PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Question

TIPMAN
10-25-2007, 03:39 PM
After seeing the goaltending last night vs Everett and some of the Portland game, am I crazy to think that Saskatoon might be up for another deal with Everett for David Reekie? Is Flatters expendable? Molleken seems fed up with the whole situation and it seems like a good fit for Reekie. What are some Blades fans opinions on this.

howley
10-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Would never ever ever happen. The goalies seem to be off to abit of a slow start and sounds like they had somewhat of a poor game last night. Although Holtby still picked up a star? So he couldnt have been that weak. Holtby is a qualified starter in this league IMO and will (Guarentee) be drafted unless he slumps all year. Looking at last nights numbers. He stopped 29/31 shots.
I am not to good at math but that is a .930 sv%. Which is nothing to worry about.

From what I've heard Holtby has kept a majority of the games alot closer then they ever should have been and has maybe been one of the few bright spots for the Blades this year. I am just going from what I've heard as I haven't watched a game this year.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Would never ever ever happen. The goalies seem to be off to abit of a slow start and sounds like they had somewhat of a poor game last night. Although Holtby still picked up a star? So he couldnt have been that weak. Holtby is a qualified starter in this league IMO and will (Guarentee) be drafted unless he slumps all year. Looking at last nights numbers. He stopped 29/31 shots.
I am not to good at math but that is a .930 sv%. Which is nothing to worry about.

From what I've heard Holtby has kept a majority of the games alot closer then they ever should have been and has maybe been one of the few bright spots for the Blades this year. I am just going from what I've heard as I haven't watched a game this year.

There is Zemlak too, who is also 18 years old. Shipping him to Everett (with an OA) for a guy who could fill in until Holtby gets going will benefit Everett and will help them move up their goaltending depth chart. Also could pick up another quality player there, like one of those guys who doesnt play on the big line, and could thrive with ice time. (guys like Harper, or burt etc)

Saskatoon needs solid goaltending right now, and it wouldnt hurt holtby to go 50/50 with reekie until he gets going. Reekie is a quality goaltender and has established himself as one of the top goalies in the league. He might be what the blades need to get going.

Remember, you guys have until the deadline, of course.

TIPMAN
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I agree with some of both of your points. Holtby was good last night overall. Let in a softy but came up huge at other times. I've been kind of puzzled about the things I've read about how unhappy Molleken's been with the netminders. Holtby's numbers are pretty good really for being on a young team. He's definitely the future in net there. If a trade were to happen though, Everett wouldn't need an OA in return as Reekie's OA #4 in Everett (he's been out with mono so they got a deadline extension). Zemlak's been good at times last year so Everett might be happy to take him straight across in a deal. More than likely I'd guess all the Blades would have to give up is a pick for him but who knows. Us here in Everett have been speculating on where Reekie ends up and Saskatoon seemed to be a nice fit looking at it from afar. We'll see here in the next week or so.

Brandonite
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with some of both of your points. Holtby was good last night overall. Let in a softy but came up huge at other times. I've been kind of puzzled about the things I've read about how unhappy Molleken's been with the netminders. Holtby's numbers are pretty good really for being on a young team. He's definitely the future in net there. If a trade were to happen though, Everett wouldn't need an OA in return as Reekie's OA #4 in Everett (he's been out with mono so they got a deadline extension). Zemlak's been good at times last year so Everett might be happy to take him straight across in a deal. More than likely I'd guess all the Blades would have to give up is a pick for him but who knows. Us here in Everett have been speculating on where Reekie ends up and Saskatoon seemed to be a nice fit looking at it from afar. We'll see here in the next week or so.

I honestly think that David Reekie is possibly the most underated player in the WHL. Ever since he broke in with Regina, I thought he was awesome and always kept his teams in games and was always an exciting goalie to watch. I seen that video of him fighting Devan Dubnyk from Kamloops a couple years ago with Dubnyk being almost a foot taller. Reekie is solid and never got a fair chance I dont think with anyone especially in Everett with Leland Irving. I'd go after Reekie if you have room for a 20 year old, hes a solid goaltender!

hobster
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I agree with some of both of your points. Holtby was good last night overall. Let in a softy but came up huge at other times. I've been kind of puzzled about the things I've read about how unhappy Molleken's been with the netminders. Holtby's numbers are pretty good really for being on a young team. He's definitely the future in net there. If a trade were to happen though, Everett wouldn't need an OA in return as Reekie's OA #4 in Everett (he's been out with mono so they got a deadline extension). Zemlak's been good at times last year so Everett might be happy to take him straight across in a deal. More than likely I'd guess all the Blades would have to give up is a pick for him but who knows. Us here in Everett have been speculating on where Reekie ends up and Saskatoon seemed to be a nice fit looking at it from afar. We'll see here in the next week or so. The Blades will never make a move for a goalie, Holtby will get better even if we did try and Get Reekie we would have too either dropDurand Fiala or Flatters and i wouldn't drop any of them for leaky reekie. The time he played with the Pats a couple season's ago the Blades whipped him pretty good in the playoffs.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok honestly,Yes Molleken is giving Holtby every chance to play and prove that he is the #1 for several reasons. How long is he going to be given that chance? I think we all know that he is not playing the way that the Blades want him too.

There was an article in the SP saying that if the goalies do not step up and perform then Matthew Krahn,and(or) Adam Morrison could get a call up,although it would probably not be for long.

The other option is making a trade but I do not know if that is the smartest idea in the world right now? Given the fact that the season is less than 30 games old.

I do not know if the Blades would just want to stick with Holtby and Zemlak either though?

Trav
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Hitmen fans that the Hitmen were lucky to win last night, the loss points to the goaltending. Holtby was pulled yet again. I dunno whats going on with their goaltending but it needs to be fixed and fast if they wanna have a shot at making the playoffs.

One of them will for sure be gone next year so if the Blades are no where near the playoffs at the trade deadline then one or both should be moved and they should then bring in Morrison or Krahn and get them some games cuz one of them will be here next year. Would be funny if both were good enough to play next year and if they are then I'd keep them both.

hobster
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Thing is no team in the league would want either of our goalies right now.I really think Lorne needs too start Zemlak tonight, if Zemlak steals a game then ride him out go with the hot hand.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Thing is no team in the league would want either of our goalies right now.I really think Lorne needs too start Zemlak tonight, if Zemlak steals a game then ride him out go with the hot hand.
I agree about Zemlak,but with Molleken you kinda never know,he might be thinking Holtby needs another game to redeem himself (get his confidence back) but like I said how many more chances is Holtby going to get? I hope this situation gets solved soon.

Trav
11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Molleken should just bring up either Krahn or Morrison, Krahn cuz he's closer to Saskatoon then Morrison is and then start him. Make one of the guys sit in the bleachers and watch. If Krahn or Morrison played well then start him next game. Send a msg to the whole team. If you're not going to perform, you'll be sitting.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Molleken should just bring up either Krahn or Morrison, Krahn cuz he's closer to Saskatoon then Morrison is and then start him. Make one of the guys sit in the bleachers and watch. If Krahn or Morrison played well then start him next game. Send a msg to the whole team. If you're not going to perform, you'll be sitting.
Yep this is exactly wha6 I would do (but I am not the coach) If that works then good,because this has to stop!!!!!

hobster
11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't care how bad a player is doing you don't let him rot in the stands atleast trade him or send him down not fair too the player .

Arthur Fonzerelli
11-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I've seen Morrison play a few times this season and unless the Blades want to stay near the bottom of the pack I don't think he will be the answer to your goalie problems. Regina has a stable full of decent young goalies and I'm sure they would move a prospect goalie for a prospect player. Lorne drafted these guys so do you really trust his evaluation of goalkeepers.

hobster
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
If anyone it will be Krahn that gets called up as he has some great numbers in manitoba right now.