PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Fiddler

hobster
11-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Tyler Fiddler picked up his first point in his first ever WHL game last night against Moose Jaw.Still not sure why P.A didn't give this guy a shot, he's gonna be a star in this league for years too come.

Triton
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Tyler Fiddler picked up his first point in his first ever WHL game last night against Moose Jaw.Still not sure why P.A didn't give this guy a shot, he's gonna be a star in this league for years too come.

You better not talk about Mintos around here or you'll get shot.

hobster
11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
lol why is that ?

Triton
11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
lol why is that ?

"Cause Minto talk shouldn't be on a raider board..nobody cares about the Mintos, it's a Raider board, not a Minto board"...

Thats the reason I got anyways. I understand the reasoning, I just think it was really something so minuscule to freak out about.

TheSnowman
11-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Mintos are being poached again hey? (I'll take my chances)
That's a huge loss for them.
I agree though he'll be a force in the Dub. Very good hockey sense in that one.

Wildeyes
11-18-2007, 12:26 AM
did tyler leave or did he just get called up because calgary was in town ?

clockwise
11-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Fiddler player Saturday night in Notre Dame for the Mintos

Triton
11-18-2007, 01:52 AM
The team was already down South in Wilcox, so it was an opportunity for Fiddler to get the call seeing as Calgary was also down south. He's still with the team.

Trav
11-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Didnt play last night against the Blades, could play today since the Hitmen are playing the Raiders.

peatfan
11-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Watched him in the Moose Jaw ame and was impressed with him. Definately has hockey sense, was aware of backchecking and showed some offensive ability. Loking forward to seeing him here in Calgary for the next couple of years playing beside Fox. Ryan has really improved since training camp. Back then I never thought he desered a spot but has shown more confidence and will stay on the third/fourth line this year. Do you have any more Minto's you don't need? Send them to us, thanks.

clrkth Boogaard'd pbj clrkth Boogaard'd yeehoo clrkth Boogaard'd :spineyes:

SectionNDeserter
11-19-2007, 07:28 AM
What the heck is a Minto anyways? Some animal indigenous to the region?

TheSnowman
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
A bitter Red Deer-ian in our midst?? j/k bro...
I think Wally told me it was named for a region in Scotland... I'd assume where one of the team's founders came from?? Where that region got its name I have no idea.

Triton
11-19-2007, 11:30 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Albert_Mintos

TheSnowman
11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Triton!

OldRaiderFan
11-27-2007, 03:03 PM

A Minto is the name given to the Midget Hockey Team in PA in honor of Govenor General Minto (1898-1904). Gov.-Gen. Minto loved sports and the outdoors and made many contributions to Canadian Sport and Culture. His name is on the Minto Cup which is the cup given to recognize the National Lacrosse Champions of Canada. Lord Minto was also the assistant to General Middleton at the Battle of Batoche. He also love Western Canada and travelled the country on horseback. Prince Albert decided to honor one of the best hockey programs in Canada with the name "Mintos." By the way, What is a rebel?

Triton
11-27-2007, 03:05 PM
A Minto is the name given to the Midget Hockey Team in PA in honor of Govenor General Minto (1898-1904). Gov.-Gen. Minto loved sports and the outdoors and made many contributions to Canadian Sport and Culture. His name is on the Minto Cup which is the cup given to recognize the National Lacrosse Champions of Canada. Lord Minto was also the assistant to General Middleton at the Battle of Batoche. He also love Western Canada and travelled the country on horseback. Prince Albert decided to honor one of the best hockey programs in Canada with the name "Mintos." By the way, What is a rebel?

Not even close. Try wikipedia or the link above which explains what a Minto is..

OldRaiderFan
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
I think I know what I'm talking about without reading Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that has no credibility with people who rely on historical or intellectual fact. I'm not saying this article is incorrect, I just saying I would not rely on Wikipedia for accurate facts.

Triton
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I think I know what I'm talking about without reading Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that has no credibility with people who rely on historical or intellectual fact. I'm not saying this article is incorrect, I just saying I would not rely on Wikipedia for accurate facts.

The link is on the Mintos site if you care to check it out, I don't think they would post a false link to an article about the origin of their team name on their site. punk rock

SectionNDeserter
11-27-2007, 05:23 PM
By the way, What is a rebel?
reb·el /n., adj. ˈrɛbəl; v. rɪˈbɛl/
–noun
1. a person who refuses allegiance to, resists, or rises in arms against the government or ruler of his or her country.
2. a person who resists any authority, control, or tradition.
–adjective
3. rebellious; defiant.
4. of or pertaining to rebels.

Knuckle Chucker
11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Not even close. Try wikipedia or the link above which explains what a Minto is..

How is it not even close? All OldRaiderFan did was add more detail, which I know is fact. Maybe he should add it to the wikipedia information..anyone can

eye4aneye
11-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Why are we talking about fiddler still and mintos?

Knuckle Chucker
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Why are we talking about fiddler still and mintos?

Fiddler is a kid playing right in our Barn under Don Clark's nose and he still wasn't able to see the potential and sign the kid. Not only is he a good hockey player but his extended famly would fill the half of the rink that is empty now. One more reason why Clark must go.

Sabes
01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
http://www.hitmenhockey.com/cgi-bin/news/comments.cgi?type=newsroom&file_num=0000001254

Says he joined the team after the Mac's Tournament so maybe he will play tonight.

Triton
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
There goes the Mintos season. Also heard from one of the parents that another Minto could be joining a WHL team very soon as well.

Trav
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
and he's a call up for tonight but to be honest he should be with the Hitmen permanently. He is to good for Midget, he scores a goal or two every game practically.

hobster
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
yeah and he scored allready tonight on a nice goal i guess.

Trav
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
know how to do their jobs. They list Fiddler's goal but then have him listed on the Raiders roster lol, must be a Raider fan working the stats page tonight, just kiddin.

hobster
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
know how to do their jobs. They list Fiddler's goal but then have him listed on the Raiders roster lol, must be a Raider fan working the stats page tonight, just kiddin.Yeah thats hilarious too bad the Raiders don't have this kid cause he's gonna be a supreme star in this league

Triton
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I asked Kisio and he informed me that he was only brought up for the game. Way to go Tyler, a goal, a regular shift and 1st star.

hobster
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
He's played 2 games now 2 games 2 points and a +2 applause

Knuckle Chucker
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
He also got ripped off a assist and with any luck at all could have had 4 points.

Yep he could of for sure had at least 2 more goals. It is a crying shame that this kid is not a Raider

OldRaiderFan
01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Tyler Fiddler had an outstanding game. His first goal and the Hitman's first was a beautiful goal set up by another Minto, Ryan Fox. I also thought that Calgary's second goal was announced incorrectly. I thought the second assist should have gone to Tyler Fiddler. Fiddler is going to be unbelieveable in this league and e did not look out of place at all. He could skate, handle the puck well and he even made the odd good hit. I am just sickened that the Raider scouts and GM couldn't see his potential while Calgary did. Good for Fiddler and its great to see a local kid do well.

Sabes
01-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Fiddler is a kid playing right in our Barn under Don Clark's nose and he still wasn't able to see the potential and sign the kid. Not only is he a good hockey player but his extended famly would fill the half of the rink that is empty now. One more reason why Clark must go.

Tokarski is another that was a big mistake.

RebelsFan
01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Isn't Fiddler a 17 year old still playing AAA Midget hockey? If this is the same kid, why is it such a crime that the Raiders didn't draft him in the high rounds? Was he drafted by Calgary or listed later? If Calgary thought he was capable of playing at the dub level every night you would think he would be there. I don't know the kid I'm just going by the circumstances. Can someone fill me in on the history please. Even at a goal and an assist that's a pretty good outing for a young player. I know Tokarski was listed a while after the draft and that one looks bad for the scouts.

Doogie_T-BirdsFan
01-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Tokarski is another that was a big mistake.

what is going on in raider town. tokarski was one off the best goailes i have ever watched in hockey period. tokarski was left undrafted, unsigned until after the mac tournament then spokane signed him. what a miss by raider scouts. two of the most coverted players in smaaahl that year. one they missed in tokarski. and the other in hewson came on to the team and is one the best leaders and team players in raider history. granted he is not having one of the best years with the team but if you guys that **** talk him( on here and on the pa herald site) all the time know what he went through in the off season. you would ask why he is such a stand up guy and defences his team as much as he can. He is probably one of the best defencive players in dub right now. If he gets left unsigned next year he will dominate any league he plays and that included the show. If you ask what are you talking about have a look at at his pk apilites (with trach why do you think raiders pk is so high in the league)and his +/- on the five on five for his line ranking.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Don't we have a couple of goalies already in the system? If I remember you only have 2 goalies dressed per game. yeehoo

Trav
01-06-2008, 08:39 AM
but apparently he went back to PA because of a death in the family and then ended up staying. I believe he was listed by the Hitmen after not being picked in the bantam draft which is a surprise.

Wildeyes
01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
its not that big of a surpise that these guys dont get picked up in the bantam draft just beacuse they pan out in midget doesnt mean that they are all that great to get drafted you have to remeber that there is close to 120 teams that the players from the bantam draft get drafted from there is 4 leagues in sask alone. I would say to you is try watching some bantam AA games and see for your self.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
ya everyone here seems to be an expert on hockey....but don't watch bantams game in game out for a living. You draft at how the kid is at 14 people..If every scout had a crystal ball The Tyler Fiddlers would never get missed. Rej Beauchemin was never drafted as a bantam and was listed by PA. That seemed to work out ok for the RAIDERS and if I recall Team Canada. Give your head a shake people. They are 14...there are 2 years of influence that can happen. You can't control what the parents do, the coache and their friends(peer pressure). Some kids are not drafted at 14 because they are just not good kids. They straighten out and turn out ok, and then sometimes get picked up by teams. At the draft time though, they are not worth the pick. Now look at button, late draft pick by PA and makes the under 17 team. There were lots of draft picks that were playing at the Mac's tourney as well that did ok. Did any of you know that Aasman's team is in last place in their league right now? that means he couldplay for us if our season goes later then his. There are many examples of players that are missed or late picks that make the grade later. Did none of you watch the World JR's there are what 6 players that were late bantam draft picks, or were never drafted at all and one or two that have never been drafted into the NHL. Some players are a crap shoot.. Unless you have experience in the scouting dept and understand the chain of command in the CHL, you really have nothing to say. SOMETIMES IT IS LUCK AND SOMETIMES IT IS BAD LUCK....from year to year. vc178

Crap look at some of the NHL players that have canned who were "sure" shots at 18. ie The lindros bros. Temper tantrums and injuries.

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
ya everyone here seems to be an expert on hockey....but don't watch bantams game in game out for a living. You draft at how the kid is at 14 people..If every scout had a crystal ball The Tyler Fiddlers would never get missed. Rej Beauchemin was never drafted as a bantam and was listed by PA. That seemed to work out ok for the RAIDERS and if I recall Team Canada. Give your head a shake people. They are 14...there are 2 years of influence that can happen. You can't control what the parents do, the coache and their friends(peer pressure). Some kids are not drafted at 14 because they are just not good kids. They straighten out and turn out ok, and then sometimes get picked up by teams. At the draft time though, they are not worth the pick. Now look at button, late draft pick by PA and makes the under 17 team. There were lots of draft picks that were playing at the Mac's tourney as well that did ok. Did any of you know that Aasman's team is in last place in their league right now? that means he couldplay for us if our season goes later then his. There are many examples of players that are missed or late picks that make the grade later. Did none of you watch the World JR's there are what 6 players that were late bantam draft picks, or were never drafted at all and one or two that have never been drafted into the NHL. Some players are a crap shoot.. Unless you have experience in the scouting dept and understand the chain of command in the CHL, you really have nothing to say. SOMETIMES IT IS LUCK AND SOMETIMES IT IS BAD LUCK....from year to year. vc178

Crap look at some of the NHL players that have canned who were "sure" shots at 18. ie The lindros bros. Temper tantrums and injuries.

Fiddler wasn't drafted he was listed with the hitmen. You think we might have an advantage on this one. so again it comes down to the scouting and who is in charge of that donn clark. which he seems to be doing alot right now himself. I mean its a 50/50 chance but the last five drafts we havn't had a first round pick turnout. I guess when you think of it clark hasn't pulled off to many bad trades it's our scouted drafted players that are crap or most of them i should say

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
vci11 dodged that bullet. Clarke has missed opportuniities to make alot of trades. Not sure why. It is Clarke that signs off on those. If the kid says he will come to PA and wants to play in the dub...then suddenly hedges after being drafted....if the kid has a melt down 2 years after the draft..that is predictable...if a coach doesn't have the patience to develop younger players and granted some are not instant super stars as soon as they hit the dub. HECK EVEN TAVARES GOT CUT FROM TEAM CANADA....So westbeach when are you starting your WHL scouting career?

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Fiddler wasn't drafted he was listed with the hitmen. You think we might have an advantage on this one. so again it comes down to the scouting and who is in charge of that donn clark. which he seems to be doing alot right now himself. I mean its a 50/50 chance but the last five drafts we havn't had a first round pick turnout. I guess when you think of it clark hasn't pulled off to many bad trades it's our scouted drafted players that are crap or most of them i should say
So which players are crap...? you seem to be an expert on the 50 man list...who would you drop?

RebelsFan
01-06-2008, 01:21 PM
All I was saying is that it is early to say that the Raiders missed on opportunity with Fiddler. An excellent midget player. Heck he's 17, he should be. He steps into a couple of games with a team in the top 4 in the dub and has some success. Put that same player on the struggling Raiders or Rebels and does he have success? It is hard to say. With a player like Fiddler, a 17 year old playing midget hockey it is hard to say. Until he plays a regular shift on a run of the mill dub team we are all still guessing. Exactly what the scouts do at the draft, educated guesses. You only hope that the "educated" part plays more of a role than the "guesses" part.
Also,a 72 game season is a long one. Midget plays what 40-50 games (baring a long playoff run like the Mintos had last year). Getting beat up every game by players up to three and four years older. I just think it's odd to say that Fiddler will be a star in this league.

Trav
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
the Hitmen's top two lines though when he came up. He was playing on the third or forth line with rookies, last game he was with Ryan Fox which benefited him because they played together last year so I don't think a person could say he might have only had success because of the team he was on. If he was playing on say the Blades or Rebels, he could probably be their best player lol.

I know that some players develop later then others and that was probably the case with Tyler and why he didnt get drafted at 14. I've only seen the Mintos play once and that was in the final telus cup game last year and Fiddler looked great then. This year, he scores pretty much every game so its quite obvious that he's better off playing in a higher league but due to the situation that he was in at the start of the year (a death in the family from what I hear) his family or maybe just himself probably thought he should be back there. Surely if none of that happened he'd be with the Hitmen now.

Trav
01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
another two goals this afternoon so far. I dunno how many games they play during the regular season but he's close to 30, wouldn't be surprised if he gets close to 50.

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
vci11 dodged that bullet. Clarke has missed opportuniities to make alot of trades. Not sure why. It is Clarke that signs off on those. If the kid says he will come to PA and wants to play in the dub...then suddenly hedges after being drafted....if the kid has a melt down 2 years after the draft..that is predictable...if a coach doesn't have the patience to develop younger players and granted some are not instant super stars as soon as they hit the dub. HECK EVEN TAVARES GOT CUT FROM TEAM CANADA....So westbeach when are you starting your WHL scouting career?

I guess i do have a say I've had season tickets for many years and I will continue to support this team. I guess i should have maybe not said crap players but all the first round players we have drafted in the last five years havn't turned out. I don't tend to be a scout never said i was but if your happy with the way things are going right now there is a problem. I have heard there are alot of problems behind the scenes and hopefully they can be solved soon. just to clarify how do you know clark missed trades (nobody knows what he has been offered) making a trade just to make a trade is not the answer

RebelsFan
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Trav said

Fiddler wasn't playing with..."the Hitmen's top two lines though when he came up. He was playing on the third or forth line with rookies, last game he was with Ryan Fox which benefited him because they played together last year so I don't think a person could say he might have only had success because of the team he was on. If he was playing on say the Blades or Rebels, he could probably be their best player lol.

I know that some players develop later then others and that was probably the case with Tyler and why he didnt get drafted at 14."

You made some exact points I was saying. When you play on the third or fourth line you play against the other teams third or fourth lines usually. I know you said lol after it but you said if he played on the Blades or Rebels he would probably be their best player. Not so is what I'm saying. To come up and have success in one game is excellent, to put that into a whole season of bus riding, hotel and billet living, getting physically beat up every game is different. You can't say that after success in one game in your home rink that a player would be lighting up the league.

The bantam draft is a crap shoot. Not defending Mr. Clarke here but scouting in general. If anyone could tell when a player is 14 what he will be like at 18 and 19 they would be scouting for an NHL team. WHL scouts are for the most part volunteers who love watching minor hockey. They give their best judgment of players over to the head scout, he has a short look at all the players and tells the GM who to pick. The GM either overrides that recommendation or not. It's his choice. Our head scout is Randy Peterson who is now our GM. Sutter tells him what type of player he wants and Peterson tries to find them. You would think the first rounders will be easy to pick but that is not apparently the case. Not just for PA, Red Deer , Saskatoon, PG, Portland, but for many other WHL teams. As someone said, you can't tell how a 14 year old will turn out but that is what scouts and GM's are challenged to do. Calgary listing Fiddler was an excellent pick up for them.
It is too bad for PA but "the girls are always better looking in the town down the road."
As someone said, the NHL scouts don't even get it right half of the time.
I am sure Fiddler will have a career in the WHL when the time is right for him.

Trav
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
and we all agree that u dont always know what kinda a player a 14 yr old will become but there are teams that have better scouting staff then other teams and these are the teams that make the playoffs every year. I dont think I gotta list the teams cuz its pretty obvious who they are. I can see why some Raider fans are upset that the Raiders let Fiddler go to Calgary right from under their nose but that happens to every team I'm sure. It'll be interesting to see how Fiddler does on a regular basis next year, my bet is though that he'll do well.

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I just think the raiders should try and draft or pick up more local players it seems to be working well for brandon as an example. So what should the raiders do it sounds like firing clark would cost the team to much money and I don't know if that is the answer but alot of people would like that. It seems like the last couple drafts have been pretty good. If clark can make a couple deals to get rid of most of the 8 (19 year olds) on the roster and get a couple of draft picks and young guys. I guess its hard to pick a player at 14 but if we can stock pile some picks we have a better chance. what's frustrating is watching a 1st round pick like depape do nothing on the ice (not even skate) right now were going to be fine at goaltending next year and our defence should be solid but were are we going to get any goals.

Dwight Schrute
01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
i agree with westbeach55
i think the 3 bernhardt, and robertson should be kept for O/A next year. guys like leblanc and depape wont bring in that much in return. but a guy who might bring in a good return would be mcdonald. and the fact that he would return as an overage next year would help add to his value. add in the cole penner wildcard... perhaps the tigers do have interest.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Depape is stinking the joint out because that is his choice, it has nothing to do with how he was drafted. He is a good pick. HE HAS CHOSEN this behavior. Does a player change their attitude if the are not drafted into the NHL? I dunno. We got Penner, Aasman, Iron, Harrison, And Kochan. I don't know of any others right now on the list, maybe someone else does/ I really think 08/09 is going to be great but as stated by West beach, we need to let some of those 19 year olds go. Has anyone heard how Lamb is doing? Poor Kid.

Sabes
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Mcdonald is our best player there is no way he should get traded. On a offensivly challenged team you got to keep Mcdonald,bernhardt, and Robertson. unless they keep Brandl

I agree with this, or keep 2 of them and trade the other for another 20 yr old d-man next year.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I Haven't heard anything about Brandl? Does he want to come back? How is he enjoying Canada? Note there are some teams that do not have 2 euros in the lineup...Europeans are almost as much as a crap shoot as a 14 yr old bantam. vci33

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I agree with this, or keep 2 of them and trade the other for another 20 yr old d-man next year.

It would be nice to ahve a 20 yr old blue liner. If we could get a May or a White are blueline would be awesome!

Rick 19
01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree that Bernhardt, Robertson and McDonald should be the 20's next year. I think Depape is worth more than what some might think. He was a 25 goal player last year (and missed a few games). Hes big and strong and with a change of scenery, he could be very valuable to a contender. We will have to see what happens in the next couple of days...

Triton
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Has anyone heard how Lamb is doing? Poor Kid.

Just as the wrist healed, he came down with a bout of mono.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree that Bernhardt, Robertson and McDonald should be the 20's next year. I think Depape is worth more than what some might think. He was a 25 goal player last year (and missed a few games). Hes big and strong and with a change of scenery, he could be very valuable to a contender. We will have to see what happens in the next couple of days...

I agree with you on your quote. that is why i am saying that Depape is CHOOSING to play like this. He is not playing to his potential. His choice. If the raiders choose to keep him after the deadline, he would be watching a few games from the stands. I think he needs a reminder that he is not invincible, and that it is a privelege to play not a right. ANd the coach has the right to tell what to do when to do it and how many times. And if you are not going to do it, there are consequences...to the stands I say.

eye4aneye
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Just as the wrist healed, he came down with a bout of mono.
Crap that mono thing is so contagious. Looks around...good grief I hope it doesn't go around.

Dwight Schrute
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Mcdonald is our best player there is no way he should get traded. On a offensivly challenged team you got to keep Mcdonald,bernhardt, and Robertson. unless they keep Brandl
best player ? i dunno about that but one of the few consistant scorers for sure. just sayin he would probably return a pretty nice asset or 2.

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM

I guess it's all whats offered on who we keep but i would imagine any of the older guys arn't untouchable. I would give up mcdonald to get a get a young gifted player. the raiders arn't going anywhere for at least a couple of years. I'm not just saying trade mcdonald cause we need too but if the price is right. lets get younger and try to rebuild

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
He may get a decent player back but probably nothing great. And he would be a great player next year for us . so it really doesnt make sense unless someone wants to overpay for him. Berhardt is the only player that may be playing better then Mcdonald but I think Mcdonald is our best overall player

yeah it would be nice for someone to overpay alot for once

westbeach55
01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
just to let people on here know im not here to start stuff just trying to figure out what can be done to get this team back on track and would like to her some more opinions on solutions