PDA

View Full Version : Nov 29 Giants 3 Cougars 4 SO

dondo
11-30-2007, 12:53 AM
I hate shootouts, they aren't hockey. Hockey is a team game not a freaking skill competition, but whatever.

It feels like the Giants had most of the chances tonight, but failed to put the nail in the coffin. They allowed a bottom feeding team to get back into a game they should have been able to shut down easily and for that they need a good slap upside the head. Did not listen to or watch this game, so this a box score only recap. I'd love to hear from Cougar and Giants fans who saw the game.

Cougars Scratch Giants 4-3 SO - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/November_29_CougarsbkScratchbkGiants_171.html)

Cougars Scratch Giants
Vancouver 3 Prince George 4 SO

Don Robinson

The Giants played a patient game tonight, but simply fell apart in the second when they allowed the home to team score three goals to their one. The Giants opened the scoring 14:24 into the first period. 16 yr old Evander Kane scored his 7th of the season putting the puck past Tommy T, the usual back-up in PG who always seems to play against his former squad. Mike Piluso and Neil Manning garnered the assists. Mario Bliznak gave the Giants a 2-0 lead early in the second (assists to Michal Repik and Blum), but after that the wheels fell off the Giants defensive game as they gave up three consecutive goals in the middle stanza. Mid-second Greg Gardner opened the Cougars scoring on the PP. Jesse Dudas tied the game at the late stages of the middle frame and Dana Tyrell put the home team ahead with seconds left in the second period. Jonathon Blum managed to tie the game mid-third, but neither team could get that go-ahead goal. The game went to an overtime where neither team were able to score and then a shootout which saw neither Giants player score and both PG players tally a marker. Both CPZ and Piluso failed to hit the twine during the shootout, but Alex Poulter and Ty Wishart both got their goals to get PG the win.

The Giants out shot the home team by 9 goals (28-19). Each team tonight got one on the PP, but PG managed a 50% plateau getting 1 for 2, while the Giants got 1 for 4 on the man-advantage. I didn’t hear or see the game, so I am going off of the box score alone, but it feels like the Giants sagged miserably in the second and it cost them the game. They also need to pull up their shootout as they have been miserable. As much as I despise that the shootout is a reality now, it is a reality and the teams have to focus on that part of their game a bit more. Giants come back down to Vancouver for a game on Saturday versus the much hated Everett Silvertips. The puck drops at 7:00pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Jesse Dudas
2. Dana Tyrell
3. Jonathon Blum

WestLEAFfan
11-30-2007, 07:22 AM
It feels like the Giants had most of the chances tonight, but failed to put the nail in the coffin. They allowed a bottom feeding team to get back into a game they should have been able to shut down easily and for that they need a good slap upside the head. Did not listen to or watch this game, so this a box score only recap. I'd love to hear from Cougar and Giants fans who saw the game.

Bottom feeding team you say? Perhaps a better choice of word would get you further. We won, enough said.

Swando
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Bottom feeding team you say? Perhaps a better choice of word would get you further. We won, enough said.__________________
Not trying to make excuses for Dondo, but I'm sure the poor play of the Giants last night got the better of him in his choice of words.
This league and its standings have me pulling my hair out at times...anyone can beat anyone on a given day...Guess that makes for good competition..myself, as a Giant fan find this hard to take, as we've been spoiled the last 2 yrs.

dondo
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
PG is the fourth worst in the league (a meager 22pts) -- their record for the past ten games is 2-8-0-0 (including that shootout win). I don't know about you, but I would call that bottom-feeding.

I think PG needs fans that aren't Leaves fans (wearing blue-tinted glasses for the past 30 years) or homers with regard to how well their team is playing. Right now WLF your team is a bottom feeding team. 4th from the bottom of the league is in my mind a team worthy of the epithet and I stand by my assessment.

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
PG is the fourth worst in the league (a meager 22pts) -- their record for the past ten games is 2-8-0-0 (including that shootout win). I don't know about you, but I would call that bottom-feeding.

I think PG needs fans that aren't Leaves fans (wearing blue-tinted glasses for the past 30 years) or homers with regard to how well their team is playing. Right now WLF your team is a bottom feeding team. 4th from the bottom of the league is in my mind a team worthy of the epithet and I stand by my assessment.

I guess that leaves me.

Hey can you confirm the rumour that Sexsmith was off his game last night because of the injury he received at the ADT Challenge? What was it, oh ya, a bruised ego. :laugh:

WestLEAFfan
11-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Stand by it all you want. The score clock doesn't lie.

hobster
11-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Sexsmith in the adt game was no better than Maniume Rehiume was when she played a game for the t-bay lighting years ago and thats a girl. i
probablly got the spelling of her name wrong but who gives a crap.

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 05:27 PM
:laugh: Good one Hobster!!!!

I think Sexsmith learned a valuable lesson Wednesday night. If you wanna play with the Big Dogs, you can't pee like a puppy. :D

Oh, and I think it's Manone Rheaume.

hobster
11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
:laugh: Good one Hobster!!!!

I think Sexsmith learned a valuable lesson Wednesday night. If you wanna play with the Big Dogs, you can't pee like a puppy. :D

Oh, and I think it's Manone Rheaume.Opps my bad it's happy hour back here in Sask hahaha, back at you good one you brough up as well.

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, I guess somebody has to be happy. They must still be mopping up their tears in Vancouver, nobody has anything to say about us Saskatchewians invading their forum.

WestLEAFfan
11-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Well, I guess somebody has to be happy. They must still be mopping up their tears in Vancouver, nobody has anything to say about us Saskatchewians invading their forum.

Hey, quit trying to stir up trouble you two! :thumb:

hobster
11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Ok fine GO RIDERS GO LIONS SUCK haha

TwoBits
11-30-2007, 07:11 PM
OK, I just think my Goon designation momentarily went to my head. :laugh: I'll go back to the PG forum. Peace punk rock

rinkrat
11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow,quite the intillectual hockey discussion going on here.
Hopefully this doesn't turn into the White board. This place has been a great site for a few years and getting better.
Thanks to the Mods and HAF :D

dondo
12-01-2007, 06:24 AM
beautiful responses boys - class all the way (oh btw congrats to the Green Riders I always love watching the Roughies in the Grey Cup - I was hoping for a bit more from both teams as the game was not what you would call a classic.. more of a win by default, but I have no problem with either squad)

-- btw WLF my button-pushing post was more to make you realize how silly you were being about one stray comment -- didn't realize the Coug fans had such thin skins and to be brutally honest -- I personally hate the Leaves (plural of Leaf is Leaves), especially since their fans think they are the centre of the hockey universe and they haven't done anything since the league expanded from six teams -- so I try to needle Leaf fans whenever I can.

... sure we lost a game in a shootout and we were shutout the last time we were up in PG, not sure why you guys have our number in PG, but you seem to this season .. we are still the top of the BC division although distressingly sagging a bit lately, but I trust the boys will pull up the socks and end up at or near the top of the conference come playoff time. :thumb:

WestLEAFfan
12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
beautiful responses boys - class all the way (oh btw congrats to the Green Riders I always love watching the Roughies in the Grey Cup - I was hoping for a bit more from both teams as the game was not what you would call a classic.. more of a win by default, but I have no problem with either squad)

-- btw WLF my button-pushing post was more to make you realize how silly you were being about one stray comment -- didn't realize the Coug fans had such thin skins and to be brutally honest -- I personally hate the Leaves (plural of Leaf is Leaves), especially since their fans think they are the centre of the hockey universe and they haven't done anything since the league expanded from six teams -- so I try to needle Leaf fans whenever I can.

... sure we lost a game in a shootout and we were shutout the last time we were up in PG, not sure why you guys have our number in PG, but you seem to this season .. we are still the top of the BC division although distressingly sagging a bit lately, but I trust the boys will pull up the socks and end up at or near the top of the conference come playoff time. :thumb:

Had I known that I would stir up this much contoversy with one lttle reply to a somewhat backhanded comment, I'd have steered clear of this forum. I apologize for coming across as anything but a devoted hockey fan. I probably over-reacted to the "bottom feeding" comment. A lengthy losing streak can do that! As far as taking heat for being happy that the COUGARS are capable of scratching out a win from time to time I do not apolgize. It just happened to be the GIANTS the other night. My skin is a thick as it comes, it has to be, have you noticed where the LEAFS are in the standings?!? :thumb: Let's get back to discussing hockey!

dondo
12-01-2007, 03:57 PM
true enough WLF -- feel free to drop by and post here -- I'd love to know how the game actually went in PG ... we all are just fans and at times rabid.

Bottom-feeding was not meant as a personal slight just an observation, and also when I write recaps I often use volatile language to get a reaction (which it did).

The beauty of this site is that it isn't filled with spammers and trolls and although we definitely need a decided difference of opinion (cause where's the fun be in agreeing all the time) I let my Leaf feelings push me a bit too far .. so I will back away from the slam and apologize.

and about your skin -- yes I have and -- touche :D

WestLEAFfan
12-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Classy comment dondo! Thanks. And the invitation to comment in the PG forum is open as well. :) As far as the LEAF jabs, I've heard them all buddy! :thumb: I can dish em' out as well as I can take them, so definitely no hard feelings over that.