PDA

View Full Version : GM #17: Pats vs. Raiders

nivek_wahs
10-27-2007, 04:06 PM
L-P's game notes

PRINCE ALBERT (4-10-2-0) at REGINA (12-4-0-0)

Today, 7 p.m., Brandt Centre

Radio: 620 CKRM

Key injuries: REGINA -- RW Brett Leffler (concussion, one week); PRINCE ALBERT -- C Andy Smith (knee, day-to-day), D Kyle Aschim (wrist, week-to-week), C Bryce Lamb (concussion, indefinite).

Overview: Because of a scheduling quirk, the Pats and Raiders are playing for the sixth time in a little over a month. They won't meet again until Feb. 22 . . . Regina has won all five meetings so far, outscoring P.A. 20-6 . . . The Raiders had lost six straight until they surprised the host Swift Current Broncos 4-2 on Tuesday night . . . The Pats have won seven straight home games and are 8-1 overall at the Brandt Centre. Prince Albert is 3-5 on the road . . . Ex-Pat Ryan McDonald leads the Raiders with seven goals and seven assists in 14 games . . . Pats RW Jordan Eberle leads the league with 14 goals and 23 points in 14 games.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Why couldnt I have missed this game and the 1-0 snoozer against (guess who?), and have gone to the SC classic, and the lethbridge game instead? SUCKS!

(**Warning** Long Recap/Game Thoughts Alert)

First off, I am gonna get a few things out of the way........Rowat was terrible! He was probably the main reason we lost this game, I am not going to lie. Sorry Linden, but you can do ALOT better than that...ALOT better. Basically everything that was remotely a scoring opportunity went in, which is the ONLY reason why "cryin' ryan" got a hat trick. He later left the game because it was past his bed time.(injury). I think Mcdonald had no business being the first star tonight, being that he wasnt extraordinary at all. Rowat should have easily saved all three of his shots(though the first one was kind of a dumb goal, it looked like it went off a pat or something). But whatever, guess its fair after shutting Mcdonald completely out of every other game he has played against us.

Regardless of all of that, it wasnt all Rowats fault. Our defence, though they looked decent offensively tonight, were not there defensively. Teubert was more concerned about hitting guys than going after the puck. He got an awful lot of icetime tonight, and should take some of this time to work on his offensive game next time. We all know he is tough, but if he is getting top 4 ice time, he needs to at least try to get a goal. Valach, aside from a couple mistakes, had a solid game. Looking better and better out there every game. Pyett and Ross were wonderful offensively, but terrible defensively. Delahey was terrible offensively, but terrible defensively(tonight). All in all, they are all capable of playing better. This is how games would normally look if Rowat wasnt there to save our butts all the time, and this time, he obviously wasnt.

I thought May was PA's best player on the ice by far, notching a few points, playing like a leader, and winning in a fight against Ofukany(will address later), and Cameron had a very good game too. Deck was quietly one of the best defencemen on the ice, though I expected more from Voracek. I was very impressed with tendler too, he should end up being a very good player for PA down the road. White looks like a decent acquitition. Butler....was ok. he didnt get pulled so I see that as an improvement. Also, what wrong with this depape kid? He was in the penalty box more than he was on the bench, and should have been in the box more. Instigating, tripping and everything in the book. He also fell down alot. Someone needed to clean his clock, too bad fraipont cant fight. Lucky for him, the refs were beyond bad.

My faaavorite part has to be when May hit pyett with a questionable hit, and Ofukany stands up for him.(close fight, both threw punches, but May was in control). May gets his 5, but no penalty for the hit, and Troy gets 2 5 and a game. A similar play happened earlier with Depape and Valach. I think someone took the big man down, and depape hit him while he was laying down on the ice. Fraipont stands up for him, and same deal. Only 5 to depape, and fraipont gets 2,5,10. But at this point, after watching how many games I have, I shouldnt be surprised.

Now, our offence. Eberle, and Kraus are basically our offence, and despite how dynamic both are, we need to get some more secondary scoring going on. Eberle, Kraus, Ross, and Pyett were the only ones putting up numbers tonight at all. Gross has done nothing offensively for awhile, and despite hill's great start, he is going to have to put up some more numbers if he wants to come back next year. Guys like Cervany, Jagow, and Leffler(when he gets back) are going to be relied on for secondary scoring, but for that to happen, they need to be put in more scoring situations, with scoring intentions. Also, Strueby really needs to get going, he has not impressed me at all considering what I have heard about him. The talent appears to be there, but he need to pass the puck more. He also gets knocked off of it waaaaay too easily.

Basically, the whole thing was a mess, and it wasnt fun watching us lose a game we should have won. They may have outworked us, but we were still playing like the better team on the ice. If Rowat was on his toes, I am sure that we would have won the game. The EN wouldnt have happened, and at least 3 of the other goals scored should not have gone in. But the goals did go in, the game is over and thats the way it is.

Perhaps, though, we needed this loss. This way, we will work harder to be ready for our next game, which will be more important than this one was. I would rather have our team go into SC with a more serious approach than come in right after a cooshy win against PA, and expect the same to happen against the Broncos. I am hoping we can put this game behind us and move on.

westbeach55
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
well usually a hat trick can land you the first star and the thing about cryin Ryan would rather have him on our team than elder (what was parker thinkng in this trade?) if mcdonald on the pats now wow that would be scary offence on that team

witness
10-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Ryan McDonald would never have been on the 07-08 Pats. Never did want to except the role that was given to him and he has questionable conduct (both off and on the ice).

westbeach55
10-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Well i mean you have a point but don't just go take the first deal you see. regina could have done way better than elder (how is he even on the team this year)

patsdude114
10-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Dont even get me started with elder.... the only reason he is on this team is cuz he can kinda hold his own in fights....cant skate worth **** screwed up two 3 on 2 rushes cuz he thinks he can fly wide on the dman and beat him

westbeach55
10-28-2007, 01:34 PM
haha thats exactally the reason why i'm glad he got traded from the raiders and i just feel parker could have got alot more than elder for mcdonald

eye4aneye
10-28-2007, 03:54 PM
A staunch raider fan i was happy last night listening to the game on the radio. I don't care how one sided your own colour guys are ..it was nice to see them excited. All teams have up and downs for whatever reasons...I am gald the pats had their down night when we were in town. dancing pi . May fighting? yippeee..... beers for my friends in regina

hobster
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
About time you guys beat the Pats took 6 games. For whatever reason the Pats give up in the third period when down by 2 goals, and plus you guys got a emptee neter i don't think that was really a 7-3 game at all. And also Drew Wilson is the biggest clown ever, he's gonna deffin me one of these days.

eye4aneye
10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Hunt wasn't impressed with the play of his team, and if they want to give up in the third only down 4-3...that is definetly going to be addressed by the coach. Anyways as I said i don't care how we got the win, the pats have our number but not last night!!! :laugh:

westbeach55
10-28-2007, 09:31 PM
About time you guys beat the Pats took 6 games. For whatever reason the Pats give up in the third period when down by 2 goals, and plus you guys got a emptee neter i don't think that was really a 7-3 game at all. And also Drew Wilson is the biggest clown ever, he's gonna deffin me one of these days.

Isn't about time the blades won a game for whatever reason. and who would have though 7 goals in one game more than the blades have had in 4 games but I guess you get my point the blades arn't in any better situation than the raiders and we know drew wilson is a clown but don't listen to him then you must have something better to do than listen to a raiders vs pats game on a saturday night the blades are wishing they could even get a empty netter

hobster
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Well i was traveling out of town and i tuned into the Raider game for the first time in my lif. And Drew Wilson is such a homer ,and as for 7 goals against the Pats don't get too flatered the Blades beat them 7-3 this year too. The Blades will start winning games again pretty soon as they are done there us trip and a alberta trip allready. So the wins will come, don't be too happy as a Raider fan cause your team or the Blades wont be making the playoffs this season.

eye4aneye
10-28-2007, 11:33 PM
We did our Alberta swing already.....as long as there is improvement with the young guys that is all we want!! Miracles don't happen over night....well at least not in canadian hockey...only the americans can make winning in hockey a miracle .. Boogaard'd :laugh:

Tadaa
10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Lets face it. The real reason the pats lost tonight is because they weren't fully in touch with their feminine side whilst wearing those pink jerseys...