PDA

View Full Version : Kraus embracing his new mentorship role

nivek_wahs
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/News/54/

Kraus embracing his new mentorship role

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2007
Tim Kraus didn't just receive a passing grade during his first semester with the Regina Pats.

He got an 'A.'

The 20-year-old centre was named Regina's third assistant captain during the team's recent road trip, an honour bestowed by head coach Curtis Hunt. Kirt Hill and Brett Leffler are the other hand-picked alternates behind captain Logan Pyett.

Kraus, a new addition to the Pats, didn't serve in an official leadership capacity under his former coach, Vancouver Giants bench boss Don Hay. However, Kraus's tug-of-war with Hay hasn't carried over to Regina, where he eagerly embraced a mentorship role.

"It's definitely a good sign," Kraus said of his increased responsibility. "Over in Vancouver there was no way in the world I would have ever had something like that. It just says I have my head on straight right now and I'm doing things the right way."

Kraus's efforts haven't gone unnoticed.

"He has come in here and provided good leadership, good direction in terms of his play and the attention to detail in the coaches' systems," said GM Brent Parker. "He has a ton of experience in the league that can be invaluable as we go down the stretch. He has shown us that he wants to be a leader, wants to do the right things and help us be better."

As a veteran player, Kraus considers it his responsibility to lead by example, regardless of whether he has a letter stitched on his jersey. That said, he understands that the 'A' will place him under the microscope, especially with the team's younger players.

"Obviously the things I do are looked at more closely," he said. "I have to make sure I'm doing the right things and not getting too high or too low."

Kraus arrived in Regina with lofty expectations on Sept. 27, when he was the key figure in a four-player deal with the Giants. The slick centre was acquired along with defenceman Juraj Valach for blueliner Craig Schira and forward Mike Reich.

Kraus made a immediate impact with the Pats, who lead the East Division at 18-11-0-0. The California native has contributed significant minutes as Regina's No. 1 centre, filling a huge void in the offence with 30 points in 27 games. But his contributions go beyond what appears on the scoresheet, including the unsung role of a top faceoff man and penalty killer.

"I think he has probably been even better than what we thought," said Parker. "We'd like to see him score a little bit more (than six goals) but he has always been more of a playmaking type guy.

"I would agree he definitely doesn't get enough credit for being more of a complete player."

EXTRAS: Pats assistant coach Terry Perkins is running practices this week, with help from part-time assistant Todd Strueby and goalie consultant Ryan Cyr. Head coach Curtis Hunt is away for the Canada-Russia ADT Challenge, which began Wednesday night in Cranbrook. Hunt is guiding a team of WHL all-stars which includes four of his own players: Pyett, D Nick Ross, RW Jordan Eberle and D Colten Teubert. Ross and Teubert both took part in Wednesday's game. They'll be joined by Pyett and Eberle tonight in Medicine Hat for the conclusion of the series. All four players are slated to be back in time for Regina's first home game in almost three weeks -- Friday night against the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Fight Guy
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I am not surprised by this at all. He has shown a lot since joining the Pats and overcoming his previous adversity. I figured he might get an 'A' before the end of the year...and I guess it happened. Good for him. Can't wait for some more hockey tomorrow night! Been a long few weeks. :p