PDA

View Full Version : Clarke fired

scamperdog
11-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Blazers fired head coach this afternoon, the teams assistants will be looking after team going into games this weekend, more to come later.....

scamperdog
11-07-2007, 08:55 PM
On the tv7 news tonight, Clark was not surprised as the writing was on the wall, he was the former blazer boards man, but never was the guy the new ownership had in mind,
the new ownership group has been talking about a change over the last few days, plus talking to possible replacements,
Clarks record including the tailspin from last year is something like six wins in 35 games, this shows that something big happened last feb, even though the team did go through many injuries and sickness, that these guys tuned him out then and it has continued into this year,
Hopefully a change will help, but now its up to the players to show that the coach was the problem and not them,
last night against the Rebels, even though it was another loss, at least they played one of there better games this season, now it to carry that over with new leadership from the top,
A rumour at the game last night was the new guy might be a former old guy, who coached here and then took another team that begin with k to the cup,
now in saying this it came out before the coach being fired today,
a rumour with out names not bad!

Bocephus
11-07-2007, 11:14 PM
A rumour at the game last night was the new guy might be a former old guy, who coached here and then took another team that begin with k to the cup,
now in saying this it came out before the coach being fired today,
a rumour with out names not bad!
hmmm, is he coaching minor hockey in Swift Current and his initials are MH?

scamperdog
11-07-2007, 11:34 PM
KAMLOOPS, BC – The ownership group of the Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club announced today that it has relieved Dean Clark of his duties as General Manager and Head Coach of the team effective immediately.

"This is a difficult day," said Blazers' principal owner Tom Gaglardi. "However, we have concluded that without a change in leadership there was not a reasonable expectation of our club playing to its full potential. As owners, we believe we owe the players and their families an environment where they can excel both on and off the ice. It is clear to us that our players have fallen short of their own personal expectations."

"We as a group would also like to thank Dean for his four-plus years in the service of the hockey club. He did a tremendous job of bringing the franchise forward in that time. The team is in much better shape today than it was four-and-a-half years ago so we would like to thank him for all his efforts both with the team and within the community," said Gaglardi.

The remainder of the coaching staff – Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager Shane Zulyniak, Assistant Coach Andrew Milne, and Assistant Coach Steve Gainey – will be retained. The club expects to name an Interim Head Coach and an Interim Director of Hockey Operations within the next seven days.

MJCO5
11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
It's about time the ******* needed to go

Swando
11-08-2007, 04:01 AM
I'd heard that an Ellerby trade to Vancouver was in the works...but with the firing I think it is dead... Vancouver needs scoring anyways not D.,,although who wouldn't want Keaton for the right price if was true.

Scout
11-08-2007, 07:00 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Thursday, November 8, 2007
Clark out; Hawgood in
From The Daily News of Thursday, Nov. 8, 2007 . . .

The new owners of the Kamloops Blazers have made their first move in
reshaping the WHL franchise.
Dean Clark, who was in his fifth season with the club, has been dismissed as
general manager and head coach.
Former Blazers defencemean Greg Hawgood will be named head coach today.
Hawgood, who doesn’t have any coaching experience at this level, has been
managing the Ice Box Arena.
An interim director of hockey operations will be hired in the near future.
The Daily News also learned late last night that the Blazers are expected to
announce today that defenceman Keaton Ellerby, who turned 19 on Monday, has
been traded to the Moose Jaw Warriors for right-winger Brady Calla, 19, who
is a Kelowna native.
Calla, 6-foot-0 and 195 pounds, has 10 points in 14 games this season. In
219 career regular-season games, he has 105 points, including 36 goals.
Majority owner Tom Gaglardi made the announcement of Clark’s firing at a
hastily called news conference late Wednesday afternoon in the Blazers’
boardroom.
Kirk Fraser, the radio voice of the Blazers, and Dennis Coates, the team’s
alternate governor, also attended the news conference.
The firing comes with the Blazers, who have played without much enthusiasm
in losing four straight games, about to open a three-game weekend. They meet
the Chiefs in Spokane on Friday, return home to face the Chilliwack Bruins
on Saturday and then play the Giants in Vancouver on Sunday.
The Blazers hold a 6-9-1-1 record and are ninth in the 10-team Western
Conference, three points behind the Seattle Thunderbirds. Eight teams will
qualify for the playoffs.
The decision to fire Clark, who is signed through the 2008-09 season with a
club option on 2009-10, was made Tuesday morning.
“We unanimously decided it was time to make a change,” Gaglardi said
referring to partners Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla, Mark Recchi and Darryl
Sydor, all of them ex-Blazers who now are in the NHL.
Those five purchased the Blazers over the summer and officially took over as
owners on Oct. 25.
“It’s unfortunate,” Gaglardi said. “This is a difficult decision. It was a
decision that was unanimous among our ownership group. It was a decision I’m
not sure I was prepared to make unless there was unanimity among our
ownership group. The fact is that there was.”
Gaglardi said the interim director of hockey operations “will take over a
portion of Dean’s job and the interim head coach will take the other
portions.”
Gaglardi added that Shane Zulyniak, the assistant GM and assistant coach,
and assistant coach Andrew Milne will be retained and, Gaglardi said,
“leaned on heavily, certainly during the transition period for the interim
head coach.”
Zulyniak and Milne are signed through 2008-09.
Assistant coach Steve Gainey also remains in place.
“I don’t know,” Clark, the 10th winningest coach in WHL history, said when
asked what went wrong. “If I had an answer, things would be different.
Ultimately, the team didn’t play well.
“We had the great preseason and everybody expected things to be better.
There were a lot of one-goal games. . . . You score a goal here or there. .
. . Confidence is a funny thing.”
Asked if he felt relieved, disappointed or frustrated, Clark responded: “All
of the above.”
Was he surprised?
“No, not at all,” he said.
Gaglardi, when asked about Clark’s contract and buyout terms, replied: “I’m
not going to comment on that.”
Gaglardi and Clark met in mid-afternoon.
“I think Dean would admit his disappointment as to the recent performance of
the club,” Gaglardi said. “I think he’s as disappointed as anyone.”
Clark said he feels worst of all “for the kids.”
“I wish the players all the success,” said Clark. “They’re good kids;
they’re good players. They will be good. It was a matter of time before we
figured it out.”
Clark and his wife, Darilyn, were celebrating daughter Kaitlyne’s fifth
birthday yesterday.
“Are we celebrating?” Clark said. “Absolutely.”

Bocephus
11-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I was thinking Habshied but now I hear Hawgood. I guess I was wrong with the H name.

Brandonite
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Dean Clark will not be unemployed in the WHL for long! At the moment, he is still better than atleast 5 other Head Coaches in the league and will be back sooner than later! He is a great coach and young guy who players can get along with!

hobster
11-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I hate too say but the Warriors kind of ripped you guys a new ass hole on that deal for Ellerby today, expecially when he's like Dion Phanuef allready.

SectionNDeserter
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I hate too say but the Warriors kind of ripped you guys a new ass hole on that deal for Ellerby today, expecially when he's like Dion Phanuef allready.
In 254 WHL games with Red Deer, Phaneuf had 64 goals, 82 assists for 146 points, 554 Penalty minutes, and was +75.

In 213 WHL games with Kamloops, Ellerby had 4 goals, 30 assists for 34 points, 347 penalty minutes, and was -18.

He is an ok defenseman, but he couldn't carry Phaneuf's jockstrap.

hobster
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
My god you couldn't see my sarcaism on that deal i was just saying that because thats how warrior fans seem too be treating it

Brandonite
11-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Personally I'd be happy if my team got an NHL 1st round top 15 pick player of any kind. It was no fluke that scouts loved this kid! Hes only 18, he will be in Moose Jaw next year and he sure is not going to hurt the team any thats for sure!! Holzapfel & Ellerby are 2 quality NHL prospects!

hobster
11-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Ellerby and Holzapfel will both not be back next season ,there bot signed .

WHEATMAN
11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Ellerby and Holzapfel will both not be back next season ,there bot signed .

Holzapfel won't be back, but you have got to be kidding about Ellerby, he is in his 18 year old season buddy, there is virtually a 0% chance of Ellerby staying in the NHL next year.

wardog fan
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
guys settle down, ellerby is a 88 born which makes him a 19 yr old this season, chances are he and holzy will not be back next yr and if ellerby comes back we have about 7 19 yr olds on our roster.. holzy, ellerby, knackstedt, stanton, ward, and grantham. likily will be some more deals either at the trade deadline or in the off season. they are both keepers i mean holzy and ellerby but no one is holding their breathes on their returns next yr...

wardog fan
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
and let me just go on the record as saying i have read all the moose jaw fans posts, and not one has mentioned or compared ellerby to phanouf , hobster you brought it up. the bottom line here guys we as a organization havre a ligit dman now , something we havent had in a while , and our team has a improved aton. come on anyone of you guys would be just excited as us warrior fans, give us a break here . and lets not get out of hand and put pressure and comparisons to ellerby , no one knows but him and the warrior coaching staff what we will get out of him.....

scamperdog
11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
and let me just go on the record as saying i have read all the moose jaw fans posts, and not one has mentioned or compared ellerby to phanouf , hobster you brought it up. the bottom line here guys we as a organization havre a ligit dman now , something we havent had in a while , and our team has a improved aton. come on anyone of you guys would be just excited as us warrior fans, give us a break here . and lets not get out of hand and put pressure and comparisons to ellerby , no one knows but him and the warrior coaching staff what we will get out of him.....
Your getting a guy with a lot of talent, I would say he is not going to rack up a lot of points for you, but should be solid on the blue line, I really believe a change of teams is the best thing that could happen to Ellerby, he was the crowds whippin boy here and that does not help any kid, and why would you want to play hard for a team when the crowd cheers that your a healthy scratch for a game, he is blamed for a lot of the on ice problems here, right or wrong, that will soon be answered, but I would like to see him show kamloops that we were wrong in how we judged his play.

hobster
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know why 2 differant Brandon fans thought Ellerby was 18, come on and give your heads a shake man oh man.

Bocephus
11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
It would be possible for Ellerby to play two and a half more seasons in the dub, no? It won't happen but that is truue isn't it. Doesn't that mean that he is an 18? 19 on the calender!

WHEATMAN
11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Oops, My mistake I forgot Ellerby had a late birthday

eye4aneye
11-13-2007, 02:01 PM
wheaties fans... :spineyes: jk..i think