harty had to be helped off the ice.

"He's definitely not going to be playing (today), but I think we're pretty hopeful for Friday (against Brandon)," Everett coach John Becanic said Tuesday. "With having eight (defensemen) here and the young guys itching to get in, it's a great opportunity for us to get them a game and give (Harty) a couple extra days off."

The injury occurred early in the second period Friday when Harty went to clear a puck in his own zone during a penalty kill. Just as he shot the puck away he was hit into the boards by Kelowna's Jamie Benn and crumpled to the ice.

Somehow Harty was able to drag himself back into the play, and he was the one who finally cleared the puck from the zone, doing so from his knees.

However, Harty fell onto his back as soon as the whistle was blown and had to be assisted off the ice by a pair of teammates.

"I think it was just one of those freak hits," Harty said. "Nothing went wrong, it was a clean hit for sure. I just followed through with my shot and he just hit me the right way. I fell into the boards the wrong way and the worst came out of it."

Harty was diagnosed with a hip pointer. He did not participate in Tuesday's practice and said he was still feeling "a little sore," but he skated without contact earlier in the day.

With Harty out, things immediately turned south for the Tips. Everett led Kelowna 4-1 at the time of Harty's injury, but the Rockets pulled within 4-3 and were pressuring for the tying goal right up until the final horn.

"It's always tough losing one of your D-men, especially one like Harty who's pretty much an anchor on the team," Harty's defensive partner Graham Potuer said. "He's our captain and to see a guy like that hurt, it definitely shakes up the team a little bit. But we've just got to fight through it, we've got other guys who can play in his spot, so we've just got to keep going and get some wins."

Everett hopes the first of those wins comes tonight against Saskatoon, the first Eastern Conference team the Tips face this season. Indeed, with Saskatoon today and Brandon on Friday, it's a week full of games against teams Everett faces just once each season.

That presents something of a challenge as the Tips have little knowledge of their opponents or their tendencies.

"I guess it's a little bit refreshing to play somebody different," Becanic said. "Obviously the coaching staff will have to work a little harder to prepare for both (today's) and Friday's games."

The Tips are also trying to get back on track after a taxing weekend. Not only did Everett lose Harty, they lost 3-2 in Vancouver on Saturday in an odd game. The Tips were outplayed by the Giants, but were tied with less than three minutes remaining when Vancouver scored the winner after a controversial officiating decision.

"We certainly weren't pleased with our performance this past weekend," Becanic said. "We still took two points and probably should have had three at the worst. So even though we didn't play our best hockey, we still competed with two pretty good hockey teams."