PDA

View Full Version : Oct 27 2007 Giants 3 Blazers 0

dondo
10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I wonder if Repik reads my recaps :thumb: ? Repik is back in the goal column after five games without. Listened to this one (sort of ) last night and after the first Joey's voice didn't go up much so I missed the specifics. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who watched it on whltv, or was there live.

Oct 27 Giants Snuff Blazers 3-0 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/October_26_GiantsbkSnuffbkBlazers_157.html)

Giants Snuff Blazers
Vancouver 3 Kamloops 0

Don Robinson

The Giants came out to an early start, getting their PP rolling at 3:23 of the opening frame and never looking back. Tyson Sexsmith put together a 25 save shutout, for his third in 15 games. Michal Repik bumped his five game goal-less drought, which saw him add to his point totals but fail to bulge the twine during that time. Tonight’s game was a three pointer for Repik as he notched two goals, one assist and the first star leading his team to victory. It’s interesting to notice that Repik only wears the ‘A’ for home game tilts, so he was letterless tonight and maybe that changed his focus back to where it needs to be. The Giants needed a game like this eking out a few wins, but not convincingly burying a team from start to finish (as they did tonight) recently.

Repik opened the scoring on the PP off of a nice feed from Machacek and wired the puck past Justin Leclerc minding the net for the Blazers. Repik got another one, even strength, 8 minutes later, off of James Wright and Brent Regner. By 15:48 of the first the scoring was done and Repik had another point in his pocket getting a helper on Spencer Machacek’s team leading 11th goal of the season. Mario Bliznak had the other assist on Machacek’s PP marker. The Giants out shot the Blazers 8-5 in the first, but were out shot 9-6 and 11-6 respectively in the second and third periods. The Giants went into defensive mode and it was probably pretty frustrating and I expect boring hockey for the Blazer fans to watch. After 15 minutes of excitement, albeit not necessarily the right kind for the home-town fans, the rest of the game had them watching their team trying to play catch-up against a team that prides itself on preventing shots on their net. The penalties were even at 5 apiece by the end of the game with the Giants going 2 for 5 and holding their opponent to 0 for 5.

The Blazers had an uphill climb to be sure and by the sounds of it Sexsmith wasn’t very busy early on, but made some stellar stops to preserve the goose-egg as the intensity ramped up in the third and the quality of shots on him improved. It was Tyson’s 3rd and now league leading shutout of the season. Shots were 25-20 in favour of the Blazers. Sexsmith earned second star honours for his blank sheet. There were no fisticuffs in what was probably a pretty emotionless game. The Giants head up to Prince George today for a one off game on a Monday, before beginning yet another set of three games in three nights all on the road next Friday that will see them travel to face Tri-City, Spokane and then all the way back for a game on the next night in Chilliwack. The puck drops in PG on Monday Oct 29th at 7:00pm PDT.

Three Stars

1. Michal Repik
2. Tyson Sexsmith
3. Brock Nixon

Swando
10-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I watched it on web-tv and it was both a well anounced and televised game. Loops has different angles to show the game from instead of a one camera shot like so many others.
It was all Giants for the 1st period thanks to their patented skating and forechecking. This caused the 2 penalties that they scored on. Repik from the slot and Machacek from the faced-off circle. Repik's second was a fluke as it trickled in off his butt as he was parked 10' in front.

The Giants looked like a team happy to proctect the lead and from the 2nd period on, Sexsmith was the best player. There was an interview prior to the game where Hay told the Loops announcers that Tyson has been the best Giant player so far this year. One has to agree.
I thot Paluso played a strong game for the second night in a row and Hay rewarded him with valuble time. I think he will be the rookie that makes a break thru this year. In saying that, Henry also looked much better and was very aggressive on the puck. I really wish Bouma and Wright could start finding the net as this would make us a "very" strong team
Giants decided to go with 5 D and use an extra forward. Toigo and Schoulten, and Gervais were healthy scratches. Schira was a rushing machine in the game as he cleared the zone by carrying the puck on several occasions. I think this is Hay's plan. Reich took a puck to the face near the end of the 2nd and did not return as far I know. The announcers mention a trail of blood so I hope it was just stitched and no broken facial bone.
Let's hope their effort in Kamloops will be duplicated in PG.

Talking of PG ,,,I wonder if Ron will fly the boys home as he did last year when he bused up and flew back? A real weird schedule in the next week for sure.

old_time_hockey
10-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Bonner was talking with Joey after the game and said that Reich had a tooth knocked out, but after that pain is over will be ok and could probably be ready for Monday in PG.