PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Lee Adjusting

Scout
11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Sun, November 18, 2007

Coming of ageJeff Lee has learned the ropes from veterans at all levels of the game
By JASON HILLS, SUN MEDIA

Jeff Lee will finally be able to be a guy who can be counted on.

Not that he wasn't counted on during his two seasons in the Alberta Junior Hockey League with Drayton Valley and Sherwood Park, or last season when he suited up with the Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks. It's just he has always been that young guy who's had to play behind a lot of veterans.

Now the 19-year-old Calgary native has come to the Oil Kings looking to be that veteran impact player.

"Being a younger guy you don't always get those chances to shine, but playing alongside older veteran players you tend to learn a lot. Everywhere I have played I have always played with good veteran players," said Lee.

"As a young guy I just tried to look up to the strong veteran role models and it makes you mature a lot."

SPEEDSTER

Lee, who stands six-foot-two and 210 pounds, is a strong skater. Two seasons ago he won the fastest skater competition at the Canadian Junior A top prospects game.

He also brings a soft touch around the net.

He'll be given an opportunity to be an offensive leader on the Oil Kings and he will also bring some much needed size to their lineup up front.

"I want to be a part of everything. I expect myself to chip in offensively, but I want to be just as good defensively to help this team win," said Lee.

Last season with the Nanooks he played 34 games and recorded two goals and four assists and 32 penalty minutes. After an off-season coaching move, he found himself on the outside looking in come this season.

"Alaska was a lot of fun, I had my brother (Aaron) up there with me, but in my second year the two coaches that recruited me left, so I thought this situation would be best for me," said Lee.

"Living and playing up there was a neat experience. I wasn't sure if I wasn't going to be able to handle to the cold, but it was more the darkness. There are a lot of days up there where there wasn't much sunlight."

Lee had high expectations when he originally committed as a 17-year-old, playing for the Crusaders. He envisioned himself getting an opportunity to continue his education and be able to play alongside his brother.

"They invested four years into me, and I was getting an education, and playing in the NCAA was something I always wanted to do, but it doesn't always work out the way you want it to," said Lee.

Despite not posting a point through his first three games in an Oil Kings uniform, head coach Steve Pleau isn't too worried about his newest player.

'SIMPLE GAME'

"He's been excellent," said Pleau. "As a coaching staff, he's exactly the player we are looking for. He plays a very north, south simple game; he finishes his checks and goes to the net hard."

Lee has fit in nicely on a line with Clayton Cumiskey and Brett Breitkreuz, forming another solid scoring line for the Oil Kings.

In their 4-3 loss to the Red Deer Rebels earlier this week, Lee showed off his prolific speed and his ability to work the puck down low.

"We have seen a lot of great things from him early on. I think sometimes we want him to be a little more selfish and shoot the puck, but that will come in time," said Pleau.

"He's a kid who works hard every shift and you can tell every time he's out on the ice he's excited to be here."

KINGS' COURT

- The Thunderbirds have four NHL draftees, three of which are first-round picks. Leading the way is Thomas Hickey who was taken fourth overall by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2007 draft, goaltender Riku Helenius who was taken 15th overall by Tampa Bay in 2006, as well as Jim O'Brien who was taken 29th overall this past season by the Ottawa Senators. Forward Bud Holloway was selected in the third round by Los Angeles this past season.

- The Thunderbirds have four local players on their roster. Defenceman Sena Acolatse (Edmonton), forwards Josh Lazowski (Leduc), Lindsay Neilson (Edmonton) and Charles Wells (Edmonton).