PDA

View Full Version : Hard Work Pays Off...Finally!

WestLEAFfan
11-23-2007, 06:55 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105357&Itemid=564

Cougars sticking with Cyr
(Sports) Thursday, 22 November 2007, 21:37 PST
JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor
The Prince George Cougars are going with Real Cyr in net tonight in Kamloops.

In these parts, where a goaltender controversy is brewing, that counts as news.

Head coach Drew Schoneck will start Cyr, the 20-year-old veteran who has the worst statistics in the WHL among goalies with 480 minutes or more, over Tommy Tartaglione, following a gut feeling along with a recollection of how Cyr has performed in his career at the Interior Savings Centre, home of the rival Blazers.

Based on the win-and-you’re-in philosophy Schoneck has referred to since Tartaglione was acquired from the Edmonton Oil Kings, the 19-year-old lefty would get the call since Cyr was the goalie of record as the Cats ran their season-worst losing streak to eight games last weekend.

Cyr has a 4.68 goals-against average and an .864 save-percentage, along with a 5-9 win-loss record -- none of those appearance this season against the Blazers. Tartaglione is 4-8 with a 3.35 average and .900 stoppage rate.

Cyr stopped 44 shots in a 3-2 loss in Tri-City last Friday, then blocked 31 of 36 in a 5-1 defeat in Spokane. That makes tonight’s start the third-straight for Cyr, who is in his fourth season in a Cougars jersey.

“Real hasn’t been over-thinking out there, and has been making the first save instead of trying to think three saves ahead,” said Schoneck, whose team closes a six-game road swing with tonight’s game and a Saturday date in Kelowna.

“When he’s on his game, he’s making the first save and then the second and third if they come at him. It is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business, and he knows Tommy has come in and played some good hockey for us. That was our hope when we brought Tommy in, was that it would make both of them better, and to a point it has done that.

“Sure, there’s some sentimentality with what Real has done for this organization, along with how hard he works and how much he’s given to this team. Sometimes 20-year-olds get a mindset that it will be easier, when really it isn’t.”

Schoneck said fan opinion does not make the call, but he acknowledged the team is aware Tartaglione has been getting the louder cheers from CN Centre faithful.

“We have to be true to ourselves and our fans -- they want to see winning hockey, and so do we,” said Schoneck.

“The fans are entitled to their opinion. We do things that may look, from a fan standpoint, like ‘what the hell are those guys thinking.’ Common sense will probably say that Tommy is the guy (tonight), but with Real’s experience and success against Kamloops, as recently as last year’s playoffs and over the years, it’s hard to ignore that he plays his best hockey there. Hopefully he can get on track there.”

Cyr will have defenceman Jesse Dudas (leg) and 17-year-old centre Jan Kupec (concussion) on the ice with him tonight, as the two return from injury. Evan Fuller (groin) and Dale Hunt (hand) won’t play this weekend.

“Kupec will be back, and Jesse is 50-50, though we’re hopeful there -- his leg still hurts,” said Schoneck. “Evan is out, and Dale just got the cast off his hand and he’s another two weeks away. With Evan, I really have no idea how long it will be.”

The coach has spent the week trying to erase the ugly eight from his players’ heads, planning for this not to become a nasty nine.

“We had a chance to touch on things in practice this week, and that was good for us,” said Schoneck.

“We haven’t talked about the losing streak -- we don’t want the guys to dwell on it. You can use it as a motivational tool because we’re better than an eight-game slide, but you want to be positive and focus on the next game, not the last eight.”

Tonight’s game is the second meeting of the year between the Cats and Blazers, and first since the new Kamloops ownership swept head coach and general manager Dean Clark out of office. Prince George beat Kamloops 8-3 on Nov. 2 with Clark behind the bench and Tartaglione in goal for the Cougars. The Blazers are due at CN Centre to end the pre-Christmas schedule, Dec. 14-15.

I still can't get over the fact that the majority of PG fans are calling for CYR's head. I'm telling you folks, go with this guy if you want to win. He will not quit.

puckmam
11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
I still can't get over the fact that the majority of PG fans are calling for CYR's head. I'm telling you folks, go with this guy if you want to win. He will not quit.
The majority forget who got them to where they ended up last year and that there's more than the goalie on the ice

TwoBits
11-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Let's face it TT is a fan fav because he is a bit of a circus side show, not because he's winning hockey games.

Puckmam is right, there is more to the team than just the goalie. I think they are playing Cyr because he's the kind of role model the team needs. He works hard and wants to be there.

Let's hope the time off, practice, and return of a couple of players will help everyone get back on their game. clrkth

WestLEAFfan
11-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Another lacklustre offensive performance vs the BLAZERS. How can CYR be blamed for this? Hmmm, let me think. Nope, it's definitely not his fault...again. How is he supposed to backstop this team to victory with that number of shots by his teammates? To top it off, I'm willing to predict coach Shoneck goes with TT tonight! :mad:

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Let's hope the time off, practice, and return of a couple of players will help everyone get back on their game. clrkth

Guess not. And tell me, where was Dudas? It's pretty sad that the guy with a Broken Hand is going to be back before him, with his "Charlie Horse" :skeptical , can that even be considered an injury? :rolleyes: Give the kid some magnesium and a glass of water!!!!

I really don't know what to say anymore. (but I'm sure I'll think of something :laugh: )

smileyjones
11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

Let me start by saying I like Real. I have met him a couple of times and he is a personable young man.

But, here are the facts. He has ALWAYS been hot and cold. Forget all this "amazing stuff he has done for the franchise" business. He has NEVER in all his years here been a clear cut #1. This was his time to do it and he has not been up to snuff. Is it all him, no. But he has let in an amazing amount of softies this year. He has been awful, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

This is a what have you done for me lately business, and unfortuneatly the answer is nothing. The problem runs much deeper than in goal, but it is certainly one of the most glaring problems.

WestLEAFfan
11-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

Let me start by saying I like Real. I have met him a couple of times and he is a personable young man.

But, here are the facts. He has ALWAYS been hot and cold. Forget all this "amazing stuff he has done for the franchise" business. He has NEVER in all his years here been a clear cut #1. This was his time to do it and he has not been up to snuff. Is it all him, no. But he has let in an amazing amount of softies this year. He has been awful, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

This is a what have you done for me lately business, and unfortuneatly the answer is nothing. The problem runs much deeper than in goal, but it is certainly one of the most glaring problems.

I'm a CYR fan, and you have hit the nail on the head as far as Real never being the clear cut #1 goalie. What do you think that has done to his confidence? He deserved much more ice time in years past. Now, when he is pencilled in as #1, he is playing on a team where several players don't seem to care. More than likely finger pointing is in his direction by several players, including management, and so it seems by fans. You do not know this young man as well as you think or you would not be in here questioning his play. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. When he does have a stellar game the team in front of him lets him down with there indifferent play. When he has a "stinker" like ALL WHL goalies do from time to time, his team decides on the rare occasion to play well in front of him. If I were him, I'd demand a trade to salvage what is left of his career, before he goes down in COUGAR history as the fall guy for the 2007-2008 season. He deserves a chance and a much better ending to his career. Despite your doubts of CYR, which you are completely entitled to, this young man will never quit.

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 02:24 PM
smileyjones Are you guys COUGARS fans or Cyr fans?

I don't think we are trying to hide the fact that we are CYR fans. Are there any Cougar fans on this forum besides Puckmam? It's pretty sad when there are more people talking on this forum from Victoire SK (population 60) than there are from Prince George!!!!! :burningma

puckmam
11-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't think we are trying to hide the fact that we are CYR fans. Are there any Cougar fans on this forum besides Puckmam? It's pretty sad when there are more people talking on this forum from Victoire SK (population 60) than there are from Prince George!!!!! :burningma
Doesn't seem to be. It's sad that other teams are quicker to post compliments here than COUGS fans.
Is Schoeneck possibly on the same path as Kamloops' latest coach. Returning players must be very frustrated with this years' stats. These kids need to start playing like it's the last game they will ever play and wake up!

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi Puckmam!!! :wave:

Isn't that true, many opposing teams have posted on the PG forum to give the team or individual players a pat on the back. The only thread where I got a bit of action was the one questioning the dedication of the PG fans, and they basically agreed with me. If that was the Raider forum, they would have had my head on a stick!!! :laugh: Gotta love those Raider fans, they are a passionate bunch. :D

You know why I think Schoeneck isn't trading Cyr? Because he doesn't want to send the message to the team - If you care, you're gone!!!

puckmam
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
TwoBits you nailed it and Heaven forbid Cyr does his caring for another team and stops another 44! Yes he has let some soft ones in but if you are looking for perfection look for another team. 9 losses in a row and we have provided every excuse there is :confused:

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 05:41 PM
If they lose tonight I think we could expect some "shake up" news on Monday. They need to do something.

WestLEAFfan
11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
If they lose tonight I think we could expect some "shake up" news on Monday. They need to do something.

I agree TwoBits, it's time for a shake up. I'm a little worried as to what form this shake up may go though. Sometimes common sense doesn't always prevail. :spineyes:

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I agree TwoBits, it's time for a shake up. I'm a little worried as to what form this shake up may go though. Sometimes common sense doesn't always prevail. :spineyes:

Me too.

smileyjones
11-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Ragging on Cyr is going to get me nowhere with this crowd. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or a bank robber or something...HE'S HAVING A BAD YEAR. Not the end of the world but it's true. This also doesn't mean he's a quitter.

Also didn't mean to attack any of the Saskatchewan folks. It's just tough to take sometimes when you all have rose colored glasses to look at one of the players through. I've put out yet another $1000 this year for seasons tickets (up to about $14k now over the years). You guys wonder why no one cares and why the attendance is so low, well if you've followed Cyr during his time here you'll know that last year was the exception, and this year is more the norm. Gee, I can imagine how positive you'd all be after 15 years of this.

TwoBits
11-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey, knock yourself out Smiley. Vent all you want. That's what the forum is for, just don't cry when you get a quick retort from the west. ;)

Why don't you fill us in more. We would love to talk about some of the other players for a change and hear first hand what you see out on the ice. Some guys on the other forums even give their take after each game, I'd love that!!!! It's really hard to get a proper feel from the media reports alone. We have to read between the lines a lot.

We wouldn't abandon Puckmam, uh I mean, the PG fan forum.

Oh, and one more thing. We aren't huge fans of Cyr only because he's a nice guy. I see him sprinting past my house every day in the summer so I know how hard he works and how dedicated he is to this game.

Friends? :frog: (Victoire greeting)

Note: Smiley deleted his original post which I replied to, that's why some of my comments seem a little out there.

puckmam
11-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Ragging on Cyr is going to get me nowhere with this crowd. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or a bank robber or something...HE'S HAVING A BAD YEAR. Not the end of the world but it's true. This also doesn't mean he's a quitter.

Also didn't mean to attack any of the Saskatchewan folks. It's just tough to take sometimes when you all have rose colored glasses to look at one of the players through. I've put out yet another $1000 this year for seasons tickets (up to about $14k now over the years). You guys wonder why no one cares and why the attendance is so low, well if you've followed Cyr during his time here you'll know that last year was the exception, and this year is more the norm. Gee, I can imagine how positive you'd all be after 15 years of this.
I.ve watched and cringed too as Cyr has let in some soft goals but when the frustrations go on one player I stand up. You have made valid points and yes Cyr is having a bad year but the team is far from what it was last year.

They need some sort of a shake up. One win is great but it's a mountain they have yet to climb.

puckmam
11-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey, knock yourself out Smiley. Vent all you want. That's what the forum is for, just don't cry when you get a quick retort from the west. ;)

We wouldn't abandon Puckmam, uh I mean, the PG fan forum.

WestLEAFfan
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM

It's not that we have rose colored glasses at all. I have reliable information when I say CYR is not the scapegoat. Sure, we all know he is having a rough year, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. What I'm saying is that this young man puts his team first, where several of the other COUGARS do not. You will not find a harder working, more dedicated player ANYWHERE in the WHL. His off ice regiment in the summer would make your head spin. I se it first hand, everday. He comes to the rink everyday expecting to play well and win. You don't think he is disgusted with himself and his team mates? He knows full well that he and his entire team are uneracheiving. If he could, he play forward/defence/goalie all himself if he knew it would spark his team. Right now, there are way too many passenges on that team and are not buying into what the coaching staff is teaching. Real is NOT one of them, trust me on that one. Perhaps those disinterested players should stay home after the X-mas break and do us all a favor. BTW, do not take this as a scolding, I really enjoy hearing about the team's plights from someone who sees the games live. Keep your synopsis coming. We enjoy them here in the west!

WestLEAFfan
11-25-2007, 09:50 AM
You two PGer's seem to be the only two to give a darn about this team on this forum. You two should make a couple of big signs about whlfans.ca and dispaly them at the next home game. It would be fun to have others to talk/argue with. :thumb:

puckmam
11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
What were the other 2 forums we used to post on ?

Last year there were several highschool students that used to load up their BBQ and fire it up in the parking lot before games, rain or snow. Sadly they have all moved onto UNBC or school elsewhere and the group has disbanded. Games are no longer a social event for kids. I am sure seeing fans showing up early helped the team. Time to call them for a reunion maybe?

smileyjones
11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I deleted my first post because I spoke a little stronger than I should have, I don't have any reason to attack anyone on here.

Just so you all know, the couple of times I have met Real Cyr have been at the Cougars functions. The last one being the "Skate with the team". Most of the team is really good about talking with the kids, signing autographs, etc. I single out Real as my daughter was too shy to talk to any of the players, and he approached her, had a nice talk with her and took her for a skate. While I'm singling players out Dana Tyrell and Chris Vanduynhoven also took some time for my kids. You'd be amazed at how these young men are looked up to by kids. My point being, although I have been somewhat critical of Real's goaltending to date, I have no doubt whatsoever that he is a fine young man and will be successful in whatever life brings him.

I actually like the makings of this team, they've got some good players but there are definitely some passengers. I think 2-3 smaller deals that change up the room a bit would make all the difference. They can score when they need to, what I think they require is some more "energy" players. They are just too "easy" of a team to play against. If they had the same record they have now but you knew the other team just hated to play against them (win or lose), I would be a lot more satisfied.

TwoBits
11-25-2007, 11:49 AM

You're not, I was just being sarcastic because Smiley made me mad. :o

TwoBits
11-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I actually like the makings of this team, they've got some good players but there are definitely some passengers. I think 2-3 smaller deals that change up the room a bit would make all the difference. They can score when they need to, what I think they require is some more "energy" players. They are just too "easy" of a team to play against. If they had the same record they have now but you knew the other team just hated to play against them (win or lose), I would be a lot more satisfied.

You know what they say, a change is as good as a rest.

Sput
11-26-2007, 02:55 AM
I guess its my turn to sound in.

First and appology to those who seem to think the old posters don't care anymore....some of us have just been plain old to damned busy to spend much time on the computer to do any posting. Email me if you want a comprehensive list of my recent duties, and see how much time you have to be online.

Yes, I too have ragged on Real, as I have the rest of the team. If there were ever a year that this team needed a goalie to steal games for them, this is it. Yes, the forwards have not been getting the job done. The D has been lackluster for the most part. The team as a whole seems to be tuning out the coaches, or they just can't find the chemistry needed to put anything productive on the ice.

Two things I see with the goaltending situation. One, Cyr has never been able to hold onto the #1 position at any time. Last year he was given the job with White as backup/trainee. He stumbled, White faultered, Bowles was brought back into the fold. Once that happened Cyr batteled hard to keep pace. The team infront didn't change. More it seemed Real can't mentally hold the starter job without either letting the softies in, or maybe its trying to hard to 'be the saviour'. The games I have seen this year, both with Tommmy and Real, the team as a whole tends to play better in front of Tommy T. Maybe its the way they know he can scramble. Maybe its the way he can handle the puck and play it to the D. Could be just my preception of it all too, but my preception is my reality.

This team as a whole needs a shake up. What form it will take I don't know, but for this to be a rebuilding year, we sure seem to have a lot of 18/19 year olds hanging around. One good thing about these later aquisitions....they didn't cost anything to pick up as most were castoffs from other teams.

TwoBits
11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Sput I want to apologize to the regular PG posters. I know people are busy doing other things. I just got a little irked when the SK people were being scolded for being here and having an opinion or just plain trying to keep the conversation going.

And as I think I said before. Go ahead, rag on Cyr, we all have our opinions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year when Bowles was brought back in, it wasn't because Real was stumbling, he was injured. Or maybe nobody knew that. They had to bring Bowles in so he wouldn't play injured when White couldn't get the job done.

And, I do agree with you. The team needs a shake up. I've had time to get used to the idea of Cyr going someplace else to play. It might just be the best thing for everyone involved.

Doesn't this team have any foresight? They have a 20 year old and a 19 year for goalies, pick one for #1, go with him, and start developing a 17/18 year old as back-up. They flip flop back and forth with their goalies so much I'm sure they have an identity crisis. Since Real got there has there EVER been a clear cut #1? I don't think so. They never let one guy play any number of games in succession. As soon as a guy loses one game he's out and the other guy is in. I'm no hockey expert but this just seems plain dumb to me.

WestLEAFfan
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey Sput, how's it going? Glad you're back in this forum. I know you ragged on CYR a bit, but you know what, you are entitled to your opinion. We SK fans tend to get our knickers in a knot when CYR gets bashed, but we're pretty good folks! Please understand, Real is like a son to Tme and I and tend to overact/over protect from time to time...OK all the time! :thumb:
What do you think is likely to happen with the COUGARS? Possible shake-ups? Possible trades? New coaches?

rebelfan
11-27-2007, 01:31 AM
What I'm saying is that this young man puts his team first, where several of the other COUGARS do not. You will not find a harder working, more dedicated player ANYWHERE in the WHL. His off ice regiment in the summer would make your head spin. I se it first hand, everday. He comes to the rink everyday expecting to play well and win. You don't think he is disgusted with himself and his team mates? He knows full well that he and his entire team are uneracheiving. If he could, he play forward/defence/goalie all himself if he knew it would spark his team.

Reading your fan mail and the support some of you guys give a goaltender who plays his heart out and still can't put up the wins make me wish you were Rebel fans. I shudder to think what Cyr would face if he were in Rebel uniform. Reimer gets shredded for being middle of the pack. No one seems to remember 'last year' like you guys do. I am sure your confidence in a struggling goalie will only help him play better. What you say about Cyr and his off ice regimen could be said of Reimer. No one works harder, no one is more loyal to his team and no one is more disgusted with himself after a loss yet we have abandoned him to the wolves, not just the fans but it seems management as well. It's good to see posts by people like you. Warmed my heart reading your posts knowing there are still loyal fans out there somewhere!

Alex Poulter was a favorite of mine to watch in Red Deer. I was very disappointed that he was traded and following him this year it is good to see he is being given a chance to prove what he really is capable of. Already in the top 50 goal scorers and we're barely a third into the season. Imagine what Poulter could be doing for the Rebels if his potential had been given a chance although his confidence here had been so badly eroded, it would have taken a long time for the boy to begin to believe in himself again. A great kid, I wish him every success and with fans like you, I am sure he won't disappoint.

WestLEAFfan
11-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks rebelfan, your comments are always welcome in here. It gets a bit boring talking to the same 2 or 3 people day after day. Sounds as if you have a good young man on the REBEL team to be proud of as well. It really pains me to see anyone who puts his/her team first and themselves second, get raked over the coals. CYR and REIMER/POULTER seemingly fit this category. I just wish there were more fans like us...you know the kind...perfect! :thumb:

smileyjones
11-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Perfect might be a stretch. Just kidding :wave:

TwoBits
11-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks rebelfan, your comments are always welcome in here. It gets a bit boring talking to the same 2 or 3 people day after day. Sounds as if you have a good young man on the REBEL team to be proud of as well. It really pains me to see anyone who puts his/her team first and themselves second, get raked over the coals. CYR and REIMER/POULTER seemingly fit this category. I just wish there were more fans like us...you know the kind...perfect! :thumb:

So now we're boring!!! :laugh: Just kidding. It can get a little boring when they are off for a few days and there's nothing to talk about.

WestLEAFfan
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Perfect might be a stretch. Just kidding :wave:

And darn proud of it! Boogaard'd

TwoBits
11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Reading your fan mail and the support some of you guys give a goaltender who plays his heart out and still can't put up the wins make me wish you were Rebel fans. I shudder to think what Cyr would face if he were in Rebel uniform. Reimer gets shredded for being middle of the pack. No one seems to remember 'last year' like you guys do. I am sure your confidence in a struggling goalie will only help him play better. What you say about Cyr and his off ice regimen could be said of Reimer. No one works harder, no one is more loyal to his team and no one is more disgusted with himself after a loss yet we have abandoned him to the wolves, not just the fans but it seems management as well. It's good to see posts by people like you. Warmed my heart reading your posts knowing there are still loyal fans out there somewhere!

Alex Poulter was a favorite of mine to watch in Red Deer. I was very disappointed that he was traded and following him this year it is good to see he is being given a chance to prove what he really is capable of. Already in the top 50 goal scorers and we're barely a third into the season. Imagine what Poulter could be doing for the Rebels if his potential had been given a chance although his confidence here had been so badly eroded, it would have taken a long time for the boy to begin to believe in himself again. A great kid, I wish him every success and with fans like you, I am sure he won't disappoint.

Welcome rebelfan, :wave: I just went back and read some of your past posts to get to know you, so to speak. I found it very interesting that I could have taken one of your posts about the goaltenders, changed the names and it would have totally applied to the Cougars. ;) Unfortunately, we are 100s of miles away from Cyr and not sure he's aware of our support, he doesn't read this stuff. He did "feel the love" on the Eastern swing and played awesome. Only one goal in S'toon and PA and 1st star each night.