PDA

View Full Version : Bus Blogging

Scout
11-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Keen's Korner

I was reading the blog of Everett Silvertips’ broadcaster Jon Rosen. He’s doing a daily commentary on his travels through their Central division road trip. Apparently some of the fans in Lethbridge were getting in his face below his broadcast location. Taunting, cheering and clapping in front of him when the Hurricanes would score. It was a good read and I can sure relate to some of that stuff.

It’s par for the course in the WHL. It’s no big deal. Most of us broadcasters could care less while others take it personally. I tend to lean on the personally side a little bit. Those who know me know me as a pretty competitive guy. When someone is giving it to me below the booth I tend to try and give it right back.

The worst case came in Vancouver a couple years ago. The broadcast booth and media area is situated between a couple of sections on the lower bowl near center-ice. This donkey fan was all over me in a Giants third period comeback. I shut my headset mic of a few times and had some words for him… he was drunk, I don’t think it mattered what I said. He was in his own world. He tried to hop over the concrete wall and get at me… I was hoping he was going to make it over…I was fired up after a Chris Savage refereeing sideshow that night and like a player was looking to take out some frustrations on someone. He would have worked nicely. Security pulled him down and dragged him to the bottom of the steps where he proceeded to do a little victory jig for me.

Prince George is a common place for fan on broadcaster dialogue. Luckily we’ve handled the Cougars quite well in their rink the past few years and the Cougar faithful haven’t had much to cheer about with the Broncos in town.

It was different last month in PG. Most of the fan taunting was directed towards the booth beside me in a Broncos 6-1 win. Cougar’s G.M. Dallas Thompson was sitting next door and hearing it from fans. Now there’s one guy I wouldn’t want to tick-off.

Moose Jaw’s Civic Center has its moments too. However most of the talk back and forth is good-natured. No harm intended.

My colorman Ryan Switzer has a little something going with the Medicine Hat fans. Especially the motley crew that sit behind the Tigers bench. They are harmless though, and we are at least 50 feet above them.

I’m sure the other broadcasters around the league could reference similar stories…