PDA

View Full Version : Broncos/Oil Kings

Broncs in RD
10-27-2007, 02:16 PM
After missing the Rebels Bronco game(due to work) I will finally get to see the broncos in action tonight. (I came down with a cold tonight) I can't pass up too many opportunities so Big Ern I will see you there. Not sure what section I am in, but am in the 13th row on the red line.

Broncs in RD
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Well tonight I had the opportunity to meet the great Big Ern. My opinion of the game was total domination by the broncos. Once again we ran into a hot tender or maybe a little lucky. I won't put a big recap on the game cause that Big Erns job...lol Dans, Felde, Hoban, Eakin all had a great game IMO, if Dans could have potted one of his 2 breakaways in the first I think we could of been in store for another 10-1 spanking. Yonks was steady and made a few big saves. RJ was in everyones face and had a pretty good tilt. Man that Felde when he gets the puck look out he is simply amazing. We only had 2 PP's kinda strange when we had the puck most of the game, but we stilll found a way to win. Just alittle side not if you plan to go to a game in Edmonton bring your Visa or MasterCard. Ticket 33$, Parking 10$ Large pop 4.50$. You can get single tickets on game day for 17$ I believe, but how in the heck can the average family attend these games? The oil kings better become winners or a repeat of the Edmonton Ice will happen again. Did anyone catch Big Ern on the jumbo tron priceless.

bronco rep
10-28-2007, 12:09 AM
What was up with big Ern on jumbo tron? Broncs wait till this team gets healthy. I still say we win the east yet. I had to laugh when you mentioned how much it costs to go to a game there & people here in Swift complain about $16.00. Big game here Tues & the boys will be ready to blast the Pats. Wiese & Wundrick should be back in the lineup & they will make this team scary to play against. dancing pi

Big Ern
10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Well tonight I had the opportunity to meet the great Big Ern. My opinion of the game was total domination by the broncos. Once again we ran into a hot tender or maybe a little lucky. I won't put a big recap on the game cause that Big Erns job...lol Dans, Felde, Hoban, Eakin all had a great game IMO, if Dans could have potted one of his 2 breakaways in the first I think we could of been in store for another 10-1 spanking. Yonks was steady and made a few big saves. RJ was in everyones face and had a pretty good tilt. Man that Felde when he gets the puck look out he is simply amazing. We only had 2 PP's kinda strange when we had the puck most of the game, but we stilll found a way to win. Just alittle side not if you plan to go to a game in Edmonton bring your Visa or MasterCard. Ticket 33$, Parking 10$ Large pop 4.50$. You can get single tickets on game day for 17$ I believe, but how in the heck can the average family attend these games? The oil kings better become winners or a repeat of the Edmonton Ice will happen again. Did anyone catch Big Ern on the jumbo tron priceless.

Well, likewise BRONCSinRD, it was a thrill to finally meet you.

It's even better for me that you did the recap, because now I don't have to!! LOL Maybe not as organized, but that recap sums it all up as well as I could sum it up, so I won't spend much more time typing today, and spend my time in Red Deer with family instead. ;)

Just a few little things:

-it was a highlight to be on the big screen at Rexall. I loved it!! HAHA.

-the Broncos dominated. How we did not lead at least 4-0 after that first period is beyond me. Sometimes I swear I thought the goalie, Archibald, worked witchcraft or something. LOL He was just in the right place at the right time REPEATEDLY!!

-our team fought adversity......they faced a red hot goalie, and still kept the pressure on, even when the Kings got that elusive first goal. The focus stayed the same...to win the game, which is what happened.

-how dangerous a team will we have when Dale Weise is back, and we have a healthy line-up?? Look out.

-good job. I think we're back in business.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Moose Mcthang
10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I saw the Oil Kings in Medicine Hat this week and in the game which Edmonton got outshot something like 39-17 Archibald absolutely stood on his head. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't even have got to overtime in that game so I'm not surprised to hear how good he played, but its good to see the Broncos are finding the win column again!

Broncs in RD
10-28-2007, 12:41 AM
It was perfect they had the pumpkin relay going on where they had to pass a pumpkin around so the camera guy was following it, but big ern happened to be in the way waving the bronco crest on his jersey. Pretty Funny.
Ya when Weise comes back look out. I think Wudrick kinda needs him on his line. Rep I haven't seen a team like this since the '93 broncos.

Scout
10-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Sun, October 28, 2007

Archibald's heroics not enough for Kings
By JASON HILLS, SUN MEDIA

It was Halloween night at Rexall Place last night and Alex Archibald was scary good.

The Edmonton Oil Kings, however, weren't able to match the effort of their veteran netminder.

For two periods Archibald turned aside everything the explosive Swift Current Broncos fired at him, but in the end that wasn't enough as the Broncos rallied for a 3-1 victory at Rexall Place.

"He battles, that's what he does night in and night out and we need to start pulling some of these game out for him," said Oil Kings head coach Steve Pleau.

"We've got to shoot the puck and hit the net. We shot the puck and missed the net, and they were grade A scoring chances. Those are opportunities you can't give up."

The Oil Kings are struggling to find the back of the net the past couple games.

They had gone a whopping 117:34 without a goal until Karey Pieper finally broke the drought with a power-play goal 4:14 into the third period with a nice wrist shot that beat Travis Yonkman for a 1-0 lead.

"We battled hard, we put ourselves in a great position, but we made a couple of mistakes and lately when we've done that, it's found the back of our net," added Pleau.

Archibald was very busy through the first two periods, making 24 saves to keep the game scoreless.

The Broncos boast one of the WHL's top scoring lines in Keegan Dansereau, Levi Nelson and Erik Felde and Archibald came up huge in the first period, stoning Dansereau on two separate breakaways.

"They have a lot of great offensive players and I thought we did a good job of keeping a lot of the shots from the outside, but when you keep giving a team like that opportunities, they are going to take advantage of it," added Pleau."

Felde's hard work was finally rewarded at 7:45 of the third period when he picked up a loose puck that deflected off a Oil Kings defenceman and beat Archibald with a nice shot.

Broncos captain Zack Smith was in the penalty box when Pieper opened the scoring and he replied back with a power-play marker of his own to give the Broncos a 2-1 lead. The shot from the faceoff dot wasn't overly dangerous, but it fooled Archibald.

"They weren't shooting from that side much on their power play and I was caught cheating over to the other side," said Archibald. "It's tough because that ended up being the winner."

Dansereau scored his ninth of the season with an empty net tally at the 18:18 mark.

Archibald made 36 saves in the loss, dropping his record to 4-5-1-1.

Scout
10-28-2007, 09:44 AM
ANOTHER SETBACK AGAINST SWIFT
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings can't catch any breaks. They played another solid 55 minutes Saturday night only to fall 3 - 1 to the visiting Swift Current Broncos. The teams were tied with just a half a period to go with Karey Pieper and Erik Felde trading goals early in the third period. Then Broncos captain Zack Smith scored the go ahead powerplay goal with about 7 and a half minutes to go and Keegan Danserau added the empty netter for the Broncos 3 - 1 victory.

The Edmonton Oil Kings must be getting used to playing scoreless hockey. After going through 60 minutes of regulation without a goal versus Medicine Hat on Wednesday, they extended that scoreless trend through another 20 minutes of play Saturday night against Swift Current. Edmonton did have a couple of chances to break the ice early. Czech rookie Tomas Vincour ripped a shot off the shoulder of Travis Yonkman and then it grazed the crossbar. A little later, J-P Szaszkiewicz sailed one just wide on the far side while the Oil Kings were killing a penalty. It was 0 - 0 after the first period and the Broncos were outshooting the Oil Kings 12 - 5 despite Edmonton enjoying about 5 minutes of powerplays.

There was more great defence in the second period and some better scoring chances. The Broncos first chance to break the goose egg in the second period came just 63 seconds into the frame. Zack Smith decided to shoot on a 2 on 1 but Archibald turned him away. Less than a minute later, the Broncos turned it over in their own zone and Brett Breitkreuz found himself all alone in the slot. His deke to the backhand couldn't fool Yonkman and the game remained tied. The highlight of the period had to be the fight between Edmonton's Drew Nichol and Swift Current's R.J. LaRochelle. The 2 squared off at centre ice and threw about 7 hay-makers each, landing most of them. That brought the benches and stands to their feet.

Alex Archibald continues to see a lot of rubber between the pipes for the Oil Kings. His best sequence of the second period came when the Broncos leading scorer Eric Felde and linemates Brad Hoban and Cody Eakin broke in on the odd man rush. Archibald stopped the first shot and then batted away the rebound with his blocker for a pair of spectacular saves.

"He battles." said Oil Kings Head Coach Steve Pleau when asked about his starting goalie. "I thought Arch played another great game. We need to start helping him out with a little more offence down at the other end of the rink. We just need to shoot more. I can think of 7 or 8 'grade A' scoring chances where our players didn't even hit the net."

It was still scoreless through 40 minutes and the Broncos lead on the shot clock was 24 - 11.

The Oil Kings persistence finally paid off. Just after Broncos captain Zack Smith took a roughing penalty for decking Tyler Hlookoff from behind, Edmonton's powerplay went to work. They didn't really even have a chance to set up. Veteran Karey Pieper just threw the puck on net from about the hash marks along the boards. His knuckleballer made it through a maze and a screened Travis Yonkman. Pieper's third of the year from Brenden Dowd and Bretton Stamler made it 1 - 0 for the home team.

It didn't take the Broncos too long to respond. 50 seconds later, St. Albert native Matt Tasone picked up a rebound that bounced all the way out to the top of the circle. Tassone's quick, high shot was tipped in front by Erik Felde. His team leading 9th goal knotted things up at one.

"Give the Broncos credit." said Pleau. "They've got a lot of good offensive players but they know how to get hard working goals too. Their go ahead goal was just a product of throwing it at the net."

About 6 and a half minutes later, the Broncos extended their lead thanks to a powerplay. Felde was the quarterback. He dished to Zack Smith who was almost the same spot that Pieper was for the Oil Kings goal. His wrist shot eluded the glove of Archibald and Swift Current had their first and only lead the game they needed.

Keegan Dansereau added a little insurance into an empty net and kept pace with Felde for the team's scoring lead with his 9th of the year to make the final score 3 - 1 Swift Current.

The Broncos record improves to 10 - 4- 0 - 2 while the Oil Kings' losing streak extends to 6 and their record stands at 4 - 6 - 1- 2. Next up for Edmonton will be the first ever southern edition of the new WHL Battle of Alberta. The Oil Kings take on the Hitmen in Calgary Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Pengrowth Saddledome followed by another road game Tuesday night in Lethbridge.