PDA

View Full Version : vs the BLAZERS

WestLEAFfan
11-02-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102402&Itemid=564

Cats off to Blazerville
(Sports) Friday, 02 November 2007, 02:23 PST
TED CLARKE Citizen staff
Two teams whose WHL fortunes have turned in opposite directions will meet on the ice tonight in Kamloops.

The Prince George Cougars (7-9-0-0) are coming off their biggest win of the season -- a 3-0 shutout of the Vancouver Giants -- having won six of their last eight games.

The Kamloops Blazers (6-8-1-0), on the other hand, are on a two-game losing skid, having slipped one point below the Cougars in the Western Conference standings.

Something’s gotta give, and the Cougars are in no mood to see a return to their early-season funk.

“I think we’re going to see a desperate hockey team,” said Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck.

“They’ve dropped two in a row and they’re going to look to get themselves back on track with a good effort against us. For our part, it’s always a big game when we play Kamloops, our major rival, and we want to make sure we go in there ready to go.

“For this team to have success, whether it’s at home or on the road, we have to bring our work ethic and we have to make sure that doesn’t lack. On Monday night, we worked really hard and managed to stay out of the penalty box and combined, it was a solid effort for our guys.”

Schoneck plans to start Tommy Tartaglione in goal. The 19-year-old from Harbor City. Calif.,registered his first shutout of the season on Monday, stopping 31 Vancouver shots.

“Tommy certainly deserves it,” said Schoneck. “He came in and played very well against the Giants.”

The Cougars will be without injured defenceman Trevor Bauer (charleyhorse), but he could be back to face the Red Deer Rebels on Sunday afternoon (2 p.m.) at CN Centre.

Forward Dale Hunt (broken hand) and centre Evan Fuller (groin) are still day-to-day.

“I think the guys worked very hard this week in practice,” Schoneck said.

“It’s nice when you can win two of three on the weekend to get feeling good about yourselves but we have to make sure we’re not patting ourselves too hard on the back when we got to Kamloops.”

puckmam
11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Should be a great game but with our first HUGE dump of snow today and crazy roads ...

WestLEAFfan
11-03-2007, 12:33 AM
8 - 3! Where did all that offence come from? I think things have officially turned around...for the better. yeehoo

sbtatter
11-03-2007, 09:13 AM
8 - 3! Where did all that offence come from? I think things have officially turned around...for the better. yeehoo
Ever since you won in Bdn you've been on a roll!! How much fun is it to support a team as they turn things around??!!

WestLEAFfan
11-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm guardedly optomistic! Afterall, they only beat a struggling team last night, but a win is a win, we'll take it. Now if CYR can get back to his winning ways all will be well in COUGARville.

habsfan12
11-03-2007, 11:42 AM
that is exactly right!! ON A ROLL!! that is awesome, now with 2 players in the top 10 scoring race in the league. that's great.. It would be so Good if Cyrsie got back into the winning streak!! KEEP IT UP!

Sput
11-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Honestly haven't had much chance to listen to the out of town games as I've been busy with my son's team lately.....but.....Way to go Cougs!!

Now with the OT win against Red Deer, the Cats seem like they are on a good roll. Hopefully they don't get to over confidant and throw up a turkey like so many teams do once they start to play well.

I know the mst of you are Cyr fans, and I like the guy too don't get me wrong, but he doesn't seem to be able to mentally stay focused if he knows he has the starter job. He didn't play well at all last season until Bowles came back, Just like he hasn't played well so far this season.I don't think its his game play as much as the mental readiness he needs to have at this stage of the game. Tommy has certainly earned his starts, and has put the numbers up for the most part. When Real gets the nod to start next time, he HAS to be ready to make the most of the chance.

WestLEAFfan
11-06-2007, 07:21 AM
If I know CYR as well as I think I do, let me tell you focus is not as much of an issue as you think. I still believe that his confidence is a little down., After the horrible start he and the team had, that can't help but play on his mind. Especially after an early goal he'd like to have back. He'll be in the top of the WHL goalies by season's end. Just wait and see. applause

TwoBits
11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I know the mst of you are Cyr fans, and I like the guy too don't get me wrong, but he doesn't seem to be able to mentally stay focused if he knows he has the starter job. He didn't play well at all last season until Bowles came back, Just like he hasn't played well so far this season.I don't think its his game play as much as the mental readiness he needs to have at this stage of the game. Tommy has certainly earned his starts, and has put the numbers up for the most part. When Real gets the nod to start next time, he HAS to be ready to make the most of the chance.

Isn't the Goalie Psyche a fascinating thing?

Maybe this is just an issue of semantics but I agree with WestLeaf and don't think it's a matter of focus and more of a confidence issue.

Believe me, I sit and wonder a lot about what may be the issue and this is what I wonder.....

1) Did the team put too large of a load on his shoulders at the beginning of the season? What would be going through your mind if you were told "You're it, the success of this team depends on you"

2) Is Real too nice? He is famous for getting along with his fellow netminders. It doesn't seem to be any different with Tommy. Maybe if he hated the guy, he'd put his energy into keeping him from playing. (But from what I've heard, it's impossible not to like Tommy)

3) Do we need to look a little deeper than the scoreboard? How many of the goals that Real let in can be considered "soft" and how many are actually rated at a higher difficulty. How many are shorthanded? How many were due to give-aways by his own team mates in their own end? etc. etc. etc.

4) Does the team play differently in front of different goalies? Tommy can be considered a bit of a loose cannon, does the team play more defensively in front of him?

All I know is..... I couldn't do it. The thought of dealing with the pressure and stress that come along with the position, not to mention the mental focus needed to be a goalie leaves me quaking in my boots. It takes a lot of character to play this position and it's not for the weak-of-heart. Somehow it doesn't seem to matter how crappy the team plays, it always comes down to the goalie in the end.

I wish the continued success of the team and if that means Tommy playing, so be it. I actually hope Tommy continues to do well, so when it does come time for Cyrsie to return between the posts, he'll be good and hungry.

That's my two-bits. Don't shoot me Cyr Fans. :dead: :laugh: