PDA

View Full Version : Sigh

smackitsakic
03-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Oh dear, where do i begin?
I was pumped about the game tonight. After our last Bronco appearance in Moose Jaw, we had stirred up a lot of noise in their rink and the boys i'm sure appreciated it. Tonight, i was looking forward to getting back in our barn to stir up some noise. I thought for sure we'd be supported in our attempts to get the boys fired up. We tried, and tried to get GO BRONCO GO chants going but failed dismally. There were about 8 of us sitting together, and by the end of the chant, there were about 10 people total. What the heck are you people going to the games for??? Geez, BroncsinRD we sure needed you tonight b/c the barn was nothing to write home about.
What is it that is causing the fans to be so borking and lackluster? I wish I had an answer. Maybe the small community is just too much for a WHL team to handle. If you can't make some noise, even with beer in the stands, then how do you expect to survive? Sponsors are only going to give money where there are people, and there aren't going to be people if the atmosphere doesn't improve sometime in the near future. We gotta get the average age in the barn down by about 10 years. The oldest Tiger fans i saw couldn't have been above 45, and even they all had their faces painted and were sporting retro jerseys, or wait, those are the current Tigers jerseys. I can never tell, they look like their from the 70's, or wait, they are from the 70's. Get new jerseys already!
As for the game. Well, we locked up our 17th shutout of the season tonight. Yes, we've put 17 shutouts on the scoreboard this year, impressive indeed. We can only blame bouncing pucks and bad breaks for so long. Somebody has to step up. We played good in the first, real good, good enough to have a chance to do something with the game. It seemed that we were satisfied that we could hold on to the Tigers for 20 minutes, and then quit caring.
What the heck are you doing giving a 20 year old a gross misconduct penalty in the second last game of his career? Horman should have dropped his gloves and went after the ref for that one. Is a gross not an automatiac one game suspension? The league better lift that one. I didn't see what happened, i don't care what happened. Nobody got carried off on a stretcher, nobody needed Kleenex to wipe their tears, what's the gross for? It's bad enough that you booted him from the game so he couldn't even go get his first star, but boot him out of tomorrows game too? Class act ref.
Schulz, buddy. All these years i've been bugging you about fighting - I understand what the problem is. These two had bad blood from the last game when Dorsett hit Schulz in the corner, where Schulz should have hit Dorsett. I made a post on that I believe. Don't drop your gloves when the guys back is turned to you and is skating away from you. Fight fair, especially when he is smaller than you. BUT, with that said, you did drop your mitts tonight and you deserve credit for that so a job well done. Just, next year, try to avoid the double minor to go alone with the 5 and the 10. The second fight you kinda got the getting jumped favour returned to you, but again, I give ya credit for laying the gloves on the ice and hanging on. Fighting isn't the easiest thing to do in hockey, especially when you're a rookie at it. How's the head feeling? Dorsett sure rammed it into the glass good and proper. Here is the thing...if you're gonna fight, you gotta believe that you're going to own the guy. You can't be timid. Be the attacker, not the attackee. Oh, and one more thing...face the guy when you fight, don't turn your back to him. It cracked me up - sure was an interesting scrap. Reminded me of the Cutta days. Again though, full credit for dropping the mitts tonight. Job well done Mr. Schulz.
This is a good Tiger team. I'm disappointed in Barker. Where is the heart buddy? Third overall pick my rear. Everytime he came off the ice in the first period he seemed to ignore his teammates and sit on the bench by himself. Is this a case of the Ovechkin or is it just habbit? Not impressed.
Steven Marr: the guy is a true class act. I've been told stories about this guy in Moose Jaw where he has helped little kids in the hallways who were Warrior fans. Tonight when he came off the ice in warmups he threw some pucks to a few five or six year old kids sitting in the seats behind their player bench. Class act. It's things like that that will stick with those kids for a long time and will probably make future WHL fans, if not players. We need more Marr's in this league. His style is awesome too. He's a physical player but has respect for the 14 other people on the ice with him. He throws hit and skates away - no need to get involved with the useless scrimmages where guys prove that they are tough with two linesmen between them and the player they are beaking. Numerous times tonight he just turned his back to the pile with a big smile on his face, knowing full well he could leave almost any player in our lineup on the ice twitching if he wanted to.
MacArthur, i like you, you're a good player, but what was that tonight? Trying to hone your physical presence skills for the playoffs? It was like you were a loose cannon out there tonight, you and Barker both. I was hoping somebody would have put you back in your place but i guess we don't really have anybody in our lineup that can do that except for Boris, who was sitting behind us with his pulled hami.
Well, that sure is a rant. Disappointing way to end the season but congrats to Horman and Desloges on a job well done and two successful WHL careers. Best of luck in your future endeavours boys.
As for me, back to Moose Jaw i go for five more weeks to finish up the 'ole education. With any luck i'll be able to put forth the normal 100 or so rounds at the Chinook G + CC this year. One season is over, the other is just about to begin. Anybody who wants a round let me know. Anytime, anyplace. :wave:

CHtoo
03-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Just so you don't think about what the gross misconduct was for just when you need to make a long putt>>> Barry gave the ref the Trudeau salute to let him know just how much he respected him. I think at least 2000 people in the stands would agree with his assessment of the ref.

Scout
03-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I thought that call was not needed by the ref. He could have given him 10 min. misconduct. I do believe a gross misconduct carries a 1 game suspension. The ref either didn't know he was an overage and a gross misconduct would end his dub career or didn't care. Either way it is to late now but i was really ticked that Dorsett never got a match for attempt to injure when he slammed Schulz's head into the glass during the fight.

Now i think i will grade each player from the team starting with the Left D and so on when i get a chance. It will give us something to discuss during our long break from hockey, but please lets show class if we disagree and no personal attacks. I'm going to hopefully start in the next week and want other opinions. Remember i'm the mod. so i will always be right lol

Scout

Flathead
03-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I thought you were a little harsh on the CCC atmosphere. The first period especially the ol' barn was a rockin. Why was it so good in the first?? Because the team played awesome, people aren't going to cheer for lack luster efforts. The last 8 minutes of the 3rd when we started to play very good again, the barn got louder, go figure? But all in all I thought it was a very exciting game and atmosphere.
Lost some respect again for the drunken, loud mouthed, mullet wearing fans from the Hat. Kinda of ridiculous how the fire alarm got pulled in the 1st intermission, only happens when the hillbilliesfrom Alta come to town. Classless Clowns!

Willis on the Welfare
03-19-2005, 10:49 AM
I had a chance to meet some fans from the Hat (including Grumphy). The fans I met were good supporters of their team who even gave the Broncos a standing O at the end of the game. I never thought I'd defend fans from the Hat but most of them were okay. It's sad when a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Fans from the Hat had to sit through five years of garbage hockey to get the great team they have now. They appreciate and support it. I hope we have that passion when our rebuilding reaches it's peak.
I agree with Flathead that some Tiger fans can really ruin things, but most are great fans that I hope still make the trip when the Broncos are kicking their ass next year and in the years to come.

Recaps of the weekend coming up tomorrow.

Willi$

smackitsakic
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
The Hat fans are fine, there are about five of em that manage to completely wreck the image of that city and that team for everybody else. But it's out fault just as much as it is theirs that we stereotype the rest of them to be that way.
The fire alarm was nothing major. It isn't all that loud of a siren, and it's not like it exactly produced a stampede to get out of the building. :laugh: Maybe that's a bad thing.
Here's the thing - if that building last night was "rocking", then we've become so adjusted to a quiet building that our standards are now low enough that we're almost immune to the true meaning of what a good atmosphere is. It is incredibly loud when 2200 fans are chanting GO BRONCOS GO at the top of their lungs, and we didn't come anywhere close to that last night. We were sitting in section H when we were attempting our chants, and we were actually with some young people, but more people turned around and frowned at us for giving them headached than there were people that joined in. I'm a realist, and i haven't been to many games this year b/c of my location, but i think this year perhaps droopped the standards of Bronco fans. But, at least by now the season is over and we'll be in for a treat next year.

Scout
03-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree most Tiger fans should alot of class. I had some real good visits with them. Yah there was a few that were total jack asses but we can't paint all the Tiger fans the same way. Your right they suffered alot of years and are showing their support for the team. Thats the atmosphere we need.

Glad to see your back Willis. I've been told you know who i am and i was told who you are. Makes sence now why your recaps are so good.

Scout

CatFan
03-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Once again I am disappointed that a few fans give us such a bad name, but the majority of Hat fans are just so wrapped up in our team that we live and breath Tiger hockey. I wish I could have been there last night to meet some of you guys (especially Scout and Smackit) but what can I say I'm also a huge Kalan supporter and had to go to Calgary to catch his act!! Anyway, as for the atmosphere in Swift I wouldn't worry too much. A few years ago, when we were really struggling the atmosphere in the Arena was like a morgue. Then, as success started to rear it's head the fans remembered what it was like to have fun and enjoy hockey again. Some down time will do wonders for you believe it or not. I think so many years of making the playoffs got the Swift fans a little spoiled, so I'm betting next year, with new hope and a good young team you will see improvement in the atmosphere. So keep the faith and I hope to see you guys next year!!

ointhecreek
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
One of the classier hat fans. I wish I could have met when You were down last time. You are welcome in our barn anytime!! :thumb: It's too bad there are some real jeckass fans (you know who you are and so do we) that are just so bent on making trouble.

Scout
03-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Kalan who? Just my last shot before seasons end lol. Like the Tigers, he beat out Theresa from Saskatchewan. right? lol

Scout

Flathead
03-19-2005, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=smackitsakic]
The fire alarm was nothing major. It isn't all that loud of a siren, and it's not like it exactly produced a stampede to get out of the building. :laugh: Maybe that's a bad thing.
QUOTE]

So having the fire trucks, firemen and RCMP come rushing to the building is nothing major??? Somebody pays for that and it's not the fans from Med Hat.

Scout
03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I know the guy that turned in the hat fan who pulled the alarm. He was arrested and charged. The Bronco fan who fingured him had to go to the station and id the Hat fan and give a statement. He was seen at the game later with a sheet of paper so i'm guessing he was charged pretty heavey and i hope enough of a fine to cover the costs. Don't know what jolly he got out of pulling the alarm but i'm glad he got caught and arrested. The funny thing is he was no kid. He looked to be in his late 30's.

Scout

Flathead
03-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I know the guy that turned in the hat fan who pulled the alarm. He was arrested and charged. The Bronco fan who fingured him had to go to the station and id the Hat fan and give a statement. He was seen at the game later with a sheet of paper so i'm guessing he was charged pretty heavey and i hope enough of a fine to cover the costs. Don't know what jolly he got out of pulling the alarm but i'm glad he got caught and arrested. The funny thing is he was no kid. He looked to be in his late 30's.

Scout

Good to hear!!!! :thumb: