PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Play Well On Home Ice

Scout
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Last updated at 10:43 AM on 23/11/07

Broncos play well on home ice during weekend
STEVEN MAH

The Swift Current Broncos finally played a consistent weekend of hockey and were rewarded with important points in divisional wins over the Brandon Wheat Kings and the Saskatoon Blades.

On Sunday night Eric Doyle scored his first career hat trick to lead the Swift Current Broncos to a 4-1 win over the visiting Saskatoon Blades.

The 18-year-old defenseman scored his first two goals on the powerplay and added his seventh of the season at even strength. Doyle has scored four of his seven goals this season on the powerplay.

Erik Felde added an empty net goal with 19 seconds remaining on the clock, his team leading 13th goal of the season.

Saskatoon threatened to make a game of it when they cut the Broncos lead to 2-1 with a five-on-three powerplay goal from Ondrej Fiala early in third period before Doyle scored his third of the game to ice it.

Broncos goaltender Travis Yonkman earned his 11th win of the season with a 22-save effort.

Blades netminder Garrett Zemlak turned aside 32 of 35 shots while remaining without a win at 0-3-1-0.

Doyle and the Broncos were pleased with a pair of weekend wins over Brandon and Saskatoon.

"It was a big two wins," said Doyle. "We outshot them in both games and only gave up two goals in the two games and had eight goals for. I would consider it a good weekend and we are ready to go on the road for a couple of games here."

Doyle was also relieved to avenge a 4-3 shootout loss to the Blades on Nov 10th when the Broncos squandered a 3-1 lead in the third period.

"We had that game in Saskatoon and they kind of crept back and upset us. We remember those things and were glad to pay them back."

The natural hat trick was the first time Doyle had scored more than one goal in a game in his WHL career.

"I have never had more than one goal in a game and it just seemed like everything I was shooting was going in. I had a few good passes on goals and it was just a good game."

Doyle admitted that having his teammates crash the crease helped out his stat line.

"The first goal, it was a perfect screen by Smitty (Zack Smith), the goalie had no idea where the puck was. All three goals were screens on point shots, just keeping it simple."

On Friday night the Broncos regained second place in the standings with a 4-1 win over the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings on Friday night.

Swift Current import forward David Stieler and defenseman Eric Doyle scored goals 5:56 apart in the middle period to help the Broncos post a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes.

Matt Tassone and Dale Weise with an empty net goal rounded out the Swift Current scoring.