PDA

View Full Version : PG 4 Van 3

TwoBits
11-29-2007, 11:37 PM
PG 4 Van 3

Need I say more? :clap:

Puckmam and Smiley, were you able to go to the game?

smileyjones
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
At some meetings in Calgary all week. Brought a nice smile to my face when I got in an checked the laptop tonite punk rock

I would always like to see the Cougs generate some more shots but there defensive effort must've been excellent to limit Vancouver to under 30. Also good to see Tyrell and Wishart contribute positively after the ADT game.

If you go into the Giants page on this site later, you'll probably get a pretty decent (but usually Giants biased :laugh: ) recap. The guys over there usually provide a pretty good write up.

puckmam
11-30-2007, 04:42 AM
TwoBits no I didn't make the game. Sounds like it was a good one. Way to go COUGS!

I went to the Giants site for their recap after their first post calling the COUGS a "a bottom feeding team"

John
11-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Good job Tommy,finally guyz... :clap:

WestLEAFfan
11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Good morning Smiley and Puckmam. Did you read the Giants forum yet? They didn't like the loss!

puckmam
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
WestLeafFan yes I saw the same quote you did. Good job boys!

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106352&Itemid=564

Shootout smiles on Cougars (0)
(Sports) Thursday, 29 November 2007, 22:47 PST
TED CLARKE, Citizen staff

Tommy Tartaglione has done it again. For the second time in two attempts on home ice, the Prince George Cougars goalie found a way to beat his former team, the high-flying Vancouver Giants.

The best and worst teams in the WHL’s B.C. Division clashed Thursday night at CN Centre and it was the fifth-place Cougars who came out on top, beating the Giants 4-3 in a shootout.

The ever-entertaining Tartaglione was far from perfect in the game but was invincible in two Giant attempts to score in the shootout.

“I struggled tonight and the boys really bailed me out when I needed them,” said Tartaglione. “I wasn’t as good as I can be with the puck and there were a couple plays where I kicked out big rebounds but the boys were there to clear them out for me.”

Alex Poulter and Ty Wishart each scored in the shootout on goalie Tyson Sexsmith as the Cougars went 2-for-2. At the other end, Tartaglione stoned Casey Pierro-Zabotel and Jonathon Blum. The Cats goalie stayed on his feet to follow every move of Pierro-Zabotel’s deke attempt, then stacked the pads to force Blum to shot high over the net.

Tartaglione, a 19-year-old native of Harbor City, Calif., shut out the Giants 3-0 on Oct. 29.

“I’ve been pretty good with shootouts,” he said. “I won the first shootout in Vancouver Giants’ history when I was 17, against Kelowna. I dealt a lot with shootouts in roller hockey and they treat me well.”

In the only other shootout game this season for the Cats, in Swift Current on Oct. 20, Real Cyr made all three saves and Wishart notched the goal.

The Giants had the Cats backed into a corner, down 2-0 until the late stages of the second period. Tartaglione got into the act of killing a penalty but his clearing pass up the middle didn’t get through Giants centre Mike Piluso, and that led to the opening goal, 14:24 into the game. Piluso got the puck over to Evander Kane, and the 16-year old was allowed to pounce on his own rebound and tuck it into the goal four seconds after the power-play expired.

The Giants added to the total early in the second. Tartaglione made the original save off Michal Repik but the puck bounced off the end boards and came out to Mario Bliznak, who slid it into the open cage with a backhand.

It took a Cougars’ power play to get them back into the game. With Brent Regner serving a holding penalty, Wishart made a nimble move to hold the zone and fed a cross-ice pass to Jesse Dudas, who saw Greg Gardner standing in the slot. Gardner’s low snap shot found a seam through the wickets of Sexsmith.

Then it was Dudas’s turn to shine. After missing eight games with a bruised thigh, the 18-year-old joined the rush and yelled for a pass that never came from Gardner. Dudas circled behind the net and got the puck in open ice at close range to wire a wrist shot high over Sexsmith’s shoulder.

“It’s been quite awhile for me and it's great to get back out there with the guys -- it’s so much fun for me,” said Dudas. “Things were going easy for us when we started winning and we’re going to start winning some games again and get out of the bottom of the pack.”

The Cougars lost nine straight games before they ended their slump Saturday in Kelowna. The Cats desperately missed Dudas and his offensive touch on the point during his absence.

“I haven’t scored too many goals and that one felt good,” he said.

Dana Tyrell got the crowd of 3,654 buzzing with a rink-length rush that put the Cats ahead 3-2. Tyrell put on a burst of speed and turned Blum inside-out, leaving a clear lane to the goal. Tyrell didn’t get everything on his shot, but it was enough to fool Sexsmith.

Blum atoned for that mistake in the third period, tying it up at 10:49 on the power play with a big-league shot from the point that just missed Wishart’s diving attempt to block it. Thanks to some aggressive work in the offensive zone by Tyrell, the Cats survived a late power-play handed to the Giants when Marcus Watson got caught tripping behind the Cougars’ net.

The Cougars 11-18-0-0 remain solidly-entrenched in fifth place, six points behind fourth-place Kamloops. The Giants 18-7-1-3 are still atop the B.C. Division, 17 points ahead of Prince George.

KITTY LITTER: The Meet the Pack promotion sponsored by The Citizen pumped 1,000 free ticket holders through the gate... Dudas welcomed Kane into the game with a crushing hit along the sideboards early in the first period... A speedy recovery is on order for public address announcer Rob Mitchell, who is in Vancouver hospital awaiting double-bypass heart surgery... The Cats hit the highway today to travel to Red Deer, a Saturday date, and they’ll play the Calgary Hitmen Sunday afternoon.

They are pretty quiet in the Vancouver Forum :laugh: but this is a pretty good write-up.

Way to go Dudas, 1st game back and 1st star.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on what was going on between Kane and Tartaglione.

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
WestLeafFan yes I saw the same quote you did. Good job boys!

If the Cougars are bottom feeders, they had a "Giant" meal last night. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

puckmam
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Let's hope for Rob's speedy recovery! He's a true asset to home games!

WestLeafan - maybe the meal will slow them down. One thing about being on the bottom - there's only one way to go and that's UP :)

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, one game at a time. I think their chances are pretty good Saturday if they continue playing hard.

dondo
12-01-2007, 04:01 PM
congrats on the win boys -- hopefully we can get to you the next time -- come by the Giants boards anytime and discuss the game(s) -- and I'll leave the NHL comments to the NHL boards from now on --okay?

TwoBits
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I checked the schedule, that's not until February. Talk to you then. ;)

dondo
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
sounds good :thumb: