PDA

View Full Version : Luke Schenn

Brandonite
10-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Did anyone see the hit that Luke Schenn landed out Kamloops Blazers forward Shayne Wiebe? Apparently Schenn was suspended for the hit and I'm just wondering what everyones intake on the hit was...thats all I have heard and Wiebe is a Brandon kid and obviously Luke's little brother plays for the Wheat Kings...

dagley
10-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Brayden Schenn has been spectacular this year, I said "I hope he's half of what his brother is,"...boy was I surprised.

dagley
10-29-2007, 07:23 AM
10/27/07 Luke Schenn Kelowna Two games for charge major and g.m. at Kamloops on October 26.

Squig
10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
I just watched it a couple of times on replay. No way a suspension is warranted for this hit. Here are some comments from others.

Regan Bartel Wrote

I am still up in arms over a two game suspension handed to Rockets defenseman Luke Schenn for a hit on Kamloops forward Shayne Wiebe Friday night. The two game suspension was excessive to say the least. Schenn clocked the Blazer forward with a solid check in the corner, and was given a 5 minute major and game misconduct for charging. In the worst case scenario Schenn should have been kicked out of the game (I still don't believe it was even worthy of that), but the two game suspension is absurd. If you want to suspend the guy, one game would be a stretch...but two? Ask other GM's around the league if that hit by Schenn was suspendable. I bet you 90 percent would say no. I have a good idea which way Blazers GM Dean Clark would be leaning. Obviously he would think the punishment fits the crime, considering his player was the victim.

Gregg Drinnan Wrote

Took time early Sunday to look at a hit from a Friday night game that resulted in a two-game suspension to Kelowna Rockets D Luke Schenn. It came late in the second period of a game with the Blazers in Kamloops. After the hit on Kamloops LW Shayne Wiebe, Schenn wasn’t immediately penalized by referee Andy Thiessen. After meeting with linesmen Kris Hartley and Nick Swaine, Thiessen gave Schenn a charging major and a game misconduct. Wiebe was on his knees and needed attention from trainer Colin Robinson before skating off. Schenn was suspended for two games; Wiebe, who has a concussion, didn’t play Saturday and is questionable for a rematch in Kelowna on Tuesday. . . . But after watching the play five or six times, I’ve got to wonder why Schenn was (a) penalized and (b) suspended. . . . On the play in question, Wiebe, 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds, is against the boards in a corner in the Kelowna zone. Schenn, 6-foot-2 and 212 pounds, coasts into Wiebe from behind and knocks him into the boards. Wiebe’s head hits the glass. . . . Wiebe, who had his back to Schenn, was not parked three feet from the boards; he was pretty much up against the boards. . . . However, there is no intent to run a guy through the boards. Schenn didn’t run at Wiebe, nor did he launch himself in Steve Downie fashion. . . . If that hit is worth a two-game suspension, you have to wonder where this game is going. . . . One NHL scout who was at the game offered: “That was simply a case of a big guy hitting a smaller guy.” . . . So should the big guy be suspended in such instances?

RebelsFan
10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
I think the league is trying to say that players should let up before hitting another player that could potentially lead to an injury. I agree that it was probably a big guy little guy call and I am very much against that type of call. I am just saying what I think the league is doing. After the Watt hit on Zahn in Saskatoon, Watt was told that he should have let up a bit and not hit Zahn so hard. He didn't elbow or hit from behind, it was just a very hard hit according to the WHL. I think the league wants players to let up a bit and not try to hit so hard. I am against that as the whole reason to "finish a check" is so that the guy with the puck plays the puck quicker next time and potentially makes a passing error. If players don't finish there checks, passers have more time with the puck and we end up with a real European style of game. I still like the old clutch and grab game where guys paid a price to stand in front of the net. Hey, call me old fashioned!