PDA

View Full Version : Team toughness

Son of a Preacher Man
11-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I realize this has been beaten to death but with the recent trade the Warriors have made are we falling behind? I heard Jon Keen pose the question to Dean and Dean said the style is getting away from toughness. But it got me thinking. Do we need more than R.J. ? In the East Saskatoon has 6'5" Klotz who is one of the top heavyweights. They add 6'7" Kevin Philp. Regina has 6'5" Elder and tho not as tough but good non the less Leffler. Moose Jaw now has 6'5" top heavy in MacLaren and have up and comer 6'4" Grantham. Who do we have to counter this if the game gets out of control like with Regina or one of these guys takes liberties on Nelson, etc. Just curious on other posters thoughts. With the size and toughness being added to other teams in the East, is the style of game really getting away from tough guys? It appears to me this year that fighting is up this year. Any thoughts on this?

sbtatter
11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting topic and even though I'm a WK fan I thought I'd post a few thoughts. I think every team needs one legitimate fighter, for example we have Yeo, that way you can have heavyweight vs heavyweight. But after that, I think it's more intimidating to have middleweights who can skate well and like to hit hard. I'm more intimidated on the ice when there's a guy who wants to pound me into the boards shift after shift, rather than a heavyweight who's likely only going to fight my heavyweight. So as long as you have a couple guys around like Ryan White, Chad Erb, Michael Wilson, Matt Lowry who don't mind chucking when they have to, I think one heavyweight per team is fine. I still think the over riding skill required now is speed, with a nice dose of grit and team spirit.
Swift didn't appear to be intimidated by or suffer from Regina's antics the other night to me.
Good topic and I'm interested to hear other thoughts on it.

Chuckles
11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Ya know its a interesting topic my roommate and i chat about this all the time. So say you do go out and get a ligit tough guy. Here is the next question who do you sit for him to play? Thats a crazy tough question i'm sure people have answers but really you ain't goign to sit eakin, hobin, tassonni.. like the list goes on all our guys we have contribute to our team we have some team toughness and everyone is going to have to stick up for everyone and we tend to do that well. The best answer to what ya do when a team trys to goon ya... Score on the power play.. makes them look bad for taking stupid penatilies.. Thats just my two bit i don't wanna see any tinkering right now i like what we got and holy cow is it fast..
P.s. those new seats are a sweet view to watch from. Or atleast i think so.

Scout
11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree every team needs one legit heavyweight and i don't think we have one. We now have the talent and speed up front to be a contender but we don't have a team policeman. Case in point was the Regina game. Elder who is 6'5" had a hold of our rookie Eakin who is a scorer not a fighter. If he had of unloaded he would have killed Eakin. Thank goodness Elder showed alot of class and stuck by the fighters code and never let loose just held him away. When we had Tidball our guys were never intimidated because they new Tidball was on the bench. I agree we have some great middleweights in R.J. Smith and Wiese but they will never intimidate guys like MacLaren, Klotz, etc. These guys could do as they please and would destroy any of our guys. If the style of the game is changing then why are teams that are contending beafing up? I agree we need a true heavyweight just for intimidation so guys like Klotz and MacLaren know we have someone to answer the bell. Come play-offs these other teams can grind for seven games if need be and will hammer our star players thru the boards. I think we have all the pieces to the puzzle except one and thats a legit heavey. My opinion only but even in the N.H.L. every team has a heavey.

Scout

Flathead
11-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree every team needs one legit heavyweight and i don't think we have one. We now have the talent and speed up front to be a contender but we don't have a team policeman. Case in point was the Regina game. Elder who is 6'5" had a hold of our rookie Eakin who is a scorer not a fighter. If he had of unloaded he would have killed Eakin. Thank goodness Elder showed alot of class and stuck by the fighters code and never let loose just held him away. When we had Tidball our guys were never intimidated because they new Tidball was on the bench. I agree we have some great middleweights in R.J. Smith and Wiese but they will never intimidate guys like MacLaren, Klotz, etc. These guys could do as they please and would destroy any of our guys. If the style of the game is changing then why are teams that are contending beafing up? I agree we need a true heavyweight just for intimidation so guys like Klotz and MacLaren know we have someone to answer the bell. Come play-offs these other teams can grind for seven games if need be and will hammer our star players thru the boards. I think we have all the pieces to the puzzle except one and thats a legit heavey. My opinion only but even in the N.H.L. every team has a heavey.

Scout
Couldn't have said it better or agreed more. RJ will step up and take on a heavyweight (and win, Yeo and RJ scrap a year or two ago, RJ clear winner) if he has to but he doesn't have that imtimidation that a true heavyweight has. I think that an enforcer is needed and if we could get one that is also a solid stay at home dman, it may be the only piece needed to be more of a serious contender.

sbtatter
11-10-2007, 03:08 PM
So lets say Swifty want a heavy weight, who would you like to get?

SuckItUp
11-10-2007, 03:14 PM
How about Gauthier out of Kamloops. Wouldnt that piss PA off move out West to keep him away from East teams only to be traded here. Or James McEwan out of Kelowna.

Scout
11-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Not all heavyweights can't play hockey. MacLaren can play and also does the enforcer role with great success. As for who do we give up? We have an unreal depth chart right now with alot of players who can play in the Dub waiting in the wings. As for who sits. There are a couple of older guys who on our team are not playing to their potential and are being out played by our rookies. Mac would be a great fit with our team and has a rep of being a hockey player and tough. Kelowna is retooling and maybe we could trade one of our list players along with a vet for him. I don't know how it works and i'm not the coach but i think we need a legit heavey.

Scout

dodywood4ever
11-10-2007, 05:08 PM
This lack of a heavy is gonna bite us in the ass. If not now in the playoffs for sure. We will see what Klotz and Philip have in store for us tonight.

d-man
11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Thank goodness Elder showed alot of class and stuck by the fighters code and never let loose just held him away.
Scout
There was no class in that fight. Elder tore off his helmet and clubbed Eakin twice in the head. Enough to get them both ejected for being the second fight at the time. That was pure Curtis Hunt using the multiple fight rule to his team's advantage - smart coach?? class?? ehhhh.... Depends which team you cheer for.
Although east teams are beefing up I still like the philosophy - "You can't hit what you can't catch"

Scout
11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
What are the chances. It appears Tayler Jordan has returned home to Wynyard and has demanded a trade. This is just a rumor so far but all indications are that he has left the team. The kid is a 6'6" 17 year-old who's idol is Frazer MacLaren. Now this should start a great debate on team toughness. Should the Broncos try to get him? He's not a goon but won't back down and has had some good tilts with some vets and he will stick up for his team mates. Whats the chances of Dean having any interest in him? Thoughts.

Scout

SectionNDeserter
11-11-2007, 04:50 PM
He is a guy who isn't a goon or a heavyweight, but is willing to drop the gloves. He has 2 points and is -16 through 60 contests with the Hawks, and if the rumours are true, has bailed on his team because they aren't doing too well (despite him seemingly doing nothing to help that)... If your team's GM has interest in this guy, I think the question you have to ask yourself is, why?