PDA

View Full Version : Nov 24 Giants 3 at Tigers 4

Giants_24
11-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Never listened nor watched the game.

Just judging from the score sheet here, it looks like CPZ got back to the way he used to be, and the referee (Klein) only realized there was one team out there.

Penalties were 6 against the Giants, 1 against Medicine Hat.

Another note, it looks like Hay got a 10 minute penalty at the 20:00 mark of the third period. Anyone care to explain, or did he just get fed up about the refs?

Kassian
11-25-2007, 01:15 AM
The Giants didn't deserve the win tonight. They didn't play good at all for 40 minutes. Even though the score was tied 3-3 at one point it should have been 3-1 for Medicine Hat. The Giants got lucky with two very fluky goals.

whlfanatic
11-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Never listened nor watched the game.

Should have ended it there!! Of course the ref sucked, totally the only reason Vancouver lost!!

Tiger Trauma
11-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Honestly, I thought the giants could have played a little better
Tonight the tigers were the better team. I didn't see that relentless giants fore check until the last 5 minutes of the hockey game.

It wasn't as fast as last years contests, but it was a very entertaining game nonetheless

Sexsmith made 1 unbelievable save near the end of the game on a 2 on 1 breakaway, cross ice toe save.

I'm not sure why Hay got the penalty at the end, I was on my way out and didn't see it.

dondo
11-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Once again a box score recap with a little help from my friends. Reffing aside for now, I would appreciate hearing a bit more about the flow of the game, the goals and some of the details the box score lacks.

Tigers Nip Giants 4-3 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/November_24_TigersbkNipbkGiants_170.html)

Tigers Nip Giants
Vancouver 3 Medicine Hat 4

Don Robinson

At the risk of sounding like a complete homer, just reading the box score it looks like the officials screwed over the Giants yet again in Medicine Hat. The G-Men were tagged for 6 penalties against while the home team was given 1. One? Against a Tiger team like that? I don’t believe it. Lots of coincidental roughing minors in the game and to be blunt the Tigers do not play that clean of a game, actually no team in the dub plays that clean of a game. The Tigers didn’t play a clean game in the WHL finals and they most likely didn’t last night. Anyway let’s break down how the play went. Newest Giant CPZ (you all know who he is) got a goal and two assists tonight and for nothing else that’s one big positive to take out of this game. Michal Repik notched two points of his own, tallying a goal and a helper. By all accounts the Giants did not bring their “A” game to the arena and probably deserved not to get the W, but I for one am getting tired of how lop-sided the officiating has become when the Giants play in the crushed can. That said - it feels like the Giants played for all of 5 minutes at the end of the second and then took the rest of the night off.

Medicine Hat opened the scoring 2:57 into the contest when Shaun Vey tallied his fifth of the season. They padded that lead late in the second on the PP, when Farmanara put it past Sexsmith at 16:26, after failing to capitalise on a Mike Berube double-minor for high-sticking earlier in the period. The very next shift the Giants got one back. Michal Repik got one past Tomas Vosvrda at 16:40, assisted by CPZ and Brent Regner. Tyler Ennis replied re-establishing the two goal margin at 18:18, but the Giants weren’t ready to give up. CPZ scored less than 20 seconds later. Berube got the helper. The Giants got the tying marker before the clock ticked out in the middle frame. At 19:01 Craig Schira got the puck past Vosvrda, with the assists going to Repik and CPZ. The full come-back was not meant to be for Giants however as they failed to get a goal in the third and added insult to injury by giving one up on a too many men penalty (served by CPZ), which indicates to me that the focus and effort they had at the end of the second went bye-bye when they stepped on the ice in the third.

I have read a few comments made by posters on other sites to get a handle on the game, but can’t really get any sort of strong identity for how the game unfolded. It did not seem as if goals were hard to come-by tonight and that a bit more effort on the visitors part would have given them the game had they wanted it enough. It seems as though the reffing took a lot of the flow out of the game and by the kinds of penalties being called, physical play was being punished as not one of the penalties (you heard me, not one – which I find very surprising) were of the hooking, tripping variety, but were instead all based upon what was being perceived as possibly over-exuberant physical play. In my mind it is not the job of the officials to punish hard play, its their job to make sure that its an even playing surface for the teams, which I would say they failed to do tonight. Don Hay got a misconduct penalty at the end of the game and I can only guess as to why, but I don’t think I have to scratch my brain-pan too hard to come up with a culprit.

It also seems to me that the Giants are still playing that patient wait and see game and only seem to step up their game after they are down by one or two, or in the case of the Kelowna game on the 18th, THREE. It’s a disturbing trend that I want to see gone from their game. Inconsistency by the G-Men lately has been a bit frustrating as well, as the team matches up well with any other squad in the dub, but it just depends on whether or not the team decides to show up or not and that is most definitely NOT Don Hay hockey.

CPZ got three points on the evening and was in on all three goals. Repik was in on two of the three goals, scoring the opener and helping out on the Schira marker. Berube took the majority of the Giants penalties, being tagged for 3 of 6, with two of those being the double-minor previously mentioned. Justin Palazzo, in for Stefan Schneider, was –2 tonight on the ice for both of the even strength goals. The Giants barely out shot the Tigers 32-28, they went 0 for 1 on the PP (a stat which still makes me shake my head), and gave up 2 for 6 on the PP for the Tigers.

The Giants have 5 days off before heading up to PG for a one-off game (where have the two games in PG in two nights gone?) on Friday, then heading back home for two straight on Saturday and Sunday at the Coliseum -- for yet another 3 in 3 weekend, with a 10 hour bus trip there and back slotted in at the start.

I must say that the schedule this year is beyond ridiculous and instead of keeping the Giants out in the Central for a few more games this coming week, the WHL schedulers have decided to send them home for five days and then pack three games in a row, one of which is a road game a fair distance away. Hopefully next year the schedulers get their heads out of their collective butts and hash out a reasonable schedule that takes advantage of teams being on the road in a given area for more than just two games. It seems the league has loaded up the weekends, but really everyone can’t be on the weekend all the time, can they? Let’s take advantage of the weekdays to put teams out of each other’s conference together. The problem is that the league thinks the fans probably prefer only weekend games, but the players are the ones who are suffering, but I think the fans are suffering as well seeing two tired teams for the Sunday afternoon games ( a tough game to get up for at the best of times) and not watching the two squads best hockey they have to give.

The Giants next game will be in Prince George on Friday November 30th. Puck drops at 7pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Daine Todd
2. Tyler Ennis
3. Casey Pierro-Zabotel (CPZ)

rinkrat
11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
The PG game has been moved to Thursday the 29th.
Also it was Shaun's brother Linden who scored for the Tigers. Also the CC is in Moose Jaw,but we get your point.
Just thought I'd give you a little help bud. :clown:

dondo
11-25-2007, 02:55 PM
doh yeah gotta read better and sorry to the MH fans and the MJ fans I suppose as well -- I guess the crushed can just got stuck in my head (and how could it not) .. just insert Medicine Hat Arena where you see crushed can ... and Linden Vey .. thanks RR ... so I suck . :p

edit: when was the game moved? Where did you hear this RR?

rinkrat
11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
edit: when was the game moved? Where did you hear this RR?

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.html

Now with a record of 18-7-1-2, the Giants return home for a few days before getting back on the road next week. They'll be back on the ice Thursday November 29 to take on the Prince George Cougars. Game time is 7:00pm PST.

longtimefan7
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
There were actually 8 called against the Giants...not 6. A single and double minor to Berube, 2 singles to Blum and the other 3 individual...and then of course the misconduct to Hay at the end.

dondo
11-26-2007, 01:42 AM
There were actually 8 called against the Giants...not 6. A single and double minor to Berube, 2 singles to Blum and the other 3 individual...and then of course the misconduct to Hay at the end.

um no -- if you look those are not PP opportunities -- coincidentals don't count as penalties -- in the "who had a man-advantage" way.

edit: oh and RR that's the same sched I downloaded at the beginning of the season, but mine says Nov 30th -- wth?? :confused: guess I should dl it again and see if there are any other changes.

dondo
11-26-2007, 01:49 AM
guess what -- if you click on that schedule (to download it) you get one which says that the game is on the 30th, but the hyperlink flash-y one on the front page in the calendar says its the 29th -- not surprised, but which one is correct?

Considering that the league is pushing the weekend games, my bet is on the Friday

Okay folks -- here it is -- I just looked and my official PRINTED one says the 30th. So we can hear it on everybody's favorite station with the broadcast range of a gnat -- Evolution (sucks) 107.9.

Kassian
11-26-2007, 02:17 AM
The game against Prince George is on Thursday the 29th. It was changed over a week ago. Toigo wanted it changed and he got his wish.

Calgary, AB – The Western Hockey League has announced the game between the Vancouver Giants and the Prince George Cougars, originally scheduled for Friday, November 30th in Prince George, has been rescheduled and will now be played Thursday, November 29th at 7:00 pm, at the CN Centre in Prince George.

Link. (http://whl.ca/news/index.php?id=8026&showToc=1&)

dondo
11-26-2007, 03:19 AM
sweet -- thanks Kassian -- I appreciate the linkage.

Tiger Trauma
11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Well whatever Don Hay did he earned a fine for it.

$500.00 for g.m. at Medicine Hat on November 24.

whlfanatic
11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
He forgot to tell his players that the cheap shots and penalties will be called!!

Kassian
11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
He forgot to tell his players that the cheap shots and penalties will be called!!

:rolleyes: