PDA

View Full Version : Blades play by play guy

hobster
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
The Blades have there color comentator doing the game tonight and man oh man does he ever suck. It is so hard too understand his guy he has allready lost his phone connection twice. Les Lazaruk hurry up and get back we need you lol.

Jaybird
11-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I thought he did a good job. If I remember correctly I think he used to to the commentating with Les....I may be wrong though. One think I did notice was that on both nights he was very positive about the players and I feel Les has been lacking that lately. I guess the road trip to the states was a long one but it is important to keep a positive spin on things.

hobster
11-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Yes he's the color comentator with Les,Les was away this weekend doing the Saskatoon hilltops football game in Winterpeg, and i might the Hilltops won the championship. I just found Dave Thomas very hard too follow and he lost his dial up connection to the game a couple times you can't be doing that sort of thing.

TheSnowman
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I like when the announcers tell it like it is, as opposed to going out of their way to be a homer. You have to be a bit homer-ish to be a good PBP guy or else the excitement level just isn't there. But when every comment is "what a brutal call" or "things are looking up in (City Name here)" when your team is crapping the bed at 8-20, it just doesn't make sense.

Haven't listened to Les this year but Drew Wilson and Rod Pedersen both cross that line a bit too much for my taste.

bladesvoice
11-05-2007, 01:19 PM
First off, let me say that I think Dave Thomas did an outstanding job of P-B-P on the weekend. Not only had he not done a P-B-P hockey game in a year (kinda like a quarterback coming in cold off the bench!), but he had to do the games on the weekend on his own on the road. If I didn't have the confidence in him to do a good job, I'd be looking elsewhere. Besides that, when I am in my theatre production next week, Dave will do three games in three nights...and will do a very good job, again, I'm sure!
Hobster, losing the phone connection isn't necessarily the P-B-P guys' fault...and, on Sunday, the connection was cut back at the main studio on at least two occasions. It's a bit of a helpless feeling when you think you're on the air and, all of a sudden, you hear a fast busy signal in your headphones!
Actually Snowman, I don't think you have to be a homer at all in order to make a game souns exciting. The best guys in our biz, to my way of thinking, are Jim Hughson on Hockey Night in Canada and Chris Cuthbert on T-S-N. They call the play straight up, no favoritism, and they have me on the edge of my seats for quite a bit of the time. I learn a lot, even today after many years of doing this job, from those two gentlemen!
And, Jaybird, my deal when calling P-B-P of the Blades is to try and be honest. Nothing would thrill me more than to call a championship-calibre team (if allowed, I would do this job until that championship happened!) with the Blades...but I'm not going to blow smoke up their backsides when they aren't playing well. I'm fortunate that the Blades want it that way, unlike some other teams who want their broadcasters to be "homers"! When the Blades play well, I'll say so. When they don't play well, I'll say so. I believe (and hope) that I have the respect of enough people around the team to be critical when it is deserved! Unfortunately, that has been the case more often than not to this point of the season!

Cheers,
Les

hobster
11-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Well first of all thanx for getting back so quick Les it's greatly apreciated...... I just wanted too voice my opinion that i thought Dave was hard too follow at times, and your right he hasn't done a game in a year and he did a way better job on sunday night over saturday so it's just getting back into the swing of things for him. I just prefer your play by play over Daves thats all, i do have too say Dave's goal celebrations are pretty sweet though.

WestLEAFfan
11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Bladesvoice, you are one of the best in the WHL, hands down! applause

Tidball
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I think that you are the best play by play guy in the league. 2nd going to the Med Hat guy. Both you 2 always make the game exciting. It feels like im actually watching it because you guys go far into detail as to who has the puck and where. Keep up the good work.

Blades 4 Life!
11-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I thought he did a good job. I listened to the game and quite frankly I liked his enthusiasm on goals.