PDA

View Full Version : Brandon 1 @ S.C. 4

Big Ern
11-17-2007, 03:46 PM
My post-game musings are what you would call "extremely late" today. :) It's due to a lack of sleep, and some other issues.

The first period was scary last night. I don't think the Broncos came to play at all, and the score could easily have been 4-0 Wheat Kings after 20. Brandon out-hit our guys big time in that first frame, and made Swifty play their game. Thank godness we had Yonks back there to keep us in it, as he made 11 saves to keep the score 1-0 Brandon. I don't believe the Broncos had one scoring chance all period. The Wheaties were all over us, and that's got to be a concern. This team has to come out firing on all cylinders on a nightly basis. That was definitely not the case through 20 minutes last night.

I think the rest of the game spoke for itself. I doubt that Deano was thrilled with the performance in the first frame, and he would have let them know in a big way in that first intermission. Secondly, the guys must have taken it upon themselves to turn the game around in the second period, which is exactly what they did. The powerplay didn't take long to get going. David Steiler proved his worth to the team further by walking in with a wrister to beat Caligiuri top cheese. I'm seeing him take that shot more and more, and it seems to be working. He beat Holtby last week in Saskatoon on the exact same play. The Broncos scored again just a few moments later, when Eric Doyle scored with a howitzer that found it's way in to the right of the Brandon goalie. From there, I thought the Broncos played hard. They finished their checks, made very few mistakes, and looked like the team they can be. No collapses or anything of that sort happened through the last 40 minutes. I let go a sigh of relief when Matt Tassone's shot found it's way into the net over the glove to make it 3-1 S.C. I think Tassone has worked really hard lately, and finds himself in the top 20 draft eligible guys in the WHL as a result. A goal along the way certainly helps up the confidence. And then, a beauty to finish the game.....that last play by Dale Weise to score the empty netter said it all. He showed a tremendous effort, and managed to stuff the puck into the gaping net, as he beat Colby Robak in the foot race. That was Weise's seventh point in the last five games, and he is stepping up as a veteran this year. Is he on a hot streak? I doubt it. He's a power forward, and that's just the way he can play. This game was awesome through the last 40 minutes!

Overall, again, that first frame has got to be a concern. An elite hockey club can't start hockey games like that. But it counts how you rebound, not how you started, and the guys certainly rebounded. In the end, it's the win that counts. Guys learn every game....it's a long season.

NOTES:

-for once, I can say that game was pretty well officiated despite Brandon HC/GM Kelly McCrimmon being present. He seems to have the officials at arms-length wherever he goes. But this time, except for that non-call on Yeo for instigating in the third period, I thought Nathan Weiler called a decent game.

-the Wheaties put their focus on the Nelson/Weise/Wudrick line for Swift Current. It's a given that Nelson is a target versus the Wheat Kings, but in any case, they kept Nelson and Wudrick eliminated on the scoring.

-credit Travis Yonkman for a huge game. He kept us in it throughout that first period, as previously mentioned, and gave Swift a second chance to win.

-the Broncos are missing Derek Claffey on the back end. He sat out with injury, and you can sense that they are missing that stay-home type guy in the back. He solidifies the defense, and on top of that, has played really well lately. I talked to Claf during the game, and he hopes to be back versus Calgary this Tuesday. Fingers crossed......

-I finally had the chance to meet Keegan Dansereau in person last night in the stands. It's been a long time coming. Thanks Dans!

-it's surprising how the game can turn around. The first period was a joke by our team, and then for the rest of the game, we looked like world beaters. Everyone looked to be on the same page. I guess if you're a good hockey club, you find ways to win.

-it's great to see a win against an Eastern division rival. The Broncos have to start making hay in their own division.

-it should be a great game Sunday night. We owe Saskatoon one, and hopefully no one on the team takes anything for granted. I doubt they will, and I expect a great game.

-to Brandon fans: I'm sorry for that comment on McCrimmon, but it's an opinion of mine which I believe is very true. I know this issue has caused a few explosions on your forum in recent weeks. But do relax. Everyone has opinions, and is entitled to them.

On a sidenote, did anyone see the score between Colorado and Dallas last night??! My phone kept vibrating, as Jussi Jokinen scored FOUR TIMES to help the Stars pick up a 6-1 win. WOW! Oh the wrath of firing a general manager! HAHA. Go Stars!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Brandonite
11-17-2007, 04:05 PM
ever heard of a newspaper? If I typed that much, my hands would be sore for 6 months

WHEATMAN
11-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I can say that game was pretty well officiated despite Brandon HC/GM Kelly McCrimmon being present. He seems to have the officials at arms-length wherever he goes.

Feel free to get over that sometime...

Big Ern
11-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Feel free to get over that sometime...

I did some editing in my post:

-to Brandon fans: I'm sorry for that comment on McCrimmon, but it's an opinion of mine which I believe is very true. I know this issue has caused a few explosions on your forum in recent weeks. But do relax. Everyone has opinions, and is entitled to them.

Hopefully it will help you understand.

sbtatter
11-17-2007, 04:38 PM
How do you think the new tandem GM's for Dallas will work out? Is Hull the token poster boy for the franchise or will he actually be a good GM? It's a bold move anyway!!

Brandonite
11-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I did some editing in my post:

Hopefully it will help you understand.

I could care less what other people post...I agree its your opinion and I do my fare share of dishing out my opinion. It dont bother me at all and it shouldnt bother anyone else...we're all fans and we all support our team and this is just excitement for the fans

Big Ern
11-17-2007, 04:51 PM
How do you think the new tandem GM's for Dallas will work out? Is Hull the token poster boy for the franchise or will he actually be a good GM? It's a bold move anyway!!

SCOUT: I know this is not WHL-related, but hopefully you'll be gracious enough not to delete it. I promise it's the last one.

First of all, I think the firing of Armstrong was a bit early. Granted, he didn't do enough to sign guys this summer, but he needed some more time. The third-highest point total in the league in the last three years.....among other things is what makes me think that. He didn't do well in playoffs, and eventually the rope runs out, I guess. I doubt that owner Tom Hicks is a hockey guy though. He has a heavy Texas drawl and is probably clueless about the game. He is a businessman. The Stars are probably 1/100 of his financial worries. He's loaded. (is worth well over $1 BILLION!!)

Hull and Jackson? I have confidence in Jackson...he has LOADS of experience. But hopefully this is only an "interim" tandem, like the owner mentioned....all because of Brett Hull. I would like Les Jackson as a GM, but Hull in there? NO WAY. He's JUST gotten out of the game...how can you hire him in a GM position in the NHL??!! On top of that, he's one of those guys that I can't stand. He has that air about him that pi*ses me off.

I'm sure they'll be fine though...they'll find a way. Their coaching staff is the best in the league. Numbers don't lie.

I gotta brag here...Dave Tippett, Mark Lamb, and Rick Wilson......all SASKATCHEWANIANS!!!

Duster
11-18-2007, 02:12 PM
how were the tilts in this game? i see weise and yeo went?

Scout
11-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Smith/Erb:

It looked like Smith asked Erb to go on the faceoff. The Broncos had a slow start and i think Smith challenged Erb to try and fire up the team a bit. They dropped them and went at it toe o toe. Erb threw more punches but the ones Smith threw were very hard and accurate. I call it a draw and i give Erb credit for standing in there as Smith is pretty tough.

Wiese/Yeo:

This started after Wiese hit Fehr hard into the end boards. Yeo came to his team mates defence. He caught Wiese off guard as he dropped the gloves before laying the challenge. I had heard so much on how tough Yeo was butg once Wiese realized what was going on he obliged and started throwing back. This was also a draw with what i call no clear winner. Some have given Wiese a slight edge and i give Yeo a slight edge so i'll say a draw. No damage in either fight.

Scout

Duster
11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
great thanks for the recap scout!