PDA

View Full Version : Giant's broadcasters

Giantsfan
10-27-2007, 09:01 PM
What's the deal with the Giants broadcasting team of Kenward & Wilms. I've listened to some of the games, because of the bush league radio rights, I've been unable to listen to all of the road games. Where is Bill Wilms? Yesterday, they had some guy I've never heard of doing the color with JK & other times it's been Steve Ewen. I thought Wilms did a few games earlier, but I can't remember. Did Wilms retire? Did the Giants not want him back? He's great at breaking down plays & has been a fixture in the DUB forever. Anyone know why he's not doing the road games?

old_time_hockey
10-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Bill has done a few home games (I listen at the game). I think he is commited to do all Shaw broadcasts. No sure what his deal is with the Giants this year. Almost seems like he wants to go half time and only do home games when Shaw doesn't conflict.

But that is just pure speculation on my part.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-27-2007, 11:19 PM
What's the deal with the Giants broadcasting team of Kenward & Wilms. I've listened to some of the games, because of the bush league radio rights, I've been unable to listen to all of the road games. Where is Bill Wilms? Yesterday, they had some guy I've never heard of doing the color with JK & other times it's been Steve Ewen. I thought Wilms did a few games earlier, but I can't remember. Did Wilms retire? Did the Giants not want him back? He's great at breaking down plays & has been a fixture in the DUB forever. Anyone know why he's not doing the road games?

Being that some of the games are being broadcast via the internet only (and some on the BCIT station), I think we're dealing with a cost-cutting measure here.

Giantsfan
10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Sure appears that the Giants are trying to save a little bit of the HUGE profit that they've made over the last few seasons. I don't like it. I think the radio fiasco has been a huge turnoff, as I find it nearly impossible to get any radio air time on the Gmen, except for the few minutes on Monday night that Dan Russell spends talking to Hay. I find myself not as in tune with the latest because you don't get any reports during the day of the daily goings on.

Priceisright
10-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Agreed!!!! What a fiasco is right. I sure hope people have emailed the office. And I am sure lots have. For a supposed first class run operation I now have some doubts about that. Getting the games to the fans easy should be priority. Not having to wonder where or who will be broadcasting the games. :burningma

old_time_hockey
10-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Well I emailed them and asked why this has happened the way it has and what is going on to fix it and got a reply of:

This is not the situation that we want to be in. And we are working hard to try and fix that situation sooner rather than later.

Which leads me to believe that they just aren't going to wait till next season. But I also said that for the home games that fall on Monday - Thursday, I would like to see them have a small FM transmitter in the building so people like me who like to bring their radio to the game can still listen. As well it would eliminate some dead spots in the building. The Casucks had to do that when their new scoreboard blocked outside AM transmittions. They didn't comment on that.

GF71
10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Bill has done a few home games (I listen at the game). I think he is commited to do all Shaw broadcasts. No sure what his deal is with the Giants this year. Almost seems like he wants to go half time and only do home games when Shaw doesn't conflict.

But that is just pure speculation on my part.

Not sure if any of you know or not, Bill has a "day" job for a major Golf Magazine (Golf Digest I think??), where he reviews courses, etc. This takes him away from Vancouver from time to time during the season.

Swando
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Not sure if any of you know or not, Bill has a "day" job for a major Golf Magazine (Golf Digest I think??), where he reviews courses, etc. This takes him away from Vancouver from time to time during the season.

You are correct G71.

rinkrat
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
You are correct G71.

Tough gig for Bill. Golf reporting during the day and hockey announcing at night! pbj

dondo
10-28-2007, 10:51 PM

this is something I did not know.. how odd did he used to play professionally?

Swando
10-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Bill was a skilled hockey player in his younger days. I think he had a scholarship to Denver University or somewhere like that. He taught high school in Delta for a couple of years. I think he coached hockey some in the JrB ranks Has always loved golf and besides being a 0 handicap he does the "province Golf card" and writes for another magazine. Not a bad life in my books.

dondo
10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
not a bad life at all ^ ... do you know Bill personally swando?

I know scrunt has had a few extended chats with him during the training camp days in Ladner -- they both like to hang out behind the net. Seems like not only a good guy, but fairly knowledgeable.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-30-2007, 10:02 PM
He taught high school in Delta for a couple of years.

Indeed he did. He was my PhysEd and Science teacher during grades 8-10.