PDA

View Full Version : CHL Taking Notice

Scout
10-31-2007, 09:34 PM
The CHL Insider came out today and they are taking notice of your Broncos. Two Broncos were mentioned in this weeks edition. A feature was done on D-man Michael Wilson and another was a mention of Bronco captain Zach Smith:

Zack Smith

Swift Current Broncos -- Smith has tallied a goal and seven assists for eight points in his last four games to help the Broncos to a 3-1 record in that span as they climbed into a tie for top spot in the East Division. Smith, a 19-year-old native of Maple Creek, SK, has been held off the score sheet in only three of the 17 games he’s played this season, and currently sits among the top 10 in the WHL scoring race. Click here for WHL scoring leaders.© Canadian Hockey League 2007

Scout
10-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Wilson, Broncos Come Out Of The Gate Bucking

By Jesse Watts
whl.ca

The Swift Current Broncos have gotten off to a strong start to the 2007-08 Western Hockey League season, winning 10 of their first 16 contests to keep them at or near the top of the East Division standings through the first six weeks of the campaign.

One of the big reasons for the Broncos’ success has been the play of 20-year-old veteran defenseman Michael Wilson.

The overage rearguard from North Vancouver, B.C., is in his third season with the Broncos, having joined the team mid way through the 2005-06 season, and has become not only a top offensive threat from the blue line, but a strong and steady presence on the defensive side as well.

“I think I’ve played pretty well, so far,” said Wilson, who has scored only once but leads all WHL defensemen with 17 assists this season. “I’ve been given a big opportunity to play in all situations – on the power play and penalty kill – and I’m hoping I can keep taking advantage of it and play like this throughout the whole season.”

As one of the veteran players on the team, the 6’ 1” 160-lb rearguard has also assumed a larger role when it comes to providing leadership for some of the young and upcoming players on the Broncos. The added responsibility is something Wilson embraces.

“I came in to this season knowing I’d be one of the oldest guys,” said Wilson. “It’s part of my job to help out the younger guys and be a leader. I have to help get the team on track when things aren’t going the way they should, and also keep guys on an even keel when things are working for us.”

So far, Wilson hasn’t had to work too hard to keep the Broncos’ ship on course. Aside from a three-game slide last week, the Broncos have been consistent in putting notches in the win column. They have scored more goals than any other team in the League so far, while keeping their goals-against down to a reasonable level.

In his first two seasons in Swift Current, the Broncos struggled with sub-.500 records. While they made the playoff in both years, they were quickly sent packing by their first-round opponents.

With several key acquisitions coupled with the further development of some of their young talent, Wilson is confident this year’s edition of the Broncos has what it takes to keep their winning ways going throughout the season.

“The team has come together pretty well, so far,” he said. “We made some big trades early in the year. Getting guys like (Erik) Felde and (Keegan) Dansereau has been huge for us. I think our 16-year-old Cody Eakin has been very good this year, and most times he’s been one of the best players on the ice.

“Our defense has been stepping it up with guys like Derek Claffey, Eric Doyle and Ryan Molle all having really good starts.

“(Travis Yonkman) has played really well, too, and it’s tough for a guy like that to step out after playing behind a guy like Kyle Moir for so long. Our back-up, Ian Curtis, has been very good as well,” said Wilson.

As good as the Broncos’ start has been, several other East Division teams have also stepped up to enjoy early success as well. In a division where only two teams finished with above-.500 records last season, there are currently four teams in the six-team grouping with record over .500.

The Regina Pats, who currently pace the division, were pegged as one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference this season, the Wheat Kings – last season’s division champs – have remained very competitive, and the Moose Jaw Warriors have bounced back from a tough start to the season and have steadily climbed the division standings.

Wilson knows that, as strong as the Broncos are this season, there will be no easy wins at the expense of their division opponents.

“Regina started off well and they’ve kept it going,” said Wilson. “Moose Jaw has gone on a tear recently and has proven to be a tough team, while Brandon is always in it.

“It won’t be easy,” he added.

© Canadian Hockey League 2007

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Bronco's still not ranked in the TOP TEN again this week, but this might be a good thing.