PDA

View Full Version : Bite the Bullet

Rebrevs
10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
As much as it has been somewhat painful to watch the Rebels at home the last little while, I have decided to hunker down for the long haul. Morin has been playing beyond poorly.(trying to be kind) But I think he, along with the rest are going to have to do their time. That seems to be the only way they will improve. I hope the coaching staff and fans can be patient because I don't think the answer to the problem is trading......with perhaps one exception. Could we trade Reimer for a younger but solid defenseman. I don't believe Reimer has proven his worth as the lead man ahead of Clarke. Yet I believe he could play well in front of a more experienced defensive corp and thus would be a good trade offer. Just a thought. I also wondered how this years team compares to the Rebels team back when Joel Stepp, Boyd Gordon and those boys were all sixteen year olds. I know they had to take it on the chin a few times that year. I've been told that those kids had a more experieced defense behind them so it is hard to compare. In any case, I'm going to give this team a couple of more months, then I'm hoping to see the beginnings of some confidence. Just some thoughts.

SectionNDeserter
10-28-2007, 06:29 PM
As much as it has been somewhat painful to watch the Rebels at home the last little while, I have decided to hunker down for the long haul. Morin has been playing beyond poorly.(trying to be kind) But I think he, along with the rest are going to have to do their time.That guy really needs to get his head in the game, and soon. I have no problem watching rookies play like rookies, but not second year players. I say give some of the young guys more ice time until this guy decides that he wants to play hockey again.

I don't think the answer to the problem is trading......with perhaps one exception. Could we trade Reimer for a younger but solid defenseman. I don't believe Reimer has proven his worth as the lead man ahead of Clarke. Yet I believe he could play well in front of a more experienced defensive corp and thus would be a good trade offer. Just a thought.That one is a toughie. It has been hard to not notice how much better the team as a whole has played in front of Clarke, than it has in front of Reimer--They really seem to have no problem hanging Reimer out to dry for some reason. If they do trade Reimer, I would expect to get a top young defensive prospect in return. The flipside of that is that it would be really nice to have an experienced, NHL-drafted overage goaltender next season when the team is stronger and more experienced. It is also time for them to find Egener a new home. They are a rebuilding young team, and Egener has always been an average defenseman at the best of times-with a few exciting mistakes per game thrown in. As the current roster sits, he is easily the odd overage player out next season(and there will be easily 10 or so extra overage players that are better than him that will be made expendable from other teams as well), and really all he is doing for the younger players is chewing up ice time they could be benefiting from, and showing them how to pass the puck to the other team. So I say get rid of him now while you can get something for him.

I also wondered how this years team compares to the Rebels team back when Joel Stepp, Boyd Gordon and those boys were all sixteen year olds. I know they had to take it on the chin a few times that year. I've been told that those kids had a more experieced defense behind them so it is hard to compare. In any case, I'm going to give this team a couple of more months, then I'm hoping to see the beginnings of some confidence. Just some thoughts.Our young defensemen are ok, but they are either mobile, and capable of generating offense, or reasonably sound defensively, with one always coming at the expense of the other. Barring Kot having an immense growth spurt, I don't really see any of our current defensemen being drafted in the NHL entry draft. THAT is the biggest difference between our current rebuilding team, and that great one back in the days of Stepp/Gordon, the lack of a potential game-breaking defensive prospect.

bennyboots
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Does anyone think that Sutter made a good move the last period against canes by playing Kot more?? Up until Louis showed up Kot was on the first 2 lines and led the team in scoring. Louis gets there Kot is on third line and team has struggled since. Louis, Morin, Egener and Scarborough are not great skaters and are getting beat when rushed upon. I listened to game on radio and there was more pressure put on by the Rebels because lines were switched up. I know size on D is important but these D pairings have not been working. Offense is clicking but these so called older D men have had chance to show up ........ no shows........its time for the young to shine!!!!

Philz
10-30-2007, 01:29 PM
There is no was that Morin should still be up here. He is not skilled enough to play at this level. There are way to many mistakes made by him...Edgner is another skater who should be looked at for trade bait. A real disapointing season so far from those two..

SectionNDeserter
10-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Louis, Morin, Egener and Scarborough are not great skaters and are getting beat when rushed upon.Morin and Egener are actually pretty decent skaters, and Scarborough is ok for his size. Louis is an average skater, which is ok as long as you don't get too far out of position (which he hasn't done a lot of so far). Morin moves pretty good with the puck, and knows where to shoot the puck on a powerplay, but his difficulties have been in the corners and on the end boards (especially behind his own net) in his own end, and to a lesser extent checking players near his own blueline when they have the puck. Egener is a little better covering his man when they cross the blueline with the puck, but shares Morin's difficulties in the corners and end boards, and generally just shoots the puck into defender's legs on the power play.

As the defense currently sits, Kot is clearly the future of the blueline on this team. That being said, I think it will undergo some changes in the next few months.

rebelfan
10-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Could we trade Reimer for a younger but solid defenseman. I don't believe Reimer has proven his worth as the lead man ahead of Clarke. Yet I believe he could play well in front of a more experienced defensive corp and thus would be a good trade offer. Just a thought. .

Funny how Reimer gets left out to dry and if you check his stats, most of his goals against are PPgoals, a number of them 5on3PP goals, yet he's been outplayed by his backup? Really? When was the last time you checked on their stats respectively? I remember last year I think it was Jordan Henry who said Reimer gave them confidence because they could pinch more knowing Reimer was back there defending. With Clarke the team knows they have to stay close to home & play safe. Isn't that what happened in the Lethbridge game? Morin(?) pinched and Lethbridge got a skater past him then another skater streaked down and Reimer was suddenly facing a 2on0. Only this year when a young team pinches they allow holes to open up and can't get back in time to help Reimer out. Playing Clarke or Reimer hasn't seemed to impact the win column, mostly because it isn't a goaltender issue....Our goaltenders would have had to pretty much have consistent shutouts in order for the Rebels to win this season so far. Reimer has been given sporadic starts with no show of confidence. Look at Irving, Armstrong, Lazuruk, all 19 year old starters who have struggled but whos coaches have stuck with them instead of playing cat and mouse with the starter/backup. Reimer gets pulled allowing 3 goals in the first period. Historically how many games has Reimer ever allowed more than 3 goals in a game...let me tell you it's few. If he's allowed 3 early on, he will generally hunker down and shut the gates...if the coach lets him stay. Brian, nice guy that he is seems to coach like he talks, all over the map. There is little rhyme or reason to the lines or goaltenders he plays. Seriously I think you might be right about the trade part. I wonder if they have played Clarke as much as they have to see if he can handle the load for the Rebels so they can use Reimer for bait to get a good D. As much as there is talk that this is a developement league for payers and that players are traded for their own developement, in the end these kids are still only a piece of meat sometimes mashed to uselessness and spit out and sometimes they get lucky...but it seems the casualties are too high with kids who are broken instead of developed. I'd say let the kids play hockey and let's look a little more at the scouts & coaches and management of this team. I think that is where the real problem lies.

Shinyshoes
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd say let the kids play hockey and let's look a little more at the scouts & coaches and management of this team. I think that is where the real problem lies.I dont think there is a "Problem". Junior hockey runs in cycles, and we are nearing the end of our "low years". We are an EXTREMELY young team, yet we are only loosing games by 1 Goal.

Imagine this team next season. Without any trades, we would lose Bauer, Watt, and Louis to Age. Reimer, Egener, Doucet and Wray are our 19's (turning 20) so we would also lose one of them, likely Reimer Turning pro.

Theoretically, we would only have 4 new faces on the team next season, including a backup goaltender. Give every other player on this team one more year of experience, learning and growing-up, and then think how many of those 1 goal losses will turn into 1 goal wins, or at the very least, ties.

Like Rebrevs said, "Bite the bullet". I think comparing this team to the young Gordon, Stepp et all team bang on. SND said we lack the game breaking defencive prospect, however I think this team will develop into a greater offencive threat than we had in those years IF they are given the proper amount of ice time to develop properly, like we did with Stepp & Gordon. Maybe that opens the door for trading for that defencive stud at the trade deadline, rather than a Martin Erat.

Just My $0.02

SectionNDeserter
10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
likely Reimer Turning pro.I can't imagine with the number of NHL-ready goaltenders in the Leafs system that Reimer wouldn't return to junior next season, that is barring a trade of him or Pogge between now and then. As of right now Reimer probably has the most value that he is ever going to have, if they were going to trade him--just because the odds are working against him going pro next season. That being said, if we couldn't get a highly-touted young defenseman for him, I would much rather hang on to him for next season.

RebelsFan
10-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Looks like changes are being made starting already. Could be in for an interesting couple of weeks. Scoring punch being brought in and a little insurance on the very back end.

RebelsFan
10-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Well maybe not that much scoring punch. 14 goals 28 assists last year but should be a good addition.

Rebel66
11-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Well maybe not that much scoring punch. 14 goals 28 assists last year but should be a good addition.

I'll bite. Who are we talking about?

snapshot
11-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Scoring punch being brought in and a little insurance on the very back end. What do u mean by very back end?

RebelsFan
11-01-2007, 07:58 AM
We traded a forward for a forward and a goalie (probably a list goalie for now) but I won't say names until I see it on the internet some where.

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
He was acquired 12 to 15 games ago, but Bauer had 24 goals and 28 assists last season, maybe he meant him?

RebelsFan
11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Not Bauer. I see RaiderFan17 mentioning a trade this morning as well over on the PA site so there is word from the PA end as well. UPDATE. Trade may not happen.

hockey4
11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Funny how Reimer gets left out to dry and if you check his stats, most of his goals against are PPgoals, a number of them 5on3PP goals, yet he's been outplayed by his backup? Really? When was the last time you checked on their stats respectively? I remember last year I think it was Jordan Henry who said Reimer gave them confidence because they could pinch more knowing Reimer was back there defending. With Clarke the team knows they have to stay close to home & play safe. Isn't that what happened in the Lethbridge game? Morin(?) pinched and Lethbridge got a skater past him then another skater streaked down and Reimer was suddenly facing a 2on0. Only this year when a young team pinches they allow holes to open up and can't get back in time to help Reimer out. Playing Clarke or Reimer hasn't seemed to impact the win column, mostly because it isn't a goaltender issue....Our goaltenders would have had to pretty much have consistent shutouts in order for the Rebels to win this season so far. Reimer has been given sporadic starts with no show of confidence. Look at Irving, Armstrong, Lazuruk, all 19 year old starters who have struggled but whos coaches have stuck with them instead of playing cat and mouse with the starter/backup. Reimer gets pulled allowing 3 goals in the first period. Historically how many games has Reimer ever allowed more than 3 goals in a game...let me tell you it's few. If he's allowed 3 early on, he will generally hunker down and shut the gates...if the coach lets him stay. Brian, nice guy that he is seems to coach like he talks, all over the map. There is little rhyme or reason to the lines or goaltenders he plays. Seriously I think you might be right about the trade part. I wonder if they have played Clarke as much as they have to see if he can handle the load for the Rebels so they can use Reimer for bait to get a good D. As much as there is talk that this is a developement league for payers and that players are traded for their own developement, in the end these kids are still only a piece of meat sometimes mashed to uselessness and spit out and sometimes they get lucky...but it seems the casualties are too high with kids who are broken instead of developed. I'd say let the kids play hockey and let's look a little more at the scouts & coaches and management of this team. I think that is where the real problem lies.

If you ask me, Reimer has deserved everything he's been handed. Both goalies have let in weak goals every time they play. the game against Kamloops was an example of how the rebels storm out of the gate, then watch kamloops go down and score on a bad angle on there first shot, and i think we all remember how bad that game was after that. Reimer and Clarke have played at the same level which is much more concerning for Reimer and the Rebels seeing he is 2 years older. In my opinion there are no excuses for him as he has had every opportunity last year and this year to prove he is a the #1 guy and this year i believe he has thrown his "starter" status out the door. maybe we'll move him and get a solid 17-18 year old good for 2-3 more years. Mainly because i see little change from when clarke and reimer have started.

tiny
11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Just a few comments about the trade talk.

Reimer?? You really need a first string and a strong back up in the WHL because you never know when you will need the second tender. Who would the Rebels have for a number two if Reimer was traded? Wow what a dangerous situation. Perhaps some of the "weak" goals are from a lack of goaltending confidence in the people in front of him??

Getting a top notch D-man... there is a tremendous competition for a top notch D-man and we would have to pay very, very dearly.

Weak D this year. Yes they have made several mistakes that frustrated me a great deal but looking back many of the pinches were not properly covered by the forwards either. Rookie mistakes on both parts??

I do have a problem with Stebner not getting any D time.

I do think there will be another trade soon but it will be at the expense of a forward.

Brent Sutter had a meeting with his players at a recent practice and told them to SHOOT more and AT THE NET. It seemed to work in their last game. Maybe Brian should hold another meeting too. LOL

Rebrevs and Shiney, I, too, am willing to give it time because we have seen it pay off before. There is always time later to bale and pick up good futures if it looks like the best way to go.

ANOTHER SIX GAME ROAD TRIP?? A lonely November in RD country.

RDRebelsfan
11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Not Bauer. I see RaiderFan17 mentioning a trade this morning as well over on the PA site so there is word from the PA end as well. UPDATE. Trade may not happen.

Bernhardt.

rdreb
11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Lynch played forward the first year he was in Red Deer.

SectionNDeserter
11-02-2007, 06:38 AM
JWeak D this year. Yes they have made several mistakes that frustrated me a great deal but looking back many of the pinches were not properly covered by the forwards either. Rookie mistakes on both parts??There has actually been next to none of them pinching (it will come in time, as they get more poise and confidence), much less the forwards not covering them on that rare happening. The rookie mistakes I have been watching from the blueliners (including a few of the veterans) all occur in their own end as turnovers and board battles lost like the defenseman isn't even there, as well as their patented 'panicked-ring-the-puck-around-the-boards-behind-their-own-net-to-the-other-team' play.

While it is true that Doug Lynch played as a forward in his first season with the Rebels, Doug didn't have someone like Egener clearly wasting a spot on the blueline/roster back then. Stebner has looked somewhat awkward and lumbering out there, but the kid has got some very good defensive and offensive instincts, and has surprised a few defenders passing the puck around in their own zone already.

Tinner
11-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I think one of the biggest problems on defence is the inability or the lack of skill to learn the defensive system that the Rebels incorperate. Too many times, players are watching and not moving their feet and it almost looks like they are not sure where to go or what to do. That said, not knowing what your own player is going to do or do with the puck when he gets it adds to to confusion. If the players can't learn or play the system you want them to play, then as a coach, you devise a system they can play.

All of these kids have played top level hockey as they have grown up though their minor hockey systems and have had success, so devising offensive/defensive systems they can play shouldn't be a problem, its finding one that works. Maturity, skill level, experience, size and skating ability are all the things that come into play.

Sometimes all it takes is a minor tweak, such as a system change, change of defensive partners to even a trade that makes the pieces fall together. Brian has been positive in his answers and has made it clear that its in the defensive zone where we are having trouble. Having too many of one type of player, that cant play our system, is what I think is part of the problem.

As we have all said in the past, a skilled, fast skating D man and another high end forward is on the wish list, the question is finding them and what are you willing to pay to get them. Again, do you make it happen now or wait until next year knowing we should be better, bigger and more experienced.

rebelfan
11-02-2007, 08:40 AM
We traded a forward for a forward and a goalie (probably a list goalie for now) but I won't say names until I see it on the internet some where.

This deal fell through. No show, no go.

snapshot
11-03-2007, 09:06 AM
This deal fell through. No show, no go.
Are you referring to Betts? Regarding the D, I think it needs a little tuning up as in Everett game. Lewis/Kot, Scarborough/Egner, Jackson/Weller. I think we need to split up Scarborough/Egner, because all of the other teams are...long pass down the middle leading to a goal in the last game and other games. Either they are playing too far apart, or not reading the play or simply are too slow, doesn't matter you don't get beat like that. If they are going to play, just put them with someone else. +- yikes. Put Morin/Egner, leaves Jackson/Scarborough or the other option. Morin/Scarborough and Jackson/Egner. Throw Weller in there to give Morin a break so he can play forward, if that's what they want. As dman, Jackson needs to learn to move the puck more as opposed to skating with the puck and taking the passing angles away and forcing it. He passes the puck when he has to pass the puck, when he has no other option rather than head manning the puck. You even see it on powerplay, he only passes when he has to and when he does the other players have to scramble to set something up or they are forced to turn it back over to Jackson and he tries to force a shot. Needs to make more cross ice passes to D partner instead of skating with the puck. Skating with puck, slows the play down and causes forced passes. More team play instead of individual effort. At the same time, the rest of team is obligated to keep skating to the open ice and give passing angles to the puck carrier. Overall, it is easier to create passing angles by skating without the puck to the open ice versus trying to carry the puck to open ice and creating passing angles.

JustMe
11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
"As dman, Jackson needs to learn to move the puck more as opposed to skating with the puck and taking the passing angles away and forcing it. He passes the puck when he has to pass the puck, when he has no other option rather than head manning the puck. You even see it on powerplay, he only passes when he has to and when he does the other players have to scramble to set something up or they are forced to turn it back over to Jackson and he tries to force a shot. Needs to make more cross ice passes to D partner instead of skating with the puck. Skating with puck, slows the play down and causes forced passes. More team play instead of individual effort. At the same time, the rest of team is obligated to keep skating to the open ice and give passing angles to the puck carrier. Overall, it is easier to create passing angles by skating without the puck to the open ice versus trying to carry the puck to open ice and creating passing angles."

Cannot agree more!!!!! applause