PDA

View Full Version : Mueller on the Rise

Tipped Off
11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Minneapolis Star-Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1579885.html

Mueller has made a rapid rise to hockey's top level

The 19-year-old Minnesotan is playing forward for the Phoenix Coyotes and making an impression there.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Peter Mueller played one season of high school hockey for Breck in 2002-03. He was a 6-1, 180-pound eighth grader. His idea at the time was to play for the Gophers.

If the talented forward had followed a traditional path, Mueller could have been playing this winter as a Gophers' freshman.

Mueller went to Ann Arbor, Mich., to join the U.S. development program as a 15-year-old in the fall of 2003. He sped up his classes to graduate from high school a year ahead of schedule.

He played for the 17-and-under team in 2003-04, giving a verbal commitment to the Gophers after that first season in Ann Arbor. A year later, he was a star on the 18-and-under team with 26 goals in 40 games.

There wasn't much to be accomplished spending another season in Ann Arbor. He signed with Everett [Wash.] in the major junior Western League.

That ended his chance to play in college, but by then Mueller was looking for the best path to reach the NHL.

"It was my call to go to the Western League," Mueller said. "My family was going to support whatever a decision I made."

Mueller turned 18 in April 2006 and was eligible for the NHL draft. He had been the youngest member of Team USA in the World Junior tournament and impressed everyone, including Wild personnel director Tommy Thompson.

He returned from that tournament talking about all the American talent. He had a special enthusiasm for Mueller.

The expectation was that Mueller would go in the top half-dozen of the June draft. The Wild had the ninth selection, so there wasn't a lot of conversation about Mueller landing here.

Suddenly, the first seven picks were made, Mueller still was available, and the Wild looked as if it might be headed for a decision: Mueller or James Sheppard, a Canadian forward who had been in the team's sights?

Phoenix solved the problem. The Coyotes took Mueller with the eighth choice. He played one more season in Everett, totaling 78 points (21 goals) in 51 games.

His coach there was Kevin Constantine. He's legendary for his hard-nosed way -- so much so that the Wild hired him for this season to straighten out an undisciplined situation at its Houston farm club.

"He'll get you to play the way you're supposed to play," Mueller said Wednesday, when asked about playing for Constantine.

The 19-year-old was in the visitors locker room at Xcel Energy Center, following a game-day skate with the Coyotes, and Wednesday night, he was in the lineup for the 21st time in 22 games, and the first time in his home state.

"I'm not nervous at all, just excited," Mueller said. "I've been looking forward to this game -- playing in front of my family and friends -- since the start of the season."

Mueller had to be kept in the NHL or returned to his junior team. "I knew they were going to give me a chance to stay," he said. "I had to show in camp that I wasn't overmatched."

The decision to keep him was that of Wayne Gretzky, the Coyotes' coach and managing partner.

Mueller entered Wednesday's game with six goals and four assists in 20 games. He has averaged 14 minutes, including significant time on the power play.

"Peter has been fine," Gretzky said. "He's a great young man who loves to play the game. He's good with the puck. We're happy with his progress and production."

The Great One paused, then said: "He's a 19-year-old who still could be playing juniors, and he's one of our better offensive players."

The Coyotes' Keith Ballard, the defenseman from Baudette and the Gophers, turned 25 on Monday

"This is my third NHL season, and feel like a crusty veteran in this locker room," he said. "We have a bunch of young guys in here, but Peter ... 19?

"I can't imagine that. When I was 19, I was trying to keep my head above water in the WCHA."