PDA

View Full Version : Nov.17 Giants 1 at Everett 2

Swando
11-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Kramer Barnstable got the start tonight in a typical |Giants/Tips game. Reffed by Chris Savage one would expect a few bad calls against the Gmen and such was the case.
Barnstable was not to blame for the lose in any sense but I wish as most of us do, that the Giants would play like they do when they are down a goal ...when the score is even. The 3rd period was the only one worth watching.
The Giants healthy scratches tonight were Czbiere, Gervais and Schnieder. Giants outshot the Tips in the 1st period 10-7 however with the Giants taking 3 penalties the Tips had the play advantage and scoring chances. With CPZ in the box for interference a point shot was stopped by KB but he was high out of the net allowing an easy tap in by Bauer of the Tips. The lines in the 1st were as follows:
Kane Bliznak Repik
Bouma CPZ Machacek
Cloud Henry Paluso
Hunt Wright Cunningham
The 2nd was very similar to the 1st in that both teams seemed to play a cat and mouse game..waiting for the other to make a mistake. Brube made a gaff late in the 2nd causing a 2 on 1 . Harper went wide on Schira and centered a perfect pass to Beach who capitalized. Penalties were 1 each and the shots were in favor of the Tips 7-5. Hay mixed up the lines a bit but it still was the Bliznak/Repik combo that seemed to be the only danger we had..which wasn’t much..for either team.
The 3rd was all Giants ...however referee SAVAGE did manage to squelch the Giants effort early with penalties. In adding my Savage statement the Giants never gave up and finally beat Irving late in the period when a PP point shot from Blum was deflected in by Wright. Shortly after with Giants pressing Tips took a too many men of the ice penalty and allowed the G men to finish with a PP. A very exciting finish as was the 3rd in general. Several late chances were turned aside by Irving and the buzzer went with the Giants outshooting the Tips 8-1.
Final shots on goal were 23-15 for the Giants. Giants had 7 penalties...Tips 5

3 Stars were:
1. Irving
2. Barnstable
3. Beach

Knuckles Muldoon
11-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Just back from Everett.
The Giants played a patient game tonight, perhaps too patient. They didn't get the forecheck established and didn't create many dangerous chances until the last 10 minutes of the game when they finally started to play with some urgency. Was surprised to see Barnstable in goal. Although he didn't cost the team the game, he sure doesn't inspire much confidence. Several times he whiffed on shots that barely went over the crossbar. How he gets the second star is beyond me. Everett out-grinded the Giants and showed the type of grit that they are known for lacking. They won more one-on-one puck battles than the Giants did, which was disappointing. Blum had another sensational game. Let's face it: he is the glue that holds this team together. Regner (as usual) was solid too. But some of the other Dmen really struggled. Berube was stumbling around like the town drunk and Palazzo handed the puck away badly similar to the way he did Friday in the third period against Chilliwack. Scholten also looked shaky. Bliznak and Hunt had rough nights as both were bounced around repeatedly.
Now about CPZ. This guy is a huge question mark. He had a poor game, despite Hayzer throwing him out there plenty in all circumstances. He was very slow out there and didn't threaten to score. When he's on the ice, there is virtually no chance to establish a forecheck because he just plain doesn't have the footspeed to get in and cut people off and get hits in. Put plainly, he looked like he didn't belong out there. It doesn't matter how smart he might be, when can't get around to make plays, it doesn't matter what goes on between his ears. My buddy watching with me said he looked like a slug, and he did. He'd better start reacting a whole lot quicker and thinking a whole lot less or he'll be waived out of here in no time. And let's not even talk about his intensity level, which is virtually non-existent. After two games, I'm skeptical he's going to work out here.
Overall, not a bad game and not a great one. Probably not a whole lot different from Friday's game against the Bruins. Although the Tips only got 15 shots on goal, they were the better team on the night.

dondo
11-18-2007, 03:31 AM
half-listened to this one on the radio, did not sound like the most scintillating hockey (Tips get one whole shot on net in the third? talk about sitting back to protect a lead -- that ain't hockey imo)

good to hear some of the details above though thanks swando and knuckles

oh and listening to the game I could tell that Savage was showboating and sucking big butt as usual.

here's my take on things:
Tips Edge-out Giants (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/November_17_TipsbkEdge-outbkGiants_167.html)

Tips Edge-out Giants - VGHQ
Vancouver 1 Everett 2

Don Robinson

The Tips scored goals in the first and second periods and it was enough to get them the win down in Everett at the Everett Events centre, now being called Comcast Arena. Newest Silvertip Clayton Bauer, acquired in a trade with Red deer which saw Brendan Sonne and Matt Strong go the other way for Bauer and a draft pick, scored the first goal of the game on the PP. Chris Savage was in his usual form calling crap, and even calling a trip from the opposite end of the ice when the “trip” happened right in front of the other ref (Steve Papp). He’s a piece of work this one, he’s the worst of all refs as he’s likes to be the show. He called that majority of the penalties and by the sounds of it they were pretty damn suspect most of the time. Curious how the Giants can play a tight-checking game at home in front of competent refs and not get the calls, but get them anywhere near Savage and they are interfering all over the ice. Rehman and Zalaski revisited in my mind, useless over-compensating officials who like to be the star of the show. Papp certainly drew the short straw for a partner tonight. The Silvertips padded their lead when consummate pest Kyle Beach put the puck past Barnstable who by all accounts was not at fault for the goals against, but seeing only 15 shots total it kind of makes me scratch my head about that.

The Tips managed only a single shot on net in the third, talk about playing a defensive game, and it was the only period in which they were scored upon. James Wright finally broke Leland Irving’s goose-egg late in the third assisted by Jonathon Blum. It was not a PP goal, but came right as the penalty against Ius had expired. That was all the Giants would get on the night as it was frequently said that the goalies were the best players on their respective teams. No fisticuffs, crappy reffing and cowbells galore, not exactly a game for the ages.

The Giants out shot the home team 23-15. They went 0 for 4 on the PP, while the Tips went 1 for 6. The Giants play their third in three tomorrow back at home, when they take on the Kelowna Rockets. Puck drops at 5pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Leland Irving
2. Kraymer Barnstable
3. Kyle Beatch

longtimefan7
11-18-2007, 04:18 AM
Watching the game on livestream....they must have shown a different game. Barnstable played a good game. He gave the team a chance to win. Blum, Regner, Schira, and Berube, all had average games. Each and everyone of them lost battles in their own zone as well as in the neutral zone. Palazzo was getting caught flat footed way tooooo often with some pretty bad passing as well. Scholten didn't cost the team anything really, but looked a little nervous out there. The Silvertips were beating the forwards to the puck all night...not just CPZ...
First goal Blum didn't have his man tied up and second goal Berube fell creating a 2 on 1 against Schira. The pp did nothing all game...not many chances were given...but still nothing. The PK faultered once...not bad...Maybe time to change up some personnel on the specialty units to get everyone back on track. Tough loss.

Swando
11-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Watching the game on livestream....they must have shown a different game. Barnstable played a good game. He gave the team a chance to win. Blum, Regner, Schira, and Berube, all had average games. Each and everyone of them lost battles in their own zone as well as in the neutral zone. Palazzo was getting caught flat footed way tooooo often with some pretty bad passing as well. Scholten didn't cost the team anything really, but looked a little nervous out there. The Silvertips were beating the forwards to the puck all night...not just CPZ...
First goal Blum didn't have his man tied up and second goal Berube fell creating a 2 on 1 against Schira. The pp did nothing all game...not many chances were given...but still nothing. The PK faultered once...not bad...Maybe time to change up some personnel on the specialty units to get everyone back on track. Tough loss.

If you happened to read my re-cap I think we saw the same game. I also watched it on web-cast

Swando
11-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Knuckles: I thot the same thing watching CPZ...that man is this guy a slug. I was hoping that it was the internet feed ...as I missed seeing him live vs. Wack

rinkrat
11-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Best thing they could do with Hypen is park him on the bench till they get a PP or have a crucial faceoff. The guy never loses a draw. He has absolutely no wheels and does not fit the Giants heavy forecheck system. Perhaps he's trade bait?

Knuckles Muldoon
11-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Knuckles: I thot the same thing watching CPZ...that man is this guy a slug. I was hoping that it was the internet feed ...as I missed seeing him live vs. Wack

Swannie, CPZ is just a slow-footed player. Add that to the fact that he doesn't react quickly on the ice and you've got a huge problem. If he gets the puck on an odd-man rush, the whole play gets bogged down. If the Giants are down low working a cycle, and the puck comes to him, he's slow to react and find the next open man. And as I mentioned, he single-handedly kills an effective forecheck. I guess we've got to give him more time, but I'm not sure the problems he has out there can be rectified. In the meantime, there's no way I'd be putting him out there to kill penalties, and I'd be curtailling his 5-on-5 time as well, at least until he can prove he can get up to speed. So far in the two games, Don is giving him plenty of opportunity to play and all I've seen is that he's really struggling to be effective.

dondo
11-19-2007, 12:57 AM
don't agree about CPZ -- he got a star today (Rockets game) and he was looking good, he just isn't a fast-looking skater, but that said I rarely if ever see him trailing behind the play to get back into the mix.

He glides into the offensive zone too much for my liking, but I think he's used to playing BCHL level hockey where one out of five guys might be his level instead of the WHL level where most of the guys on the ice can do what he can do or at the very least cover what he can do.

Made a few really good passes and looked okay playing the PK as well ( I was shaking my head at that, but his positioning was very good and he wasn't hesitant to throw the puck down the ice, unlike Bliznak who had a weak game and tried to make a risky pass while on the PK -- get it down the freaking ice Mario.

sman111
11-19-2007, 01:30 AM
In my opinion on saturday CPZ did not look to good but then again neither did the whole team, but he played much better tonight. Another thing that bothered me was the amount of shots that Repik took that didn't hit the net I mean I know that he has a good shot but he seems to be shooting from any and everywhere he can do so much more than just fire shots from any angle. On a side note though I went to my first game in Everett and I have to say that there fans are really great I mean there so nice and polite to everyone in a Giants jersey, theres the odd person that talks trash but I was expecting alot more than that and a great building too definatley be going back.