PDA

View Full Version : Reimer

Red celtic
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
There is a good chance that Reimer will be traded by the trade deadline. With that in mind what do you think he is worth via the trade route? Are we looking at first or secound line forward or a top three defencemen or what kind of draft pick are we talking about? I would like to see something more on the backend.
punk rock dancing pi clrkth

SectionNDeserter
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I have to agree about the more help on the back end statement. We have a decent selection of 'but' defensemen;

Cullen Morin is good on the power play BUT he has been terrible in his own end, especially on the boards when there is any sort of pressure on him.

Mike Scarborough is a pretty good skater for a big guy, and is quite physical BUT he is very slow to make decisions at times.

Luke Egener is good at staying with his man as they cross the blueline BUT he is unable to pass the puck, and coughs it up all the time, and is dreadful on the boards and penalty kill.

Dallas Jackson has a very good shot from the point BUT he is very weak on the boards doesn't seem to have the greatest conditioning.

Mark Louis is very good at checking with his stick, and is great on the boards and tough in front of the net BUT he is an average skater, and doesn't create a lot of scoring chances (and this is his final WHL season).

Joel Kot is competent in his own end, has good mobility and is good at moving the puck BUT he is very small for a defenseman and needs to get a lot stronger.

The rest haven't really played enough to make a comment one way or the other, but for the most part mirror one of these defensemen or the other. Another thing to note is that we haven't had a defenseman with the confidence or ability or even potential to step up and just put a guy on his ass since Phaneuf was here, not even close.

All of the younger of these defensemen will likely get better in their weaker areas as they gain experience, and you certainly need some of these guys on your team, and most of them will become serviceable WHL defensemen. That being said, I see a few of our forwards being selected in the NHL entry draft one day--but I really can't say the same for any of our defensemen. If we do deal Reimer, my hopes are that it would be for an 18 year old or younger defenseman that is either NHL drafted already, or projected to be drafted in the upcoming NHL draft.

rebelfan
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Who in the league needs a drafted goalie? Would have to be a contending team to be willing to pay the price I think. And if so, how soon would they be looking for a trade...before trade deadline? Can Morgan carry the team? Esp. if Aime were to come in as his backup? Aime's stats aren't exactly phenom on his BC team. I think we are okay if not spectacular on the backend but we desperately need scoring power. How often have we scored more than 2 goals this season? Not often...to win we have to score.

Rattlesnake
11-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Aime's stats aren't exactly phenom on his BC team.

Actually they're horrible.
GAA = 5.36
SV% = .869

Not counting Eidsness, best in the system is
Adam Gingras up in Bonnyville
GAA = 2.54
SV% = .901

Even Rolheiser's are a lot better than Aime's
GAA = 3.29
SV% = .889

SectionNDeserter
11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
It is really difficult to gauge a player's talent by stats they have accumulated in a lower league of hockey like that. There would be some pretty questionable players playing in front of him (and against him for that matter). All that aside, I think that Rollheiser did fine in training camp, and could easily backup Clark if it came down to it--but they must have acquired Aime for some reason.

Rattlesnake
11-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Junior A isn't that much lower, there are a lot of talented players there too. In any case, the comparison between 3 guys playing Junior A should be somewhat relative.

Aime does play for a crappy team in Alberni but their other goalie's stats ain't near as bad, not even close. His stats last year in PA weren't "phenom" either. If there's a reason to pick him up, I don't see it.

Brandonite
11-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Junior A isn't that much lower, there are a lot of talented players there too. In any case, the comparison between 3 guys playing Junior A should be somewhat relative.

Aime does play for a crappy team in Alberni but their other goalie's stats ain't near as bad, not even close. His stats last year in PA weren't "phenom" either. If there's a reason to pick him up, I don't see it.

Junior A is a joke compared to Major Junior. The AJHL & BCHL are by far the best Junior A leagues in Canada but the MJHL & SJHL are very weak! Obviously there are some real talented players that play Junior A that could very easily be playing Major Junior somewhere but choose to play Junior A instead to keep College options open. But it is no where near calibre that people think it is, which is why all these guys that dont stick in the WHL that go down to Junior A and end up lighting it up but never could in the WHL. Take a guy like Bryan Kauk for example. Played 3 years in the WHL for 3 different teams and did NOTHING the whole team he played. Hes with Dauphin Kings now and has something around 60 points in 25 games. You can't compare the two.

Tinner
11-22-2007, 07:29 AM
I think, for the obvious reason's, that the Rebels will trade the goalie who would command the most in a trade, that being Reimer. Without getting to deep into it, there is speculation that a trade will happen, within the division and involve a former Red Deer minor hockey product and others. Whether or not other players from here are involved really doesn't matter as long as we improve our skill level.

RebelsFan
11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I would have to say that Reimer's trade value was higher before the season started. He has played Ok this year but nothing stellar. I would think we would have to throw in Mappin to get anything in return. I don't know how much you would get back for just Reimer by himself. Great kid though and the organization would be losing a fine young man, if and when he does leave. I would think the Rebels would have talked to Aime before the trade with PA so I see the trade being made sooner than later.

rebelfan
11-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I am sure a trades a coming and it will alter the dressing room for sure. We'll have to see if it makes things better. Somethings not right in the organization and the sooner they figure it out, the better. The team needs stability. At this point they have two players who have been there for more than 2 seasons and there has already been speculation about giving them up. When you look around the league most teams have a core group who have moved up from their rookie year and are still with the team 2, 3 and 4 years down the road. This is the core group that most teams rely on to lead in scoring and be the bulkwork on defense while slipping in the young guys into these lines and mentoring them to eventually take over. The Rebels badly need to establish a core group and go with it (from the goaltenders out). There is too much movement this year for the team to settle down and get to forming a solid team with an identity. Right now the Rebels look adrift in a life boat a mile out from shore while most(not all) other teams in the dub are well out to sea in sturdy vessels picking up speed.

JustMe
11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I am sure a trades a coming and it will alter the dressing room for sure. We'll have to see if it makes things better. Somethings not right in the organization and the sooner they figure it out, the better. The team needs stability. At this point they have two players who have been there for more than 2 seasons and there has already been speculation about giving them up. When you look around the league most teams have a core group who have moved up from their rookie year and are still with the team 2, 3 and 4 years down the road. This is the core group that most teams rely on to lead in scoring and be the bulkwork on defense while slipping in the young guys into these lines and mentoring them to eventually take over. The Rebels badly need to establish a core group and go with it (from the goaltenders out). There is too much movement this year for the team to settle down and get to forming a solid team with an identity. Right now the Rebels look adrift in a life boat a mile out from shore while most(not all) other teams in the dub are well out to sea in sturdy vessels picking up speed.

The unfortunate part is and RD team and management can cover up as much they want, it is a business, and eventhough they may say it is a rebuilding year, when the stands are empty and the team is losing, they start panicking. Then the rebuilding idea flows out the door.......you cannot expect a "rookie" team to be winning all the time and then go and trade left right and centre because you are now panicking. The team lost numerous games by just one goal right in the beginning and until recent. That doesn't mean go and trade a bunch of them, it just means perservere they are going to get over that hump sooner than later. Now kids are flying out the door that could've stayed, they've added so-called help or scoring power and the scores are still the same if not poorer. So what does that tell us.......could've just kept the whole bunch together right off the bat and by now they could've "gelled" and by mid December I am sure they could've been where these guys are still at. Just frustrating. Stop the insanity.........!!!!!! :mad:

JustMe
11-22-2007, 12:12 PM
and by mid December I am sure they could've been where these guys are still at. Just frustrating. Stop the insanity.........!!!!!! :mad:

I meant..... by mid December I am sure they could be where these guys are still at or beyond - in other words have broken the "one game spell" and have conquered the "hump"

Red celtic
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
When making a trade like this you have to consider a number of varables. Will Reimer be in the league next year. Is Clark ready to lead this team in the goaltending department. What kind of value will we get for him right know. The team has been in a state of flux for the whole season so maybe this is the time to to be a little insane and move him to improve the team. The people I talk to still have some faith in the management and are willing to stay in the stands to see what will happen.

rebelfan
11-22-2007, 01:52 PM
The team lost numerous games by just one goal right in the beginning and until recent. That doesn't mean go and trade a bunch of them, it just means perservere they are going to get over that hump sooner than later. Now kids are flying out the door that could've stayed, they've added so-called help or scoring power and the scores are still the same if not poorer.

What is it with the turn in starting goaltenders...you have a drafted 3rd year starter who's numbers are not bad and you play your back up more? Maybe the bigger difference in scores in games recently also have something to do with playing an over 3GAA tender and sitting your go to guy. I could see it if Clark's stats were way ahead but he's sitting in the basement. Is Reimer injured? See he's hardly played at all lately.

SectionNDeserter
11-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I have no clue what this throng of players some of you are talking about that are being moved off the team.... So far this season we have seen a left winger that wasn't going to see much WHL action at all this season moved in Fraser, a 4th line winger in Betts, and a #8 or 9 defenseman that was seeing limited action as a forward in Stebner moved. A few character players added for free or late round picks here and there as well. This is not a lot of movement really, and we haven't we really moved any core players yet.

Reimer has played well this season, and if he doesn't have to stop 5 or 6 breakaways a game, he usually has kept this young team in most games he has started in. I think the real question here is, is having an experienced, NHL drafted goaltender really going to get this team into the playoffs at this point? I really don't think it is, and I think that Clark is developing at a rate that he will be at the very least as good, if not better than Reimer by this time next season. Also this team really doesn't have any of the tools to really do much else in the playoffs besides say that they didn't miss them. Since Reimer will be worth pretty much NOTHING as an overage goaltender next season, it really doesn't make any sense to hang on to him this season, provided we can bring in a half decent backup for Clark so that he doesn't get burned out.

As for the comments about the attendance, this isn't really a new problem, its just more noticeable because it has been worsened by having a struggling young team. There have been around 800-1000 empty seats per night on average, but most are bought and paid for, which is really the most important thing--getting the people who bought them to use them would be nice, but it is just a secondary thing. The bulk of the empty seats are season tickets that have been purchased by a companies to give to their employees or clients. These are not die-hard hockey fans, so when the team is not one of the top teams, the chances of them being used is considerably lower than when the bandwagon starts up again! :D

rebelfan
11-22-2007, 06:50 PM
SND...do you work in the Rebel office?

SectionNDeserter
11-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Nope, just a long time Rebel fan. If I were, I don't think they would be too happy with some of the things I have said in the past about some of the players. :D

dubnut
11-24-2007, 02:50 AM
What is it with the turn in starting goaltenders...you have a drafted 3rd year starter who's numbers are not bad and you play your back up more? Maybe the bigger difference in scores in games recently also have something to do with playing an over 3GAA tender and sitting your go to guy. I could see it if Clark's stats were way ahead but he's sitting in the basement. Is Reimer injured? See he's hardly played at all lately.

Interesting point.. I checked out some of the other teams. Most seem to rely quite heavily on their starter...including Vancouver who could afford to play their b/up more I think with the lead they have in the league. Irving has a similar record as Reimer yet has played almost twice the minutes. Rowat, identical numbers, over 1200 minutes. Yonkman, Lazaruk, Maniago, Caliguri, Pickard, Esposito, Butler, Leclerc & Archibald all have between 1200-1400 minutes by now...in some cases even if the back ups records are better(Kamloops), the #1 still gets the consistent starts. Very interesting when you are losing so many games that a team can afford to depend on an unproven youngster at the expense of a 19 year old vet (Clark has a 3.32GAA to Reimer's 2.75 and has played 905 minutes to Reimer's 851) Does it speak of jitters on the bench?..like someone mentioned..when panic sets in and rebuilding flows out the door. If management can't show confidence, how can the team play with confidence? Clark has made some significant strides in his game, no doubt but he's 17 and inexperienced in leading. Who led the team to 7 games in the post season against the eventual WHL champions? Something no other team did in the entire playoffs except Vancouver. That should instill some confidence somewhere. This team needs someone to lean on.

WHL Rules
11-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Interesting point.. I checked out some of the other teams. Most seem to rely quite heavily on their starter...including Vancouver who could afford to play their b/up more I think with the lead they have in the league. Irving has a similar record as Reimer yet has played almost twice the minutes. Rowat, identical numbers, over 1200 minutes. Yonkman, Lazaruk, Maniago, Caliguri, Pickard, Esposito, Butler, Leclerc & Archibald all have between 1200-1400 minutes by now...in some cases even if the back ups records are better(Kamloops), the #1 still gets the consistent starts. Very interesting when you are losing so many games that a team can afford to depend on an unproven youngster at the expense of a 19 year old vet (Clark has a 3.32GAA to Reimer's 2.75 and has played 905 minutes to Reimer's 851) Does it speak of jitters on the bench?..like someone mentioned..when panic sets in and rebuilding flows out the door. If management can't show confidence, how can the team play with confidence? Clark has made some significant strides in his game, no doubt but he's 17 and inexperienced in leading. Who led the team to 7 games in the post season against the eventual WHL champions? Something no other team did in the entire playoffs except Vancouver. That should instill some confidence somewhere. This team needs someone to lean on.

No offense, but Reimer didn't lead this team in the Play-offs last season. On the contrary, he was probably the weakest link on the team.
In the end the better goaltender won the series, because Keetly actually stepped his play up when it counted. Now I'm not saying that they should trade him or that Reimer isn't a talented goaltender but he didn't have a good PO (3,88 GAA - 0,871 SV%).

SectionNDeserter
11-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Who led the team to 7 games in the post season against the eventual WHL champions?.Gotta go with WHL Rules on this one, it was Martin Hanzal and Kirill Starkov that led them to 7 games in the post season against the eventual WHL champs. Reimer stopped the ones he had to, but he didn't steal any games like Keetley did.

It hasn't been without exception, but the team itself seems to play a lot tighter defensively with Clark behind them. Clark has seen a few more shots, but a lot fewer breakaways and 2-on-1's (and 2 on nones) than Reimer. While Reimer can handle a few of these for the most part, I don't think it is a habit that many coaches like to see their team get into. I think the real reason that Clark and Reimer have split time pretty much evenly this season so far, is that I feel Reimer isn't in the team's plans for next season, whether that is because of what the team has heard from the Leafs, or their desire to use the overage slot for another overage forward or defenseman.

Rebrevs
11-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Reimer has not proven to me that he is the absolute "go to" guy. There are times when I watch him and he frustrates me. Especially, when he loses sight of the puck. He seems to get frozen in one spot as he frantically looks around. I understand the need to find site of the puck but I don't like the "frozen" part. I would rather he got into a defensive position at the very least, with the hope that the puck might hit him.

Heck, I'm not remotely a goalie. I'm just saying that I see this happen to him often and it gives me a real insecure feeling about his abilities.

Just as add on.....I think one of the reasons why it appeared Clarke was taking over as the number one goalie was that Reimer was injured. At least that is what I heard.

dubnut
11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
No offense, but Reimer didn't lead this team in the Play-offs last season. On the contrary, he was probably the weakest link on the team.

Some clarification, I didn't mean he led as in being the best player, but he was the goaltender in all 7 games and he didn't get blown out and Keetley was playing behind a MUCH better team and Keetley's team barely squeaked past that series. All the same, I don't think Reimer was the weakest link either. My point was more that as a goaltender who established himself in the league last year (& I didn't see him play very much, just follow stats,etc) is seeing a lot less ice time than his counterparts elsewhere in the league and does this contribute to the weakness of the team. If he was injured recently that could account for the recent lack of starts. Hppe he's okay.

RDRebelsfan
11-25-2007, 01:58 AM
certainly sounds like he kept them in it tonight.

dubnut
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Rebrevs]Reimer has not proven to me that he is the absolute "go to" guy. There are times when I watch him and he frustrates me. Especially, when he loses sight of the puck. He seems to get frozen in one spot as he frantically looks around. I understand the need to find site of the puck but I don't like the "frozen" part. I would rather he got into a defensive position at the very least, with the hope that the puck might hit him.

Heck, I'm not remotely a goalie. I'm just saying that I see this happen to him often and it gives me a real insecure feeling about his abilities.
QUOTE]

I am wondering what 'Reimer' you guys are referring to. I happened to take in the game in Calgary last night. Not the go to guy? Weakest link on the team? Loses sight of the puck? Frozen? Not the Reimer I saw last night! Simply amazing is all I can say about his play. It was a toss up of whether to watch the jumbotron for contstant replays or watch the show on the ice. The Hitmen website said it took 44 shots to get the first goal past him and it was a deflection off his own defenceman. The 2nd goal was scored with 3 people sitting on top of him. And believe me the shots were very conservative at 49. The Rebel site doesn't even mention the game, much less their goaltender. My advise to you guys would be to 'stand by your man'.

Rebrevs
11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Went to the game and would agree that Reimer was sensational. Refs weren't. But anyways, Reimer should have sensational games. I'm not questioning his innate ability. He is a drafted goalie. What I'm saying is he should be having more sensational games than just one. I watch him on a regular basis and in my opinion he HAS NOT been consistent enough. He DOES fight the puck at times. For a drafted goalie, to me, he should be having more of those sensational games than just the odd one. Just my opinion.

3rebels
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Just my opinion.We took in the game last night, Sat with some Hitmen fans and they could not believe that Reims wasn't #1 Star. QUOTE" The pickers must have their heads up their a**" UNQUOTE. I agree and unfortunately we were in Calgary which explains why !!!! :spineyes: . The ticket price was $35.00 a pop and the game was like SLOMO. Yes, it was more fun watching the Jumbotron for replays. Looked like the Rebels for the most part did not want to be there. Paly one or the other goalie and get the team on a winning track. Hopefully they can get their groove going soon or the end of the season will be upon us. Boogaard'd