PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Honored

Scout
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Nelson honored to skate with Team Western Hockey League
The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos 19-year-old forward Levi Nelson was named last week to the Team WHL roster that will compete in the 2007 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge.
Nelson, who recently returned to action after missing four games with a knee injury, has registered six goals and six assists in 12 games this season.
Nelson was the Broncos leading scorer last season with 52 points in 66 games. Nelson’s scoring prowess continued in the playoffs when he tallied seven points in the Broncos six playoff games against the Regina Pats.
“It is pretty exciting, not a lot of kids get an opportunity to play for Team WHL,” said Nelson. “It is an honor to be picked and play the game in Medicine Hat on the 29th. It is going to be quite the game and some good exposure for me. I have worked hard and I think that I deserve a shot at it. I will just go out there and have fun and play with the passion that I have.”
Nelson explained that he was caught off guard last Wednesday night when he found out that he had been named to the team.
“I kind of came as a surprise to me. It is a pretty funny story actually, the game before Regina Dean called me in his room. I’m sitting out and I didn’t know what to expect. He passed me the phone said to scroll down. So I kind of got to read it myself. Right away I phoned my Dad and my family back home and they are pretty excited and they will be rooting for me.”
Nelson, who’s style of play often gets under the skin of opposing players, admits that it will be an interesting experience to suit up with so many players who have been his adversaries over the years.
“It is going to be unreal suiting up with those guys that you play against. There are a lot of great hockey players on that team. Just getting a chance to be in the same dressing room as them and seeing how they play and prepare and get focused will be pretty exciting. I am sure there are going to be a few good stories to talk about in that dressing room.”
The ADT Canada Russia Challenge will take place November 19th to 29th, 2007 in Canada as Canadian Hockey League All-Star Teams, from each of its three member Leagues (WHL, OHL and QMJHL), take on the Russian National Junior Team in a six game series. Team WHL was selected by a committee of WHL General Managers along with Al Murray, Hockey Canada's Head Scout for the Canadian National Junior Team, as part of the selection process for the 2008 World Junior Hockey Championships.
The two WHL games will be hosted by the Kootenay Ice in Cranbrook, B.C. on Wednesday, November 28th and the Medicine Hat Tigers on Thursday, November 29th.
Curtis Hunt (Regina Pats) will lead Team WHL as Head Coach. Don Hay (Vancouver Giants) and Wil Desjardins (Medicine Hat Tigers) will serve as Assistant Coaches.
Last year the CHL won all six games of the series and Team Canada would later go on to defeat Russia and win the Gold Medal at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championships. The CHL has won the past four ADT Canada Russia Challenges and Team Canada has defeated Russia to win the Gold Medal in the past three World Junior Championships.
Tickets for the November 29th game in Medicine Hat went on sale for the general public on Monday, October 29th by phone at (403) 527-8406. Ticket prices are Adult $20, Youth $16 and Child $12. Quantities are limited so get your tickets early.
Game 2 - Medicine Hat., Nov. 29th
Forwards: Brennan Bosch, Medicine Hat Tigers Martensville, SK; Jordan Eberle, Regina Pats, Regina; Tyler Ennis, Medicine Hat Tigers, Edmonton; Mitch Fadden, Lethbridge Hurricanes, Salmon Arm, BC; Colton Gillies, Saskatoon Blades, Surrey, BC; Bud Holloway, Seattle Thunderbirds, Wapella, SK; Riley Holzapfel, Moose Jaw Warriors, Regina; Justin McCrae, Saskatoon Blades, Cochrane, AB; Levi Nelson, Swift Curren Calgary; Matt Robertson, Prince Albert Raiders; Prince Albert; Brandon Sutter, Red Deer Rebels, Red Deer; Ryan White, Calgary Hitmen, Brandon.
Defence: Karl Alzner, Calgary Hitmen, Burnaby, BC; Keaton Ellerby, Kamloops Blazers, Calgary; Logan Pyett, Regina Pats, Balgonie, SK; Nick Ross, Regina Pats, Lethbridge, AB; Colton Teubert, Regina Pats, White Rock, BC; Ben Wright, Lethbridge Hurricanes, Foremost, AB.
Goaltenders: Leland Irving, Everett Silvertips, Swan Hills, AB; Tyson Sexsmith,Vancouver Giants, Priddis, AB.