PDA

View Full Version : Chynoweth BATTLE....

Big Ern
11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
The Broncos host the Kootenay Ice tonight at the i-Plex. This matchup is always interesting, because Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth, and Kootenay's Vice President/GM Jeff Chynoweth, are brothers.

The Broncos had been dominated by the Ice for three years straight up until last year. Swift finally ended that trend last year when they took an OT win over Kootenay here at home, and also beat them once in Cranbrook last season, 4-2.

It's always a great battle between these two clubs....looking forward to an exciting matchup tonight.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Flathead
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
The Broncos host the Kootenay Ice tonight at the i-Plex. This matchup is always interesting, because Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth, and Kootenay's Vice President/GM Jeff Chynoweth, are brothers.

The Broncos had been dominated by the Ice for three years straight up until last year. Swift finally ended that trend last year when they took an OT win over Kootenay here at home, and also beat them once in Cranbrook last season, 4-2.

It's always a great battle between these two clubs....looking forward to an exciting matchup tonight.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!
The last 15 minutes where exciting.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I think I control the fate of the broncos. Every game I pick them to win, they lose, and vice versa. Ive kind of accepted it now, so whatever.

The pats needed to get some more distance on the broncos, so I had to pick you guys to win, nothing personal. Maybe if your nice, I will pick the other team to win a few games so the broncos get some wins.

Big Ern
11-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Maybe it was me. I posted before the game tonight, and I never do that. If you're superstitious, I guess you blame Big Ern.

On to the game now:

-that was the worst start to a game Swifty has had all season long.

-should Deano have pulled Yonks after only two goals? Perhaps it was a bit quick on Chynoweth's part. But as a coach you make moves like that in hopes of firing up your team...Yonks being pulled doesn't mean it's a knock against him. It was likely just a move to fire the team up, which they certainly needed in that situation.

-the Broncos have allowed seven goals in two of the last three games. Defense might be a bit of an issue. Who would have dreamed that at the start of the season? I expect a move of some kind to aquire a "Rumsey type" defenseman before the deadline. Offense is certainly not an issue this year. But it seems that stay-at-home guy is a missing piece of our puzzle. However, I could be mistaken. Perhaps?

-Swift Current made the score respectable in the final period......Dale Weise, Levi Nelson, and Geordie Wudrick were on a line together, and looked like world beaters. They can do that.....but it was kinda' too little too late. Weise however, scored two goals, while Wudrick and Nelson picked up two assists each. Also, David Steiler and Jan Dalecky each had a goal....call it Czech night.

-credit Joel Rogers for two fights tonight. He took matters into his own hands, and tried to get a spark under his team. Good job.

-what a nightmare for Spencer McAvoy. Being injured, he got the nod to replace the assistant coach, Tim Kehler tonight, who is away in BC. A terrible start to the game couldn't have made him feel happy about his coaching. However....I don't believe the problem was coaching tonight. The guys just did not come to play.

-the Broncos should be motivated enough for Brandon tomorrow. Let's hope the guys find a way to plug things up a bit more than they have of late. Our defense needs to solidify, and the bigger and older guys have to start hitting more out there.....from our captain on out. Set the tone, if you will..

-it's a long season. Sometimes you need a big hit to learn something. That's the purpose of the season...to learn as you go.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

sbtatter
11-30-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm a little afraid the Bronco's are going to be fired up tomorrow night now!!!

Split the D
12-01-2007, 01:36 AM
With tending like that it makes me scared about playoffs. Yonks didnt look like it was his night so the coach gives Curtis a go and he looked bad at times. He didnt have a whole lot of help but its not like there goals were amazing anyways. Things need to be cleared up I always thought Curtis would be a great tender and still will be Im sure. Just has been having a bad start so far. Hope things change for him. Regroup and keep coming strong theres tons of games left. Try to be positive they have the talent thats forsure.

Scout
12-01-2007, 07:12 AM
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

Steve DaSilva collected a hat trick to pace the Kootenay Ice to a 7-5 win over the host Swift Current Broncos on Friday night at the Credit Union iplex.

Kootenay held period leads of 4-0 and 5-1 before a wild six goal third period where the Broncos made a valiant comeback effort.

DaSilva now has 20 goals on the season thanks to a pair of powerplay goals and a key third period even strength marker which had given the Ice a 7-2 lead. The overage forward also extended his point scoring streak to 12 games.

Steele Boomer and Dustin Sylvester chipped in with a goal and an assist each for the Ice. Josh Gionfriddo scored his first of the year in his first game with Kootenay after being acquired earlier this week from Lethbridge, while rookie Joe Antilla scored his first career WHL goal to open the scoring 3:08 into the first period.

The Broncos rebounded with two powerplay goals from Dale Weise, who now leads Swift Current with 15 goals, plus single markers from Erik Felde, Jan Dalecky and David Stieler.

Linemates Geordie Wudrick and Levi Nelson both earned a pair of helpers on Weise’s powerplay markers.

Kootenay scored three powerplay goals in 10 chances, while Swift Current notched a pair of powerplay goals in five opportunities.

Ice netminder Kris Lazaruk won his 11th game of the season with a 21-save performance.

Broncos starting netminder Travis Yonkman gave up two goals on just seven shots during a 10:46 appearance. Rookie back-up Ian Curtis allowed five goals on 24 shots in a relief appearance.

The Ice improve to 9-0-1-0 in their last 10 games and are now 16-10-3-0 on the season. The Broncos fall to 15-9-0-5 on the year.

The Broncos will host the Brandon Wheat Kings on Saturday night. Swift Current and Brandon are tied for second spot in the WHL’s East Division with the Wheat Kings holding two games in hand.

Toswammi
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
With tending like that it makes me scared about playoffs. Yonks didnt look like it was his night so the coach gives Curtis a go and he looked bad at times. He didnt have a whole lot of help but its not like there goals were amazing anyways. Things need to be cleared up I always thought Curtis would be a great tender and still will be Im sure. Just has been having a bad start so far. Hope things change for him. Regroup and keep coming strong theres tons of games left. Try to be positive they have the talent thats forsure.

Curtis is a young goalie that is still maturing. He will be good, you can count on that. His biggest problem right now is he is battling some confidence issues on the ice (or at least that is what it looks like from the stands). Give him some time and it will work out.

ointhecreek
12-01-2007, 10:05 AM
but I thought it was a disgraceful performance by all. Wasn't even entertaining like the majority of the games this year. No hitting to speak of, no speed, no heart. Brought back memories of a few years of rebuilding. Hopefully the players(other then a few) feel embarrassed and come out tonight to redeem themselves and play like we all know they can. Just my opinion of course.

d-man
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Look for a move involving a backup goalie and a stay at home defenseman sooner rather than later. Take a look at the 19yo on the roster right now. Yonks, Nelson, Smith, Weise, Dansereau, Steiler, & McAvoy only 3 of these guys can return as 20yo next year. 29 games into the season you realistically have to plan for the future. Is there room for Yonks as a 20yo next season? I hope so but I don't see Curtis as the number 1 guy either, slow movement and weak glove. He's only played in a handful of games but he does practice everyday and by now should be adjusting to the WHL game faster than he has IMO.
Another stay at home defenseman is needed. RJ and Claffey looked wiped last night and seem to be the only ones trying to mount any defense. Wilson's rushes are pretty, but rarely do they result in anything and often a guy like Steiler is left covering the point and defending the turnover rush. Steiler's value is in the slot and rushing the net not defending a 3 on 2.
OK that's my Saturday morning rant. Let's hope the boys show up at 7:30 tonight.

Flathead
12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Despite giving up 5 goals, I thought Curtis looked to be better last night, than he has all season. IMO, all but the first he let in were pretty nice goals and he had zero help.
We need another stay at home, rough, tough, dman. Mabye as well, instead of the whole defensive group having the green light to go, limit it to Wilson and Doyle, and have the others actually stay back and be defensmen?
We need to stop giving up so many goals, we're scoring 5, 6, 7, goals a game and losing, that should be enough goals to win a game.
I like this team alot and all the players on it, and when we play a full 60 minutes as a team we are scary good, I hope we can do that tonight on Brandon.
Any word on Tassone, he was working that guy really good last night and then just stopped and looked for the linesman to break it up. Looked like a shoulder injury possibly??

CHtoo
12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
The way he was holding his hand it looked to me like maybe a broken bone in the hand.
Another reason not to fight.

ointhecreek
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree with d-man, I just don't see Curtis as a #1 goaltender. He gets beat a lot on his glove side and seems to be ducking alot like he's scared of the puck. If Yonks goes down we will be in big trouble.
I also have to agree with Flathead, to many defense men getting the green light to rush. Not so bad when one does it but not both at once. We need someone to stay back. Seems like Wilson is always in the offensive zone and leaving the back end some one else's responsibility. Defense needs to improve. And for goodness sake, put the puck on net! To much trying the perfect deek and no shots on net. We have the talent, just need to use it the right way. Haven't been doing it lately.

Ps. Thanks to whoever is responsible for putting the speakers up. People in that end can now hear the announcements and feel like part of the crowd. applause

Big Ern
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
The way he was holding his hand it looked to me like maybe a broken bone in the hand.
Another reason not to fight.

Matt Tassone should be good to go. He just snapped his arm out, and they simply snapped it back in place....if I understood him correctly.

Flathead
12-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Matt Tassone should be good to go. He just snapped his arm out, and they simply snapped it back in place....if I understood him correctly.
I thought it was something with his arm, because he didn't move it at all after the fight, just kinda held it there. I thought it looked like a shoulder, thanks for that Ern. We need Tassone out there he's a good player.

Broncs in RD
12-01-2007, 05:09 PM
IMO we need more from RJ a 20 with 2 points and a minus player on a dominatly plus team? I know he is local and will stand up for his teammates, but as a 20 he needs to do more I also see a big deal in the works maybe RJ for a Benn Olsen type player, and yes I see Yonks here as a 20 yo so IMO either Nelson, Dans or Weise being dangled on the block, whoever can fetch more on the market. I thought Deano would have made an attempt at Tyrell/ Vanduyhoven or Wishhart. What about the American goalie we had, maybe get Curtis some playing time in the BCJHL and get his confidence back.